chapter sixteen

Powerless Wonder
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

If there was one thing Minseok couldn't stand that day, it was knowing, his mother was sitting outside of Room 201. Waiting. Hoping.

Minseok really did not like the thought about that. After all, how could he possibly not care about his mother shedding tears (and that, over him). No matter what would happen, if his mother was crying, he would wish to be by her side and maybe, try to make her smile with a little of his humour. Because he wasn't the type to give a hug or sweet talk, he never could. 

While he was here in this room, hoping for it to end, there were people on the other side of the door, hoping he could go on. He did not know what to do. Perhaps that didn't matter anyway, he couldn't move his body much. It hurt. 
That's why he was surrounded by nurses and a doctor, trying to save his life, calm his body. Calm the pain. Maybe those who left the room, calm those waiting. He did not like any of this.

 

If there was one thing Mrs Kim Siyeon couldn't stand that day, it was her son on the other side of that very door, who wasn't crying over this - never did.

As a mother who rarely came by and if, for a short time only, it was predictable to get disapproving looks her way. The nurses did not even try to calm her down or talk to her. They ignored her on purpose, she thought, they knew she had done wrong. But they went over to that boy - that intern who seemed to have become attached to her son. His body composure calm, silently crying. One nurse telling him not to worry. The other then told him honest details about what was going on. Another boy in hospital patient clothing gave pitying looks the intern's way. "It's going to be all right, he always ends up okay." She heard the boy whisper to the intern.

She sniffed and looked over to him. Yes, the boy was right. Minseok had always ended up okay. Just okay. 
Her heart filled with regret. She knew Minseok would survive this seizure as well, like he had always done. He was such a strong person in her eyes, she only now realised. So strong, she left him alone because she couldn't deal with seeing him that way. Even though Minseok was the one in pain. She had never been okay with it. 
But Minseok had always been okay, with everything - it seemed. 

A day would come without his survival.

She sensed the intern's glare at the back of her head from time to time.

 

"I'm sorry," Doctor Jeong apologises in a professional way,"You can't see him now. His condition has been stabilised but he needs a lot of rest. He requested to not let visitors in." Away from Mrs Kim's eyes, she looked over to Luhan,"Not even you, Luhan, I'm sorry."

"It's okay," Luhan understood quickly, wiped his eyes with his sweater's sleeves and cleared his throat,"I'll wait here."

"Perhaps you can go over to Nurse Yoo in an hour. She has write over Minseok's hospital papers and records, maybe you can help?" Doctor Jeong gives a sympathetic smile and a light squeeze on his shoulder. Luhan smiled back weakly, giving a nod. Doctor Jeong left, spared no more glance Mrs Kim's way. The other boy, Byun Baekhyun, went back into Room 201.


Mrs Kim watched Luhan sit down by the waiting area in front of Room 201's door again. She decided to sit next to him.

She did not know what to say but this intern was s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter