Happily Ever After?

As The World Turns

10:00 a.m. (3rd Person POV) [Hong Kong, China]

You: "WHAT THE HELL!? HOW COULD YOU DO THAT TO ME!?"

Father: "Son, I didn't. It was all planned by your grandfather. Don't shoot the messenger."

You: "WHY SHOULDN'T I!? YOU HAVEN'T DONE ANYTHING TO HELP JESSICA AND I ANYWAYS! HOW AM I TO BE SURE THAT YOU'RE NOT THE ONE WHO REALLY PUT THIS TOGETHER TO SPITE ME FOR KILLING YOUR BELOVED SON!"

At that moment, your father slapped you across the face and stared you straight in your face. You were about to swing back and punch him, but you felt Jessica hold onto your arm. Still preoccupied with the fact you were just slapped, you didn't care about Jessica stopping you from hitting your father. All of a sudden, your father's somber tone became much more enforcing and angry as he voiced his opinion.

Father: "DON'T YOU BLAME YOURSELF FOR YOUR BROTHER'S DEATH! BOTH OF YOU CHOSE TO BE SOLDIERS AND FIGHTERS! AND THAT'S WHAT THEY DO! SOLDIER'S DIE! SENT TO THE SLAUGHTER BY GREEDY MEN IN POWER LIKE ME!"

Then it hit you, how true your father was in this moment. He hadn't blamed you for killing your brother, he actually blamed himself for what had transpired between his two sons. Maybe he was telling the truth, maybe he really did see you as all he had left and he really did want to help you. As if really acting as your better half, Jessica began talking. 

Jessica: "How can we know that you really want to help us? You said oppa has to marry my sister. So, obviously, you've worked with my parents before and this was an agreement between yours and my family."

Father: "I promise you that my relationship with your parents only goes as far as business. While I do agree with the intended meaning of the arranged marriage, I do want my son to be happy. If that means cheating the system, then by all means, I will do everything in my power to help the both of you."

Jessica: "But why?"

Father: "Because he's all I have left. If his family is with you and the baby, then you three are all I have left. Like it or not, we're family and ,even if my past actions haven't proved it, I look out for my family. Now, we have to get moving, I have a plane that'll take us away from Asia as we try to lay low."

Jessica: "Lay low? Where?"

Father: "I have a few homes in more remote countries that you two can have asylum in. You know as well as I do that your parents are all about following through with agreements. I'd bring us to talk to them, but they wouldn't take it very well."

Jessica: "You're right... Alright, we'll go..."

Then, your father turned to you and looked into your eyes. You had been silent the entire time and he was wondering if you would go with Jessica's decision. 

Father: "Son?"

You: "Jessica speaks for the both of us. If she trusts you, then I guess... I'll trust you... For now..."

With that, the three of you walked out of the cemetery to your father's car waiting outside the gates. As you walked, Jessica held onto your arm and you two walked hesitantly into the vast unknown. Feeling her uneasiness, you decided to reassure her that you were dedicated to protecting her. 

You: "No matter what happens, I'll protect you and the baby."

Jessica: "I know."

You: "I love you."

Jessica: "I love you too."

30 Minutes Later (Your POV) [Airplane, Unknown, Unknown}

We got on the plane after being driven by my father's personal driver and we were headed somewhere. I don't know where, but my father said to trust him. As much as I'd hate to trust him, I don't quite think I have a choice. Jessica's fallen asleep and I think it would be best for her and the baby if she has as little stress as possible. Not being able to think of anything to occupy my mind, and not wanting to sleep while Jessica was asleep, I decided I might as well use my God-given talents for the benefit of my family.

You: "Do you have a copy of the contract?"

Father: "I think I do, it might be here on my laptop. Go ahead and take a look, I'm sure you might be able to find something we can use to nullify the terms."

Handing me his laptop, I saw that my grandfather had drawn up a very lucrative contract that was better than most of the contracts I had encountered throughout my career. Then again, I'm not the best lawyer in San Francisco for no reason. If there's anybody who could find a loophole in this contract, it would be me. With that, I went all across the internet trying to see which resources and laws I could use to nullify the terms of the contract. 

3 Hours Later (3rd Person POV) [Airplane, Unknown, Unknown]

As you sat there searching and trying to find any hope in breaching the contract, your father had fallen asleep. After a while, he had woken up and saw you still working as feverishly as he had left you. Getting up to check on your progress, he looked at what you had written down. 

Father: "Find anything that will stick?"

You: "..."

Looking deeper at your notes, he saw that everything you had written down was crossed out. Tapping your shoulder as if to console you, he went to the seat across from yours and pulled out another laptop. Noticing this, you couldn't help but wonder what his intentions were. 

You: "What are you doing?"

Father: "You obviously haven't found anything that will help. So, I'm going to help you."

You: "Really now? You're going to help me go through legal documents?"

Father: "Might I remind you that my Wharton business degree is just as powerful as your Harvard law degree?"

You: "You've been in the minor leagues your entire life, now it's time for you to play my game, it's the majors, and you're not in a very good position."

Father: "Well, let's see who bats better?"

Chuckling, both of you got to work looking for possible loopholes once again. Unbeknownst to both of you, Jessica had heard the exchange the entire time. She was happy that, for once, she saw the father and grandfather of her child sharing a moment of bonding and familial love. Even if the world seemed to be falling around them...

You and your father worked feverishly for another hour and both of you expressed severe agitation at the lack of power you had over the situation. Looking at each other's work, you both disproved any possible leads and resigned to the fact that there was no way out of the contract legally.

Father: "He really was something..."

You: "Who?"

Father: "Your grandfather... To think... He wrote up a contract as concrete as that... There's no way for us to even bend it so that Jessica can take her sisters' place..."

You: "Even I couldn't do it... I've actually lost..."

Father: "That's what happens son. Sometimes, you get pushed up against the wall and there's nothing left to do."

You: "Yes there is. You break the damn thing down."

Father: "And that's what we're going to do."

He then averted his gaze to Jessica sleeping once again. Turning back to you with soft eyes that reminded you of your childhood, he pointed his lips in her direction.

Father: "Go sleep next to her, son. She needs you now. I'll keep looking, but you should get some rest."

Conceding to your father's suggestion, you went over to Jessica's side and quickly fell asleep from the exhaustion of working. As you slept, Jessica got up and actually went over to your father. Shocked by her sudden appearance, he gave her a inquisitive look as she sat across from him. 

Jessica: "How come my parents chose my sister and not me?"

Father: "From what I heard, it was because you were already established as an artist and they didn't want to interrupt your career. So, they chose your sister instead."

Jessica: "I see..."

Father: "Jessica, thank you. I know it must have been hard for you to accept my help after all I put you through, and I can only hope that i make it up to you. I'm glad that my son found you..."

Jessica: "That's the thing... You shouldn't be thanking me... You should be thanking oppa... He might not show it, but it's taking a huge toll on him... everything that's happening..."

Father: "You really know him, don't you?"

Jessica: "I really do..."

Father: "Well, he's lucky to have you. That boy, he really is something else."

Jessica: "Arrogant, self-absorbed, blowhard, conceited, cocky, thinks he's the smartest one in the room... Oh, and arrogant again..."

Both of them laughed at her comment. They both knew you well and they both understood that while you were self-centered, you loved with a love that's greater than anyone else's. As the plane ride went on, the three of you bonded and it would serve as the foundation for a new life. 



Three Months Later (Your POV) [Barcelona, Spain]

I can't believe it's been three months since we left Asia, maybe it's better that we did it, we're happy now and I'm sure our lives have never been happier. Thanks to my father, we were able to flee here to Barcelona and live in my family's property here. With my finances beyond excellent, there's been no need for us to lower our standard of living and we've been taken care of very well here. 

Jessica's pregnancy has been progressing well and we expect to have the baby any time soon. My father has taken every precaution to make sure that the best doctors in Spain are here to help with Jessica's pregnancy. As much as I've grown to trust my father once again, I also wanted people that I would entrust my life to handling Jessica's pregnancy. With that, I had both Nick and Michelle fly here to Spain as extra consulting for her pregnancy. 

Right now, we're at a clinic and both Nick and Michelle are checking on Jessica to make sure she's ready for what her body is going to endure during the pregnancy. I'm out here in the hall waiting for them to finish because I'm not a big fan of being in a hospital room. Suddenly, they walk out of the room with Jessica leading the way. Nick and Michelle motion for me to talk to them. 

You: "Jess, go to the car. Tell the driver to wait for me. I'm just going to talk to Nick and Michelle for a bit."

Jessica: "Okay. Don't take too long, its almost lunch time."

You: "Of course."

I gave Jessica a kiss and watched her walk out to the car. Turning to Nick and Michelle, I saw a sad look on both of their faces and I was worried about what they had to say. 

You: "What is it?"

Michelle: "I don't know how to say this..."

You: "Just say it. We've been friends since we were kids, I can take anything you tell me."

Michelle: "..."

Nick: "Jessica... She needs a cesarean..."

You: "Is that what you didn't want to tell me? That's normal nowadays, isn't it? Why would you be sad about that? I'm sure Jessica can handle it."

Nick: "The C section isn't the problem. It's her genetics."

You: "What do you mean?"

Michelle: "We tested her blood and it showed that she has high blood pressure and is prone to excessive bleeding..."

You: "What does that have to do with her giving birth?"

Nick: "That makes her more susceptible to complications during the process. In fact, there's an increased risk of death..."

You: "Give me a number."

Nick: "..."

Michelle: "..."

You: "Well?"

Nick: "50%"

You: "So, you're telling me that my fiance has a 50% chance of dying? Can't you two do anything to reduce the risks? I'm sure there must be something we can do."

Nick: "You're like a brother to me. You know if there's something I could do to help, I wouldn't hesitate, but there really is nothing we can do. She's in God's hands now."

You: "..."

Michelle: "We're sorry..."

You: "Don't be. You two have been great friends. Thanks for telling me."

With that, I left the two of them and went to the car with Jessica. I didn't let her see how much the past revelation bothered me and I decided that it was better that she never find out. We went home and had lunch for about an hour. Afterwards, Jessica decided to have a siesta, as is the custom here in Spain. While she did that, I went to the local bar and decided to have a few drinks. There, I saw my father also having a few drinks.

Father: "What's bothering you?"

You: "Nothing."

Father: "Son, I may be the kind of person to drink for fun, but you aren't. I know you only drink when something's on your mind. So, tell me what's wrong."

You: "Jessica..."

Father: "What about her?"

You: "She has a 50% chance of dying while giving birth..."

Father: "I'm sorry to hear that... Don't worry son, she has some of the best doctors in the world taking care of her, she'll be just fine..."

You: "You know, when mom died, I cursed God. Did I damn everyone around me as well as myself?"

Father: "You're not damned son, I won't let that happen."

You: "I wish I could believe you, but life hasn't been very blessed lately."

Father: "That's the problem with you, son, you're always looking to be better. Better in your career, better off in life, better than everyone around you. Sure, it's given you so much, but at the same time you're blinded by it. Don't you see that you have been blessed all this time? You have a woman who loves you and you're about to be a father. If that doesn't make you happy, I don't know what will."

You: "I guess you're right..."

Father: "I know I'm right."

You: "Arrogant much?"

Father: "Look who's talking."

Both of us laughed at his joke and continued drinking. We shared a few stories and I was glad that my father and I were able to bond right before the baby is born. It offered me some sort of closure, at least for the once torn relationship I had with my father. 



Three Days Later (3rd Person POV) [Barcelona, Spain]

You had gone to the market to buy supplies for dinner and left Jessica at the house. Not worrying about anything, you made your way through the market at your own pace. Slowly but surely, you made it back home and noticed that no one was there. Wondering where the maids had gone, you went up to the master's bedroom and no one was there as well. Getting worried, you went to the main garden and found one of the maids. 

You: "Where's Jessica?"

Maid: "Señor, they took her to the hospital. She's going to give birth."

Taking the word of the maid, you took your car to the hospital and went to the room you had already reserved for her. Walking in, you saw Jessica on a hospital bed being surrounded by your father, Nick, and Michelle. They all stared at you as you entered panting because you had run to the room. 

Michelle: "Have a fun work out?"

You: "Not funny. I thought I was going to miss out on my own child's birth..."

Nick: "Well, you're in luck, she's going to go through labor any time now."

You: "Jess, are you ready?"

Jessica: "Of course oppa."

Smiling, you went to her side and gave her a reassuring kiss on the lips. Holding her hand, she looked into your eyes with the eyes you fell in love with. You love her, and you'll love your baby. Your father was right, you had everything you ever needed in front of you right now. You could live without the money, you could live through all the pain, as long as you had them. Without them, life wouldn't be worth it. 



Two Hours Later (Your POV) [Hospital, Barcelona, Spain]

Michelle: "You're a real wuss. You know that?"

You: "Shut up."

Michelle: "What kind of father isn't there for his child's birth because he's uncomfortable with being in a hospital room?"

You: "One that's stared death in the eyes."

Michelle: "Stared death in the face? Are you talking about you? Or her?"

You; "Both..."

Michelle: "Don't worry, Nick is experienced, he'll make sure Jessica makes it through the entire ordeal as safely as possible. She's in good hands, don't worry about that."

You: "How do you know?"

Michelle: "Because I trust him. You should learn to trust people, it really helps give piece of mind."

You: "Does it now? Well, I'll have piece of mind when I have my child and my fiance in my arms."

Michelle: "Like I said, don't worry. They're in good hands."

Almost immediately after she said that, the door of the operating room opened. Looking intently, I saw that it was Nick with sweat dripping down his face. His face had a look that was terrifying to see because it wasn't a face of happiness, but it was a face of pity. All of a sudden, he walked up to me and his voiced cracked as he whispered.

Nick: "I'm sorry..."