Through the Facade

As The World Turns

12:25 [In the car, Seoul]

We've been on the road for at least ten minutes now and it's unbelievably quiet inside the car. 

Either she was really uncomfortable or scared out of her mind because she has yet to make any sounds, it's almost terrfying how little sound she's making. 

All of a sudden, I hear a weird sound coming from the passenger's side.

I turn my hear to find the source of the sound and all of my questions about the car ride were answered. 

She was dead asleep!

Well, how am I supposed to take her back to her place when she's not awake to tell me where to go?

Whatever, I guess I have no choice but to let her sleep in my place...

So much trouble for such a little woman...

12:50 [Condo, Seoul]

After finding the building where my condo was and handling everything with the reception desk, I had to carry my "guest" all the way to my room while the security guard downstairs had to carry my luggage. 

When we arrived at the condo, we found it to be completely furnished to just how I like it.

Good thing I had a designer go ahead of me and furnish the condo before I had arrived here. 

Waiving away the security guard, I paid him a tip and proceded to place Jessica on the bed in the master's bedroom.

As I laid her down, I couldn't help but admire her features. Even in her sleep, she simply astounded me, never have I been so dumbfounded by how God could create such a perfect person. 

Then, it hit me, the fact that there would be millions of men that would kill to be in my position right now.

To be able to be alone with such a perfect human being, they would ravish her.

I wanted none of that.

The "beast" inside didn't even care to come out.

No, I had a different feeling.

I didn't want to ravage her, I wanted to protect her.

To care for her.

In fact, if there was any interaction my body and soul yearned for...

It was just to be next to her, with her in my arms. 

Not to do anything nasty, no.

I just wanted her in my arms....

1:35 a.m. [Condo, Seoul]

After that awkward exchange with myself, I walked out into the kitchen and took off my suit jacket and proceded to look for anything my boss may have left me. 

To my surprise, all he left me was a bottle of my favorite vodka and a note saying,"Have Fun."

Smirking at how well he knew me, I simply poured myself a few shots and proceded over to the balcony overlooking the bussling streets of Seoul.

The view was almost exactly like the one I had in San Francisco, although, the city was much more colorful than San Francisco.

As I looked out onto the view, I kept thinking about how a simple woman who I had hardly known for a few hours had made me feel so many emotions that I tried so hard to suppress deep within my being. I wondered how for the 2nd time in a mere 8 hours she had broken me, of all people, twice. 

Suddenly, I heard the sound of footsteps behind me. 

Speak of the devil, here she was again. 

Quietly, I said,"Looking for something?"

Judging from the look in her eyes, she was still half asleep. She did manage to say,"Water?" in a very low voice.

Making my way over the kitchen, I poured her a glass of water and motioned for her to join me looking over the balcony.

After a few silent seconds, she looked over to me and asked,"Are you an alcoholc?"

Stunned by her sudden question, I said,"Why? Why would you thnk that?"

"Well, during the contract negotiations earlier you kept drinking some whiskey and right now, even if it's dead in the middle of the night, you're still out here drinking. So, unless there's some kind of occasion that I'm not aware of, there's no real reason for someone to be drinking so adamantly."

"Wow. That's some very good observation on your part, but I wouldn't call myself an alcoholic."

"Why not?"

"Because I don't drink to get drunk, I drink for..."

"For?"

"I'm not too sure actually. Maybe because in the moments where the alcohol is taking its route, I feel numb. Like, there's not a care in the world."

"Hm...."

"Do you drink a lot?"

"No, I don't particularly enjoy it."

"Good."

"Why?"

I smirked and said,"Cause if we go out drinking one day... there's more for me."

"Whatever. Why are you out here anyways? Just looking over out at the people on the streets."

"I don't really know why, it just gives me peace."

"Are you sure about that?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, this is just my observation based on your actions these past few hours that I've known you, but I think I understand how you truly are."

"Hmm... do explain."

"In public, you act like you're a cold and arrogant person because it makes you look stronger than everyone else, but within all your pride there really isn't anything but pain inside. When you get home, you see the truth between all the lies that you put out for people to believe who you are. Deep inside, you know that there's something missing in your life, something you aren't satisfied with in your life. You never let anyone else see this side of you though, although it does come out in certain moments. Like right now, you're looking over this balcony not because it gives you peace, but, rather, it helps you convince yourself that there's nothing wrong in your life, that you are better than everyone else. When just looking doesn't work, you turn to alcohol to help numb the pain, but it just continues to eat at your heart and soul every single day..."

"Wow. Such a clever deduction..."

"Mmhmm. Well, I better get to bed now. Goodnight, and thank you for everything."

Still dumfounded, I simply managed to reply,"You're welcome, sweet dreams."

As she left, I just stood there for what seemed like any eternity.

Wondering...

How a person I've known for less than a day could make me feel...

Weak

Caring

Broken

Lost

Yearning

All at the same time...

What stunned me most was that she was able to simply see through my facade,

The one that no one has ever broken through.

But she was able to see all the lies.

With her, I not only felt an unnatural connection...

But...

I felt so vulnurable

The Next Day [Condo, Seoul]

After an almost sleepless night, I decided to get up in the morning and cook up some breakfast. I managed to salvage some bread, eggs, and bacon from the barren wasteland that was my new refrigerator and decided to make some simple American breakfast plates.

When I finished cooking the food, I made my way over to the master's bedroom to wake up her majesty for her breakfast.

I made my way over to the side of the bed to shake her awake.

After a few minutes, she finally began to show signs of life and as soon as she opened her eyes to face me she let out a loud scream.

Shocked, I only managed to yell,"WHAT!?"

All of a sudden, she was scrunched herself up into a ball with my sheets and began muttering things in Korean.

Within a few moments, she seemed to have regained her composure and began saying more things in Korean, leaving me completely dumbfounded and lost.

I gave her a blank stare and said,"I don't speak Korean".

I began to walk out of the room and heard..

"Oh? Oh yeah! I'm sorry I forgot where I was for a second."

Unamused, I said,"Breakfast is ready."

She quietly followed behind me.

As soon as we sat down, I found myself being captivated by her once again.

Even when she was eating, she looked perfect.

Okay, now this is just getting weird.

I'd better stop doing this, it could get really creepy.

Regaining my senses, we shared a conversation while we ate breakfast. 

Afterwards, I offered my laundry room for her to wash her clothes while she took her shower so that she wouldn't have to worry about it later on.

While she was in the shower, her phone began to go off on the table. 

Checking to see if I could silence it, I accidentaly answered.

Hoping it was one of her members, I decided to clear up any misunderstandings that may have happened while I let her stay here in my place.

As soon as I put the phone up to my ear, I was bombarded by loud screaming in Korean.

Still assuming that it was her fellow group member, I said,"Tiffany?".

Suddenly, the person on the other side stopped yelling and started calling for someone named "Fany"?

After a few seconds, I heard a familiar voice on the line and said,"Hello? Tiffany?"

"Hmm? Oh, do I know you?"

"Thank God, you're there. Oh yeah, I'm the lawyer from yesterday's negotiations, do you remember?"

"Okay? Can I ask why you have Jessica's phone?"

"It's kind of a long story, so I'll just let her explain it to all of you when I drop her off later. Don't worry, she's in good hands nothing bad happened to her."

"If you say so. Okay, we'll see you later then."

As soon as I ended the call, I saw a figure walk out of my bedroom. 

Suddenly, all I heard was giggling and I quickly saw what had transpired.

Jessica walked out of my room with one of my dress shirts on.

She turned to me smiling and said,"I hope you don't mind me borrowing this while my clothes dry. It's so soft!"

God, she sounded like a little kid, but it was so cute.

Giving her a genuine smile and laugh, I said,"It should be fine. It doesn't suit your figure at all but I guess it fits the bill."

The shirt was far too long on her, it almost went down to her knees. For some reason, I didn't have the heart to take the shirt from her, even if it was my prized silk dress shirt. 

"Hey! That's a first!"

"What?"

"You're actually smiling! And laughing!"

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Well, you always act cold so I was wondering if you had any emotions at all. I mean sometimes you just seem so heartless..."

There it is again, that word.

This time it didn't just hurt though, it burned. 

This woman, she makes me feel every emotion on the spectrum.

And little did I understand that slowly but surely.

She was melting away the ice cold barrier I had around my heart.

Noon [Seoul]

After her clothes dried, we decided to head off to her dorm so that she could explain everything to her fellow members.

In the car she said she would start calling me "oppa" or something like that.

Or was it Oh-Pa?

Hmm... such a peculiar nickname...

We eventually found our way to her dorm and I proceded to ring the door bell.

As the door swung open, she gave me a quick peck on the cheek and said,"Thanks for everything, oppa."

At that moment, I melted. I would have been putty in her hands at that point. She could've asked for the world and I would have given my everything for her to get it. 

Unfortunately, her quick peck wasn't quick enough because I was met with glares from eight women who didn't seem to enjoy the same ecstasy I was in.

In fact, they seemed very hostile with the looks on their faces.

Then, I was bombarded with an array of words and phrases that I had no understanding of. 

Oh dear, this woman here. She's turning out to be much more troublesome than I thought...