chapter five

Powerless Wonder
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Minseok never wanted to be the weak one.

But today - in the middle of the night - his breath hitched. He felt his heart clench. His stomach felt like it was being ripped apart. His hands were trembling a little, his body hot and cold at the same time - at least, that was how he felt. Other than trembling, his body was almost motionless.

He couldn't count all the places the pain was - it was all over him, but not everywhere. 

Would this be the end? He really wanted to know. He didn't like goodbyes. Not because it was so hard to let go, no, Minseok never had a problem with that. Goodbyes were easy to say, easy to do. He just didn't like how dramatic people made it out to be, so he ended up wondering how he, himself, would say goodbye. And whether he would give a goodbye at all.

And maybe because he didn't want to say goodbye to a certain doe-eyed guy staring at him, yet. He didn't like Luhan's watery eyes looking down at him. Minseok shook his head at him, but Luhan only smiled, refusing to let the tears fall.

There was so much Minseok wanted to do, so much he wanted to try. 

Luhan didn't like this either.

Even though Minseok was the sick one, Luhan was hurt, too. Luhan wanted to cry for Minseok, because he wasn't crying. Minseok had no teary eyes - his eyes were cold and blank - the only thing reacting was his weak body. Luhan wondered how many times this had happened before, that Minseok didn't cry - that Minseok wasn't scared.

In his mind, he was praying. Please not today - but Minseok had never really been lucky. 

On the other hand, this wasn't a big deal for Minseok anyway.


A nurse pushed Luhan away from the bed in a hurry,"Luhan, you can leave now! We need space!" But Luhan didn't want to, so he stood by the table next to the window. His eyes never left Minseok's. Doctor Jeong was focused on Minseok and calming the body. Another Doctor gave him pain killers. 

And as if Minseok couldn't hear them, they started a conversation. 

"Patient 201 is getting worse again? I thought the last time we had good news?" One of the two doctors said. Doctor Jeong sighed, messing Minseok's pulse,"Yes, we had. This happens from time to time, it's normal. Sometimes it's not too bad, and sometimes it's... like this. We can never be sure..." The nurse cut in,"Shouldn't we call his family members? What if he--" 

Luhan interrupted with a frown, his eyes leaving the nurse and traveling to Minseok,"Come on, Kim Minseok! We still have a lot to do!" 

As if Minseok's body had been listening, it calmed down. Doctor Jeong stared, speechless. Usually, Minseok would suffer half of the day like this, minimum. She exchanged looks with the other doctor, the nurse and lastly with Luhan. In which, he only glared back. 

"Leave," Minseok's cold weak voice broke the silence. The doctors and the nurse nodded their heads, though Doctor Jeong knew that Minseok was still in pain, Minseok just didn't want to show it. He had always been like that. But she, too, left, leaving Minseok alone with Luhan.


Luhan slowly sat back in the chair by Minseok's bed again, smiling down at him in silence. He glanced over to Minseok's hand and back to him. He slowly took Minseok's hand in his,"You're going to be okay."

Minseok allowed himself to smile this once again, at the doe eyed man.



The next morning gave off a weird vibe.

Minseok wondered why Luhan looked at him so weirdly. And Luhan wondered why Minseok was avoiding his gaze.

"What?" Minseok mumbled after they had finished breakfast, still not looking at the doe eyed man. Luhan widened his eyes a little, then frowned,"What 'what'?"

Minseok sighed, putting the empty plate away,"Don't look." Luhan grinned sheepishly,"But Minseok, I was wondering about something..." At this Minseok

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter