The Only Way We Know

As The World Turns

10 Years Ago (Your POV) [San Francisco, USA]

Wow, I can't believe I'm going to graduate from high school tomorrow. I'm can't wait to go to UCLA next year and hopefully I make it into Harvard Law afterwards. Then, maybe I can really be happy. Well, my dad just told me to meet my brother and him at this restaurant here in San Francisco. Now, I'm on my way towards their table and I just hope that my brother kept his mouth shut over the fight we had three weeks ago. 

Father: "It took you a while."

You: "I had stuff to handle after school."

Brother: "I had school, and I still made it on time."

You: "Shut up."

Father: "Stop it, both of you. Now, I heard you two had a fight three weeks ago?"

You: "Who told you!?"

Father: "Don't worry about that. Now, why did you two fight?"

You: "He got angry and threw a punch at me."

Brother: "You provoked me!"

You: "I did not!"

Father: "Stop! Did you punch him back?"

Brother: "He did more than that..."

Father: "Good.."

Brother: "What!?"

Father: "Both of you need to learn something."

You: "What?"

Father: "When someone goes after you, you must go and return it. That's the only way you'll ever succeed in the cruel world. If you're too nice, people will trample over you."

You: "An eye for an eye?"

Father: "Exactly. Now, don't ever forget that."

Back To Present Time: The Next Morning [Condo, Seoul]

Waking up earlier than usual, I got up from my bed to check if I still had the ring I had bought for Jessica some few weeks ago. Looking through my drawers, I couldn't find it anywhere. Annoyed, I looked through everywhere else in my room to no avail. Disappointed, I dressed up and made my way to the nearest shopping centre. Whatever it took, I would have to this today, before we embarked on our plan...

Three Hours Later [Condo, Seoul]

I spent about an hour at the mall and when I came home Jessica had already gotten up and cooked breakfast for the both of us. I must say though, in the future I might just start cooking our meals because her skills aren't exactly "polished" at this point in her life. After breakfast, we sat down on the couch and watched some t.v. and saw a couple who referred to their unborn child with a nickname. 

Jessica: "Oppa, you think we should give the baby a nickname?"

You: "It's up to you."

Jessica: "What should it be?"

You: "Oops."

Jessica: "What is that supposed to mean!?"

You: "Oops daddy forgot to pull out and now mommy's pregnant..."

Jessica: "I'm serious!"

You: "Then come up with a serious one."

Jessica: "How about.... Angel!"

You: "If you say so..."

Jessica: "Do you like it or not?"

You: "Let's ask the baby."

Then, I put my ear against her stomach. I know full well that, at this stage, there won't be anything outside of some growth on Jessica's part, but I had it all planned out.

Jessica: "Oppa! You can't hear anything! It's too early!"

You: "But I do hear something..."

Jessica: "Really!?"

You: "Mmhmm.."

Jessica: "What is it?"

I got up and went on one knee in front of her while she was sitting. Pulling out the ring I had bought earlier, I opened the box to show the diamond encrusted piece I paid $24,000 for. In addition, I also pulled out two plane tickets.

You: "Angel would like to know if you'd marry his or her father..."

Jessica: "OPPA!"

She pulled me into the tightest hug that I've ever felt. Knowing her response already, I placed the ring on her left ring finger and gave her a light peck on the lips. Releasing me from her grasp, she began to eye the two pieces of paper that were also in my hands.

Jessica: "Plane tickets?"

You: "Yup."

Jessica: "To where?"

You: "To anywhere you want."

Knowing full well that what I meant was where she would like to start out new lives together, her eyes began to water. I knew that at this moment, everything that had been burdening my body was lifted. My life was complete, as long as my life stayed like this, I could die happy. Even in the massive expanse that is the world, I knew I was the luckiest man alive. With Jessica, I knew that I truly dd have everything any man would want. 

Later That Night [Bank, Seoul]

Our flight is in about four hours time and I decided that I should take some cash from my bank accounts just in case we needed some before I could get to a bank. Telling Jessica to wait in the car, I made my way inside the bank. We didn't tell a soul of what we had intended on doing, not even SNSD or Keito and Suzy. No one knew, we would just leave without a trace. However, Jessica was also kept in the dark about something too.

I specifically made my way to this bank because I had several accounts under an alias I had made in Japan here. Foremost, the CEO of this massive chain was none other than my own father. Knowing he was still in Korea, I knew now would be the best way to settle things, once and for all. 

Making my way to the top floor of the 54 story building, I made my way to his secretary and made my transaction. Given my alias' high credit rating, I was given unlimited funds to loan from this bank. Knowing the total cash reserves of the bank, I transferred all but $10 into an account in Switzerland and made my way into my father's office. 

No body armor whatsoever. 

Stupid, I know.

But it's now or never. 

Secretary: "Sir, I know you're busy talking to your son. However, a very important client is here to meet you."

Father: "Who is it?"

Secretary: "Ken Kurosawa, sir."

Brother: "From Japan? That man has a marvelous credit rating! He must have taken out a lot of money!"

Father: "Most of our reserves actually. We'd be bankrupt if he doesn't pay the money back... Let him in!"

Just then, the secretary moved out of the way and let me into the room. Bearing greedy smiles on their faces awaiting their "guest", their looks quickly turned to shock.

Brother: "No way..."

Father: "How did you--!?"

You: "How did I escape? With difficulty. How did I plan this moment? With pleasure."

Then, I pulled my gold plated Berretta out and pointed it straight at my father. All of sudden, my brother began laughing and giving an arrogant smirk. 

Brother: "I must say, brother, you really are something."

You: "Why are you laughing!?"

Brother: "First, I find out you're the legendary 'Akuma' of the Yakuza. Now, you're actually one of the richest men in the world? I must say, you're a very interesting person."

You: "Shut your mouth."

Father: "Akuma? You've been the legendary devil of the Yakuza the entire time?"

You: "Surprise."

Father: "Why are you here!?"

You: "You know why."

Brother: "You're filthy stinking rich. What would you need those properties for?"

You: "I don't care about the property!"

Brother: "Then, why are you here?"

You: "You both tried having me killed and sent to jail! I'm your own flesh and blood!"

Father: "It was for the best..."

You: "For the best!? You had your own son sent to prison because it was 'for the best' !?"

Father: "We had to take you away from that woman... and that was the only way we knew how..."

You: "How dare you!"

Releasing the safety from my gun, I aimed it straight into the face of my own father and held the trigger within a centimeter of firing.

Brother: "Speaking of which... Shouldn't you be worried about where your precious Jessica is?"

You: "What're you talking about!?"

All of a sudden, four Triad members made their way inside the room holding Jessica at gun point. Seeing this, I made my move quickly and beat the one holding Jessica and managed to pry her away from them. However, I thought they would start firing, but they didn't.

You: "Jessica, are the two of you okay?"

Jessica: "I think so..."

Brother: "No way..."

Father: "I knew she was bad luck... but this... I can't believe it..."

Brother: "Can you imagine? I'm going to be the uncle of the bastard child of a dead Yakuza killer and a Korean !"

You: "Watch your mouth!"

Pointing my gun straight at him, I earned a response from all the Triad in the room. Suddenly, I had one gun pointed at my brother and had five pointed straight at me. Out of nowhere, even my brother had pulled out his own gun. 

Brother: "You'd better chose your next move wisely, brother. It just may be your last..."

All of a sudden, a helicopter flew to the window of the office and began firing its machine gun at the Triad. In the spur of the moment, my brother and father made their way out of the room running. When the firing subsided, I saw some 10 figures hop into the office from the helicopter. Quickly, I realized who they were. They were Keito, Suzy, and my 'Akuma' strike force back from my Yakuza days. 

Keito: "You idiot! Why would you go at them alone?"

You: "I had to..."

Keito: "Don't you understand!? You have people you can trust!"

You: "I'm sorry... my friend..."

Keito: "Suzy! You take care of Jessica here with one of the men!"

Suzy: "Alright!"

Keito: "Now, go on out there with your men and finish this!"

Getting confirmation from Keito, our small group of 9 operatives ran outside of the room to find 50 Triads guarding the way up to the roof. Knowing that my father and brother must have gone up to get a helicopter, I decided to push through the Triads to get to them. Without a moments notice, all hell broke loose and all that could be heard was gun shots and screams. Even if my men were superior in training,  their sheer numbers proved to be difficult to deal with.

Making my way through to cover, I saw one of my comrades take out five or six Triad with a single magazine. On the other side, all I saw was pure carnage as the young boys they threw at us were hardly trained in the art of fighting in a true gunfight. 

Look at the young men fighting.

Pushing further towards the stairs, I shot down more and more Triad as I watched my comrades also take many lives. In turn, I also saw some of my own men falling victim to the very same malice that they were using against their Triad enemies.

Why must this go on? They have no place in this, this is not their fight. 

As we pushed closer and closer, more Triads came and more blood stained the floor. Everywhere you went on this floor, there was blood. The blood of those who were blindly devoted to the cause of their "gang".

Look at the blood we're spilling. When will it end? What is this for? For my own selfish pride? 

We kept fighting on, with no forseeable end in sight. All you could see was the flash of guns going off and the traces of those who were hit. No man was spared, all those not able to maintain the fight were killed. As we held on to our numbers, for every Triad member that went down, it seemed another one took his place.

They're like lambs to the slaughter. We need to finish this quickly.

I could feel the blood beneath my feet as we drew closer to the stairs. Seeing an opening, Keito and I ran for the stairs but were stopped when Keito fell from being shot in the leg.

You: "Keito!"

Keito: "Leave me! Go! Finish this!"

You: "You're injured!"

Keito: "Forget about me! Think of your girlfriend and child! Finish this for them!"

Acknowledging what he said, I made my way up the stairwell towards the roof. I was met with some three or four Triad, but they were easy for me to handle. When I made it up to the roof, I found my brother and father both standing near a helipad. Clearly, they had thought I would be dead by now because the surprise on their faces was filled with both fear and supreme anger.

Brother: "HOW!?"

You: "You actually thought you could kill me?"

Brother: "Like hell I did!"

You: "Tonight, you'll be in hell and the devil will laugh at you for thinking you could actually have a chance of killing me!"

Brother: "You're the one going to hell tonight!"

He pulled his gun out and aimed it straight at me. Knowing he would crack at any moment, I also aimed my gun at him and waited for him to make his move. Just as it seemed he would finally pull the trigger, his train of thought was disrupted by a scream.

Jessica: "STOP!"

Jessica was being led up by Suzy and the rest of the Yakuza, even Keito. They all pointed their guns at my brother and the tables were quickly turned against him. 

Father: "Both of you, stop it,  its over."

Brother: "NO! I will not give in!"

You: "If you wish to die so much... It'll make more than that round to finish me."

Brother: "Then I'll put it where it'll do the most damage!"

In an instant, he changed his aim from me to Jessica and I was quick enough to catch up with his movement. As he fired, I too fired straight at his heart. All that could be heard was the bang from the guns and two bodies dropping to the floor. I knew I had hit him well, but I also knew I felt a hit in my chest. Then, it all went black...

Five Minutes Later (3rd Person POV) [Helicopter, Seoul]

After you were shot, Keito had the helicopter take you to hospital immediately. Being as it was a 15 minute ride to the hospital, there was absolute silence coming from the Yakuza who were trying to stop your bleeding. In the back of the airplane, both Suzy and Jessica were crying over the possibility of your impending death. The blood wouldn't stop, but you did manage to regain conciousness for some time. 

You: "Jessica..."

Keito: "Jessica!"

Jessica: "Oppa... Don't talk too much... your energy... you need it..."

You: "All my love.... Jessica.... this... may be our last goodbye...."

Jessica: "No! Don't say that oppa!"

You: "You can't save me... my time has come..."

Jessica: "We can! We can!"

You: "I've got to... go... never love another.... how you... loved me so...."

Jessica: "You can make it oppa! Hold on!"

You: "To think... my new life... had just begun... I'm so... afraid... to leave this all behind..."

Jessica: "Oppa! Just rest!"

You: "Goodbye everybody... I've got to go.... I have to face the truth.... I think... this is it.... it's the end..."

Keito: "My friend..."

Suzy: "Oppa..."

With that, you once again faded out of conciousness and the helicopter was filled with silence. Tears flowed from everybody's eyes, but no sounds were heard. Perhaps they were all shocked, or maybe they had come to terms with the staunch reality of the stituation. 

All-in-all, greed was the culprit in all that has happened in both yours and Jessica's lives. 

Greed led a brother to loathe a brother.

Greed saw a father watch his two sons fire at each other with intent to kill.

He had always taught his sons to take what is given. 

It was the only way they knew.

An eye for an eye.

A life...

For a life...