Love

As The World Turns

Later That Night (Your POV) [Condo, Seoul]

The trial went on for about 3 hours after I was put on the stand and it was perhaps the most stressful trial I have ever gone through. If anything, it was the only trial where my emotions could have actually really dealt some damage to my chances of winning. Fortunately, I think I'll be cleared of all charges because I managed to refute most of the claims brought against me. After the trial, Keito and I decided to go back to my place to talk about some business. Now, we're at my dining table talking over some drinks. 

Keito: "I don't understand you anymore, not one bit."

You: "What are you talking about?"

Keito: "You always seem like you're chasing comfort and hapiness, but you keep doing all the wrong things. The way you handle your emotions and your heart, it can only end with you suffering."

You: "How?"

Keito: "You can't find intimacy-- you can't find home-- when you're always hiding behind a mask. To have love requires a certain level of vulnurability. It requires a certain level of you exposing your fragmented, contradictory self to someone else. It demands that you run the risk of having your true self rejected, hurt, and misunderstood. In all actuallity, that lawyer from earlier was entirely right about you..."

You: "Why tell me this now?"

Keito: "Because you seem to show no remorse."

You: "For?"

Keito: "Your answer to the most important question you have ever been asked."

Flashback: 2:00 p.m. [Courtroom, Seoul]

Attorney: "Do you love Jessica Jung?"

You: "..."

Judge: "Sir, you must answer the question."

You: "No..."

In that moment, I stared straight into Jessica's eyes and I saw something die. My heart tore into a thousand tiny pieces, but this was for the best. If I had answered any other way, it might have gone wrong. If only to win the trial, I had to make sacrifices. But her look, that look that destroyed me. Something had died that moment, and I couldn't help but feel guilty.

Back To Present Time [Condo, Seoul]

You: "I don't know..."

Keito: "Your lack of emotional empathy scares me."

You: "What do you mean by that?"

Keito: "You saw it in her eyes when you said that. You know what it did to her. Now, she's broken, all because of your stubborn need to keep yourself from being vulnurable. Are you that blind? Are you that callous?"

You: "I didn't mean it... and you know that..."

Keito: "Do I? Then why didn't you just say it in front of everybody? Why don't you just tell her how you really feel?"

You: "I can't do that."

Keito: "See what I mean? You're afraid of being exposed once again! Now, you're giving someone who keeps finding a reason to leave you another one! It's not the first time, it's not the fifth time, and it's not the last time! Look at you, because of this attitude of yours, you might actually lose her!"

You: "I want to tell her..."

Keito: "Then do it!"

You: "I can't! And it's driving me crazy!"

Keito: "Maybe you really need something to push you to make your realize the fault in your ways. Perhaps, you'd like to know that she's retiring from the music industry tomorrow? Or that she's leaving Seoul tonight?"

You: "What!?"

Keito: "And would you like to know why? Well, I'll just get to it and tell you already! She's retiring because her parents have arranged a marriage in order for their family to save face when the baby is born! She's to be married to a man she doesn't love because the man she does love keeps on denying her and her child's existence!"

You: "I never did that!"

Keito: "Well, you sure as hell didn't make it seem like you wanted them around!"

You: "I still never said I didn't want them!"

Keito: "What the hell kind of damage was done to you? Caring only makes you--"

You: "--weak!"

Keito: "See? There it is again!"

You: "Get out of my house."

Keito: "What!? Now you're getting angry? Is that the only emotion that you can show to others!? Fine! I'll leave! You can be here by yourself and realize that you're only letting her go! Maybe then you'll finally realize how messed up your life actually is! Maybe you'll only know you love her when you let her go!"

He walked out in a rage and slammed the door as he passed by it. In truth, he was completely right. I was left here to my own devices to really contemplate what he had been telling me. More over, I was left to analyze my feelings and how I truly wanted things to go. Perhaps, all the things I had been chasing all my life were actually in front of me and I was just too blind to grab hold of them. 

I need a drink. 

No, that's not what I need. That won't help.

I need a walk.

Maybe that can ease my troubled mind.

10 Minutes Later (Your POV) [Seoul, South Korea]

I walked out of my condo with nothing but my trenchcoat on and made my way to the streets. As I made my way down the elevator, I checked my cell phone for any calls. Looking, I saw a message from my grandmother. 

From: Grandmother

One day, whether you are 14, 28, or 65...

You will stumble upon someone who will start a fire in you that cannot die.

However, the saddest, most awful truth you will come to find--

is they are not always with whom we spend our lives

Once again, my grandmother seems to feel how I feel. Even if she doesn't know, I felt an unnatural heaviness in my chest as I walked and walked to no end. 

30 Minutes Later (Your POV) [Seoul, South Korea]

I've been walking aimlessly just trying to get everything through my mind. No destination, just me in a trenchcoat walking the bussling streets of Seoul, looking for something to calm my restless soul. As I kept walking, the neighborhood I was at looked very familiar, but I just couldn't pin point exactly where I was. Just ahead of me, I saw a car pull up to the side of the road and I saw a figure carrying two bags walking towards the car. It took me a second, but I quickly realized who it was. Calling out to them, they turned to look me walking on the road. 

You: "Jessica!"

Jessica: "Oppa..."

You: "What are you doing out at this time? Who's car is this?"

Jessica: "Oppa... go home..."

You: "What are you talking about? You haven't even answered my question."

Jessica: "Damn it oppa! GO HOME! WHY ARE YOU HERE ANYWAYS? IT'S NOT LIKE YOU CARE ABOUT ME AND THE BABY ANYWAYS! YOU SAID IT IN COURT, DIDN'T YOU!? YOU DON'T LOVE US? THEN FINE! WE'RE GOING TO GO FIND SOMEONE WHO DOES LOVE US!"

After that outburst, she made a dash for the door of the car. Once again, I was put in a situation where I could either chase after her or let her go. This time, I knew what I had to do. This time, I wouldn't let her go, no matter what. Grabbing onto her arm, I turned her towards me and saw tears running down her face. Trying to calm her crying, I held onto her hand with one hand and carressed her face with the other. 

You: "Jessica... Don't do this..."

Jessica: "Oppa... No, I need to... for my parents... for my sanity.... for the baby...."

You: "No, you don't need to..."

Jessica: "There's no other way..."

You: "You weren't even going to say goodbye?"

Jessica: "Why should I?"

You: "Because I care about you."

Jessica: "I know that oppa, you've made that very clear. But that's not what I need, what we need. In that trial, you made it very clear that you had no intention of giving me and the baby what we need."

You: "That's not true..."

Jessica: "All the love in the world couldn't change you, there's just something around that frozen heart of yours that won't ever break. I tried so hard to make you change your mind, and your heart, but it just didn't work. It hurts to much to see how you left yourself and both me and the baby behind. Oppa, I wouldn't want to be you. That's a hell I can't describe."

You: "I don't know what to do."

Jessica: "Let it go oppa, let us go. You've made the line very clear. I had saved so much love for you and no one else, but it's clear now that what we were and what we almost were is just a facet of your past."

You: "Jessica..."

Jessica: "Goodbye, oppa..."

Once again, she made her way towards the car. Again, I grabbed onto her.

Jessica: "Oppa..."

You: "Jessica... don't leave me..."

Jessica: "Oppa, we have to move on..."

You: "I don't want to... Everywhere I go I see you... If you're not here with me... I'll just wander through the rest of my life with no point and no direction..."

Jessica: "What we had was beautiful oppa... the fruits of our relationship will surely be the same... but that love doesn't live inside of you anymore..."

You: "That's not true..."

Jessica: "Then, what is it?"

You: "What we have, it means so much more to me than you think..."

Jessica: "No, stop lying to yourself oppa..."

You: "I'm not..."

Jessica: "Then, tell me something oppa..."

You: "What?"

Jessica: "I don't know... just... something..."

You: "Will you stay if I say the right thing?"

Jessica: "Maybe... But there's no guarantee..."

You: "Then, I'll tell you about the first time I met you."

Jessica: "A contract negotiation. You were even more of a pretentious prick at that time."

You: "No. The first time I saw you was when I was given a report on each and every one of the members in SNSD. Of all the girls, one of them caught my eye and I couldn't get her out of my head. She was beautiful, and I was enamored with every ounce of her beauty."

Jessica: "So, you only loved me for my looks..."

You: "You didn't let me finish... The next time I met you was that contract negotiation. Then, I learned something extremely valuable. There, I learned that your beauty was only your second greatest asset."

Jessica: "Thanks for the compliment..."

You: "Stop interrupting me. That night, I took you home on a whim and you instantly fell asleep on my bed. Normally, any man in a situation like that with a woman of your beauty would have taken advantage of you. However, there was something about you that clung to me. I didn't want to ravage you, no. I wanted to care for you and I wanted to love you even if it cost me the world."

Jessica: "Why tell me this now?"

You: "Because, just like then, I am inexplicably and undeniably in love with you Jessica Jung. I am in love with everything about you and even more in love with the fact that you are the mother of my child."

Jessica: "Oppa..."

You: "Jessica, you are my everything. You are my devil, you're my angel. You're my heaven, you're my hell. You're my lies, you're my truth. You're my freedom, you're my jail. You're my war, you're my truce. You're my now, and I can only hope that you'll be my forever."

Jessica: "Oppa... Do you really mean that?"

You: "Jessica, I was a fool. Now I realize that the only things I truly love in this world are you and the baby, nothing else matters to me."

Jessica: "Oppa..."

You: "Will you stay?"

Jessica; "Yes."

You: "This is the last time I'll ever ask you this... Will you marry me?"

Jessica: "And I can only hope this is the last time I have to say this... of course... I'd be more than happy to marry you..."

I pulled her in for a kiss and I felt the warmness I once felt around her once again. Grabbing onto her bags, I held them in one arm and wrapped the other around her shoulders. I moved us away from the parked car, not caring for the person waiting inside and began walking down the street with Jessica. 

Jessica: "Oppa, where are you taking me?"

You: "Home."

Jessica: "I love you."

You: "I love you too."