Preparations and Regrets

As The World Turns

Three Hours Later [Courtroom, Seoul]

I've just concluded a hearing with the judge about when exactly I would be tried for the charges of colluding with the Yakuza. My trial will be in just one week, so I must prepare a valid case and argument that will turn the jury over to my side, or at least make them sympathize with me. I was offered an attorney, but I'm more than capable of defending myself against criminal charges, even if it's not my expertise. Now, I'm waiting for Jessica to pick me up from the police station and I can't help but feel sorry for her poor heart, she must've worried so much about me. Good thing I had authorized her on all of my bank accounts last week, otherwise nobody would've been able to pay the $250,000 in bail that was needed to secure my freedom until the outcome of the trial. 

30 Minutes Later [Car, Seoul]

When she picked me up from the courtroom, she looked exhausted. Feeling pity on her, I offered to drive us both back to my place and we could just spend the night there. I could see that her make-up from earlier was still smeared all over her face, she hasn't stopped crying has she?

You: "Are you okay?"

Jessica: "I... don't... know..."

You: "What's wrong? I'm here aren't I?"

Jessica: "I was so scared... I'm... still... scared..."

You: "Why?"

Jessica: "I'm afraid to lose you. Just like when you had your car accident, I'm so afraid."

You: "Don't worry about it."

Jessica: "HOW CAN I NOT WORRY ABOUT IT!? YOU'RE GUILTY OF EVERYTHING THEY SAID YOU DID!"

You: "I'll find a way."

Jessica: "If I hadn't overreacted that night, if I hadn't run off, if you didn't have to kill all those people... We'd be able to just enjoy our lives. It's all my fault."

You: "Stop it. Don't blame yourself for anything I've done. I did those things because I wanted to, not because I had to. Anyways, all I need to do is convince the jury that I'm an innocent man. That isn't too hard, I mean, I have many people who would say I'm a good guy."

Jessica: "And even more that hate your guts..."

You: "Like I said, don't worry..."

The rest of the drive back to my condo was deafening in how quiet it was. We didn't say anything, but we both felt it. The reality of the situation. I put up a facade that I was going to be alright, but she knew me better than that. Just like before, she saw right through it. She knew I was scared of what might happen. For the first time as my career as a lawyer, I honestly didn't know what I would do. 

The Next Morning [Condo, Seoul]

I woke up and Jessica wasn't beside me, so I got worried. I quickly put on some clothes because I sleep in only a t-shirt and boxers and made my way over to the living room. Looking around, I was surprised to see all of SNSD, Keito, and Suzy all sitting on my couch sharing some of my prized scotch. Annoyed at first because I loved that scotch, I turned to Jessica with a half questioning and half annoyed look.

You: "Is that the scotch that was tucked away from the other drinks!?"

Jessica: "Yes, it is... I thought since it was seperate, it must've been one you didn't like as much..."

You: "On the contrary--"

Keito: "This is a scotch that he's been saving since he was last in Japan. How much did you pay for this again?"

You: "$90,000..."

Keito: "Well, it's the best scotch I've ever had. If it's any consolation..."

You: "You knew I was saving that and you still let them raid it. Thanks..."

Jessica gave me a apologetic look and I just brushed it off to tell her it was okay. However, I was curious as to why all these people had randomly arrived in my home. I mean, there wasn't a special occasion or anything, right?

You: "So, why is everyone here?"

Jessica: "They're here to help."

You: "With what?"

Keito: "What do you think?"

Taeyeon: "We don't know exactly what we can do, but we're all willing to do anything neccesary for you to go away with your freedom, oppa."

Suzy: "She's right. Whatever you need, we'll help you."

Jessica: "So, oppa, what's it gonna be?"

The rest of the day we spent raiding my liquor supply and talking about how we could make me seem innocent. Keito was open to having a plea bargain to have some Yakuza men arrested in order to have me stay free, but I wouldn't do that. Even if I valued my freedom above most things, I wouldn't drag someone into something that was of my own doing. We went through numerous ideas that, at first, seemed ingenious but turned out to be more troublesome and logical. At first, the idea of fleeing the country was an option, but the fact that Jessica refused to stay in Korea eventually threw that idea out of the window. After hours of debating, we decided to try our luck with testimonies from some of the girls that would make me seem like an angel. We ran a huge risk if the girls were found to be lying, but I doubt anyone will find out.

Three Days Later [SM Building, Seoul]

For the past three days, after everyone has finished their schedules for the day, Suzy and SNSD would come visit Keito and I in my office and would practice their testimonies. Over the course of the practices, we decided to use Yoona, Sooyoung, and Suzy as our primary witnesses. With this, there should be no hitch, as long as the jury proved to be sympathetic. After the practices, I had Sung take Suzy home and SNSD's manager came by to bring the girls to their dorm. It was now 1:00 a.m., Keito and I were both looking onto the busy streets of Seoul. 

Keito: "Are you sure you can win?"

You: "No, not one bit. In fact, I'm almost certain I might lose."

Keito: "That's a first. You're usually too arrogant to admit when you've been shoved into a corner."

You: "Unfortunately, I'm also a realist. There's very little hope if the opposition has adequite evidence against me."

Keito: "What happens if you're found innocent?"

You: "Then we move on, but I'm afraid."

Keito: "Of what?"

You: "Jessica. As long as I'm around, she'll be a target for all the enemies I've made because they know she's all that matters to me."

Keito: "So what? You'll just protect her."

You: "That's the thing. I think the best way to protect her is to stay as far away from her."

Keito: "Don't you love her?"

You: "Yes."

Keito: "Then you have to do what's best for her."

You: "Do you mean I should leave her?"

Keito: "When the time comes, you'll know what you have to do."

You: "And what if I'm found guilty?"

Keito: "I've already arranged everything, just in case."

You: "What're you talking about?"

Keito: "I've had everything set up. The moment you get sent to prison, we'll send a task force to bail you out and have you pronounced dead in the eyes of the prison system."

You: "What happens after that?"

Keito: "We clear your record of anything you've been charged with and I guess you'll have to flee to Japan for quite some time so that no one remembers you."

You: "What of Jessica?"

Keito: "That's up to you."

You: "So, what do we do now?"

Keito: "Wait and hope."

Three Days Later [Condo, Seoul]

Yoona, Sooyoung, and Suzy have been working really hard on their testimonies all week and we have just one day until the trial. Tomorrow, my fate will be decided by a panel of jurers that we need to convince that I'm an innocent man, or at least a man who would not be associated with the Yakuza. In reality, I'm almost resigned to the fact that I'm going to wind up convicted, but I need to remain strong in front of the girls. Most of all, I need to be strong for Jessica. Even if she shows a confident and hopeful side to the others, I can hear her mumbles in her sleep. She's afraid, and she doesn't know that I'm even more afraid than she is. 

To help everyone to calm down before the trial, I've decided to have a little party amongst all of us so that everyone can be relaxed and forget about all the worries that will come tomorrow. Normally, I don't let myself get wasted because I have a very high tolerance for alchohol. but I had Sung pick up a bottle of Everclear 190 proof so that I can really let myself go. I might as well enjoy myself if I'm going to be a convicted criminal tomorrow, right?

It's about 9 p.m. now and everyone is already here. Wanting to get everything underway, I brought out the multitude of drinks I had bought over the past few days for everyone to enjoy. Usually, SNSD is very controlled and drinks just wine, but I guess they do have a more fun side to them. After some convincing, I got all of them to try some of my harder liqours. On the other hand, Keito and Suzy were more than excited to get a whif of my supply. With everyone getting a good amount of drinks to begin with, I went over by Jessica on the couch.

You: "Hey there."

Jessica: "Hey *hiccup* cutie."

Ugh... This girl, she's barely had two glasses and she's already tipsy? Now I see why she doesn't like drinking, she has no alcohol tolerance at all. 

You: "Jess, are you buzzed?"

Jessica: "What're you talking *hiccup* about?"

Her face was flushed red. Scratch that, she wasn't buzzed. She was drunk as can be! I can't believe that after such little alcohol she's already drunk. I just hope she doesn't get really wasted, then I won't be able to enjoy the party because I'll be worried about her. Then, she started giggling out of nowhere and I left her to continue her own little drunk thing. Seeing as everyone was already drinking, I decided to pull out the Everclear that I had Sung buy earlier. 

You: "Hey guys! I have Everclear 190! Who wants some?"

Keito: "You really want to get wasted, huh?"

You: "You know it. "

Keito: "I'd like to see you wasted. I don't want any Everclear though, that stuff is too strong, even for me."

You: "Suit yourself. Girls! Any of you want Everclear?"

Taeyeon: "Hahahahahahaah oppa your voice is funny."

Tiffany: "Yeah! Hey look I'm oppa with my deep voice!"

All of the girls burst out laughing at Tiffany's joke. Mildly annoyed at their impression of me, I realized that they were all too wasted to realize what I had just asked them. Concluding that giving them such a strong alcohol might only make things worse, I decided I'd just have to share this bottle with me, myself, and I. Suddenly, someone tapped my shoulder and I turned around to see who it was. 

Suzy: "Hey oppa. Can I have some?"

You: "Um... Sure. Are you sure you want to? This is pretty strong stuff."

Suzy: "Come on. I'm not like the other girls, I can handle my share of alcohol."

You: "Okay, well, here goes. To a night full of fun and no regrets."

With that, Suzy and I took shots of the Everclear. We proceeded to finish the bottle over the course of the night. I could hardly understand what exactly was happening around me after I had passed my limit. Everything just went blury and I was just lost in the moment. I was actually really, really, really drunk. 

The last thing I remember from that night was someone pulling me towards my bedroom and kissing me all the way there. Must be Jessica, but I can't tell because my vision is blurry and all my senses are very unreliable at this point. All I can tell was that everything escalated between the two of us very quickly.

But it was different.

The excitement was there.

But it wasn't the same.

There was passion.

But there was no love.

It wasn't making love like we normally did.

It was just .

Her hair, her body, the way she moaned.

"Give it to me..."

It was different.

Kiss.

Kiss.

Kiss.

I didn't feel the feeling I had felt those times in Bali. 

I felt a difference.

It was too different.

In the end, I couldn't sleep well without figuring out what was wrong this time around. Curiousity got the best of me and I just had to ask her as we lay on the bed after our "session".

You: "Babe?"

Just then, I felt a finger run over my mouth.

"Hush, hush, hush, baby."

No f**king way.