In Love and At War

As The World Turns

Two Weeks Later [Condo, Seoul]

It's been a week since I beat my brother and Ashley in the courtroom. I thought I did enough to discourage him from trying to do anything to me again, but I think I was gravely mistaken. Even after having to pay me 10 million dollars for damages and having his medical license revoked, he seemed confident that he had something on me. He acted like he understood how to get to me, how to win against me. Perhaps, the thing that resonates most in my head is what he told me as he walked out of the courtroom. 

Maybe there was something I missed over why he chose to attack me?

Now I'm losing sleep just trying to analyze every little thing in his statement...

Be careful, brother, the war has only begun. This time, I have allies on all sides...

The Next Day [SM Building, Seoul]

Today's just an average day in the office since there aren't many legal issues facing SM at the moment. I still can't get my mind off of my brother and I needed help analyzing the situation and acting accordingly. So, I called Michelle in the hopes that she could offer some advice as to what I should do with him. Now, we're talking at my desk over the possiblities that might present themselves.

Michelle: "You're stupid. Are you aware of that?"

You: "Why? I don't think insulting me is helping me solve my problems."

Michelle: "You see? You let it get to your head, you have to think like him. What would you do if you were him?"

You: "I don't know, as far as I know, he thinks I have no weaknesses."

Michelle: "That's it!"

You: "What're you talking about?"

Michelle: "The trial and charges, they weren't meant to do anything to you, he didn't care that he lost. What he really wanted was to see where you were weak."

You: "Well, that failed miserably. If anything, I looked stronger fending off his petty attempt to phase me."

Michelle: "You're right. You did look strong, up until the last moment."

You: "What is that supposed to mean!?"

Michelle: "Isn't it obvious? You showed him your one true weakness! Think about it! What did you do after the trial?"

You: "I think I celebrated by-"

Michelle: "Kissing Jessica."

You: "He wouldn't."

Michelle: "You never know. Whatever he's planning, it probably involves her."

You: "But why would he start a war with me?"

Michelle: "I don't know. There's no valid reason."

You: "Unless..."

How could I forget? He's after me because I was the one chosen by my grandfather to inherit his properties all across Asia. It makes complete sense, he wants all the property and power related to the land, but he knows theres no way I would just hand it over to him. Why would he be fighting for it now? That land is supposed to be turned over to me when I reach the age of 28...

Michelle: "Unless what?"

You: "He wants my inheritance from my grandfather."

Michelle: "Just for that? It better be spectacular for him to try to start an all out war about it."

You: "Spectacular is an understatement. The inheritance involves a lot of land, the majority of which gives someone a lot of power in Asia. In fact, I had forgotten all about it."

Michelle: "All this for land? Hardly seems worth it."

You: "The man who controls that land has a lot of power and influence in each of the countries."

Michelle: "Really? Does anyone else know about this?"

You: "Just my father and I. I guess he figured out somehow."

Michelle: "So this is really a power struggle?"

You: "I'm afraid so. He said he had help too. I wonder what that could mean?"

Michelle: "That's where I think your stupidity came back to bite you."

You: "Why?"

Michelle: "From what I've heard around our childhood friends, a month ago when he was looking for your help, he was actually in trouble in Hong Kong over some debts or something. When you wouldn't help, he turned to his friends in the underground. After escaping that, I guess he found out about your inheritance and he needed help if he had any chance of taking away your inheritance. I can only guess that he's working with the Triads."

You: "Triads? Really? I don't think he has the balls to handle with organized crime."

Michelle: "Says the one with the tattoos and a rather shady past defending certain organizations in Japan while he was trying court cases there."

You: "It was just business."

Michelle: "Sure it was."

1:25 a.m. [Condo, Seoul]

Now I really can't sleep at all, I feel like war is coming and I need to worry about how I'm going to handle everything. Not only do I have to worry about my own wellbeing, but because of my stupidity, Jessica is a target too. I can't let anything happen to her, she's my everything, and I won't let anyone hurt her. That's it, I need to call in a long overdue favor with my "friends" in Japan.

Looking through my bedside drawer, I finally found what I was looking for. My old phone was still in my possession and I quickly looked for a phone number I never thought I'd call for this reason. 

After a few rings, the person on the other line finally answered...

Person: "Hello?"

You: "Your accent is still atrocious."

Person: "Is that any way to start a conversation with an old friend?"

You: "Well, it has definitley been a while Kaito."

Kaito: "Same to you. What makes you call so late?"

You: "Well, I need to take you up on that favor you owe me."

Kaito: "I had a feeling this wasn't just to catch up. What're you doing in Seoul?"

You: "What're you doing tracking me?"

Kaito: "The Yakuza like to keep track of their associates."

You: "As to be expected of the head of the Yakuza."

Kaito: "You may not be a true member, but you know you are highly regarded here."

You: "Thank you, but I really need that favor."

Kaito: "What is it?"

You: "I need you to send units over to South Korea because I have a feeling there's going to be all out war in the underground here."

Kaito: "Between?"

You: "My brother and I."

Kaito: "You want me to mobilize because of your petty brother? I'm sure you're more than capable of defending yourself in a simple fight."

You: "He has help from the Triads."

Kaito: "Oh, that changes everything doesn't it?"

You: "Mmhmm... I need those units to get here as quickly as possible."

Kaito: "Lucky for you we already have a steady base of operations there in Seoul, but I'll still send you some of my best men just in case you need them."

You: "You have a stronghold here? Where?"

Kaito: "JYP Entertainment."

You: "Really now? You should've told me, I would've worked for them."

Kaito: "Then you wouldn't have met your pretty girlfriend."

You: "The fact that you're aware of that scares me."

Kaito: "I have eyes and ears everywhere."

You: "You never cease to amaze me. Thanks old friend."

Kaito: "I should be the one thanking you."

The Next Day [SM Building, Seoul]

I've been working all day but Kaito just texted me that he sent some representatives from the Yakuza cell here in Seoul to talk about what I needed done. Apparently, they're going to send some idols to do the talking since it would be suspicious if any high-ranking workers met up with me. He also told me to brush up on my Korean, I just hope what I've been able to pick up over the past few weeks will help. 

I made my way to a restaurant that Kaito texted me to go to. When I got there, I guess they had rented out the entire restaurant to themselves because no one was around. I had to admit, the view from this restaurant really did the city justice.

As I followed the staff to the table they were taking me to, I noticed that, as Kaito had said, they did send an idol here to talk to me about the proper arrangements. When I arrived at the table, she stood up and introduced herself as Suzy from Miss A. I just hope my Korean can stand it's own. 

Suzy: "Oppa, I heard from Kaito sunbae that you needed the help of Yakuza here in Seoul?"

You: "Yes, I need all possible units at my whim."

Suzy: "May I ask why?"

You: "Trouble with rival organizations."

Suzy: "I see. Well, as a form of respect from JYP sunbae, he is offering everything you need to achieve your goals. Also, Kaito sunbae is also going to be sending some of his best men here to Seoul to help you as well."

You: "Thank you. Please send them my sincerest thanks."

Suzy: "Of course. Also, I will be assigned as your personal assistant during this time."

You: "Okay, that sounds good. Let's eat, shall we?"

Suzy: "I thought you'd never ask."

For the next hour or so, we ate and chatted about little things and I felt like we built a reliable relationship in terms of work. Although, I kept wondering about something and I guess Suzy could read it all over my face.

Suzy: "Need something oppa?"

You: "May I ask you a question?"

Suzy: "Sure."

You: "Are all of JYP's idols aware of their Yakuza ties?"

Suzy: "Actually, up until today, I had no idea."

You: "Oh. I see."

Suzy: "Now, may I ask you one?"

You: "Go ahead."

Suzy: "Why is it that you don't live up to your reputation?"

You: "Hmm?"

Suzy: "Well, Kaito sunbae warned me that you might be unresponsive and cold, but you seem like the opposite. You seem very warm and open to people, I had expected to meet someone who seemed to hate me, but instead I met someone who genuinely cares."

You: "I've been told to be more of a people person..."

Suzy: "Oh. You're doing a great job at it."

After that exchange, I took Suzy out shopping in return for all her help and I wound up buying her 3 new bags, a new watch, and a trench coat. At the end of the day, my wallet was hurting and my feet did too, but I decided I should head over to the SNSD dorm to check on Jessica since we had only been able to communicate through text all day. 

As I arrived at the dorm, I rang the doorbell to see Taeyeon greeting me and taking me into Jessica's room. Walking in, I could sense there was something wrong, so I decided to go next to her in bed and hug her. When I hugged her, she suddenly pushed away from me to show she was actually crying. 

You: "What's wrong?"

Jessica: "Why don't you tell me?"

You: "What're you talking about?"

Jessica: "Why don't you ask Suzy then? Maybe she'll know what's wrong."

You: "Now I really don't get what you're talking about."

Jessica: "THIS!"

Just then, she showed me her phone and the article that was on it. Apparently, someone had taken pictures of Suzy and I walking around shopping with my arm around her shoulder. I guess there were rumors that I was dating her since I couldn't actually read the headlines, since they were in Korean. 

You: "Babe, I can explain..."

Jessica: "Don't 'babe' me!"

You: "No, really. Just calm down and listen."

Jessica: "Calm down? You're asking me to calm down when you just blatantly cheated on me!? How dare you!"

You: "I didn't cheat on you, it's all a misunderstanding."

Next thing I know, she slapped me across the face and I didn't feel the pain at all because I was still dazed that she had actually hit me. Before I knew it, she stormed out of the room grabbing her car keys and leaving the dorm. Still shocked, I walked out to seven glaring at me. Further shocked, I couldn't help but stutter as I tried to explain what had just happened to them. 

You: "Girls, it's not what you think. It's just a misunderstanding. What I did with Suzy today, it was just business, nothing more."

Tiffany: "Sure it was. I knew you couldn't be trusted."

Sensing that I was no longer welcome, I made my way for the door, but was stopped by the one person who wasn't glaring at me. 

You: "Taeyeon, what are you doing?"

Taeyeon: "Oppa, I don't think you did anything wrong or try to hurt anybody. So, I just want you to know that I'll help you clear things out with Sica and the rest of my members, okay?"

You: "Thank you so much Taeyeon. Call me when she gets back home please?"

Taeyeon: "The very moment."

With that, I made my way home with a tired mind and a very heavy heart.

2:30 a.m. [Condo, Seoul]

Now, I'm standing looking over my balcony once again, but without a drink this time. I haven't rested since I got back from SNSD's dorm and I don't think I can rest until I get a call from Taeyeon. I wonder where Jessica went? She isn't the type to just disappear like that, even when she's angry. Worried, I decided to call Taeyeon in the hopes that she just forgot to call me since Jessica probably got home late.

After a few failed attempts, there was finally an answer on the other side. 

You: "Hello?"

Taeyeon: "Yes oppa?"

You: "Did Jessica make it back yet?"

Taeyeon: "No, she hasn't come back yet, I thought that maybe she went to your place."

You: "She's not here..."

Taeyeon: "That's bad. What should we do?"

You: "Just go back to sleep. I'll handle it."

I quickly ended the call with Taeyeon and proceeded to make preparations to assemble the Yakuza, but I suddenly recieved a call from an unknown number.

You: "Hello?"

Person: "Why hello there."

You: "It's you."

Person: "Is that anyway to greet your younger brother?"

You: "You're not my brother. Now, what do you want?"

Brother: "Actually, the real question is what do you want?"

You: "What're you talking about!?"

All of a sudden I heard a voice on the other line that tore my heart out and ripped it to shreds.

Jessica: "OPPA HELP ME!"

Brother: "Know what you want yet?"

You: "You touch her, I will break you."

Brother: "Oh, don't worry. I won't touch her for now. However, you'd better hurry."

You: "You really want to die, don't you?"

Brother: "Not really, all I want is something you're going to have."

You: "You already know you're not getting that."

Brother: "So be it. Put her back in the room, she'll be locked in there for now."

You: "You'd better watch yourself, I won't hesitate to kill you myself if I find so much as a hair misplaced on her head."

Brother: "There's the brother I know."

You: "Stop playing games."

Brother: "Why? The games have just begun."

You: "I'll kill you myself."

Brother: "Good luck."