chapter two

Powerless Wonder
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Patient 201, Kim Minseok." 

Minseok watched how two different doctors and a nurse walked inside. They gathered around him, the nurse holding a clipboard and waiting for something to note down. 

Doctor Jeong crossed her arms as soon as Minseok had eye contact with her. He couldn't help but only stare back. He didn't know what she wanted. Did he do something again? He couldn't have - the last two days (after Luhan had been here) no one visited, he didn't leave the room and only left the bed when he needed to use the washroom or eat breakfast.

So he looked to his side, the clock on the wall next to the wardrobe he had his belongings in. Lunchtime would be in thirty minutes, he hoped the doctors wouldn't spoil his appetite.

"Mister Kim," the other doctor, Doctor Lee, started, taking Minseok's attention,"Your health inspection will be in three days, you know that already. But we looked at your recent papers and that made us come to you earlier."

With the doctors pause, Minseok just looked at the white wall on the other side of the room. 

When was the last time he had heard good news? He didn't remember. 

"Your condition, Minseok, got worse." Doctor Jeong said, her voice a little raised. This wasn't the first time that his condition had worsened and Doctor Jeong had been his Doctor from the beginning, yet, never did she see any reaction to whatever they said to him about his health. 

He looked up at the Doctor who stared him down. He blinked two times, slowly. "Anything else?" Minseok mumbled, looking at the white blanket his hands rested on,"Details?"

"Well, just like all the other times," Doctor Jeong didn't give the other doctor the chance to speak,"we're not sure about what to do yet, so we wanted to contact your family." Minseok's tired gaze didn't move a bit, he blinked slowly again. It was as if saying that they could continue to talk, that he was listening. 

"Maybe some fresh air would be good for you." Doctor Lee reached out to pat him on the shoulder, but Minseok's gaze made him slow him motions. He still patted him on the shoulder though, once and awkwardly. The doctor adjusted his glasses and cleared his throat, smiling,"We would like to intensify our observations on you. That means, you're going to get more visits!" 

Minseok laid his head on the pillow right behind his head,"Could you lower--"

"I'm sorry, I'm late!" a slightly gasping voice said loudly, barging in the room. Luckily, not forgetting to close the door quietly.

So noisy, Minseok closed his eyes gently, with little sigh escaping his lips. 

"Luhan, finally!" Doctor Jeong's hard expression was exchanged with a relieved one, as Minseok opened his eyes again,"This is Patient 201, Kim Minseok. He is under your care now."

Luhan's eyes met Minseok's and of course, Luhan smiled. Minseok didn't. 

Luhan took his place next to Doctor Jeong, his eyes not leaving Minseok's, even when the gaze wasn't returned. Doctor Jeong started explaining why Luhan was here, why he was chosen, why it had to be Luhan, why it had to be Patient 201.. Minseok didn't want to listen. He didn't care enough.

He turned to the clock again, 15 minutes until lunchtime. He hoped to be left alone for that.

"So that would be it," Doctor Jeong nodded to herself,"We take our leave." With that she gave Luhan an encouraging pat on the shoulder and left the roo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter