HBD

Beautiful Insecurities

Chapter 22 - HBD

 

Unknown number: Hey Aerin! I got your number from Daehyun hyung. I was wondering if you wanted to come to my birthday party this coming Thursday after school hehe. It isn’t really a party just a get together with some people I know. We’ll be playing videogames and other games and chill and stuff, Naruto and other anime games! Ok bye hope to see u – Moon Jongup

My lips curled up in a smile once I read the message. I had taken a break from reading and I was making the final adjustments for our movie review. Jin and I were as good as done with our assignment and I was satisfied. The lay out and thus the first impression looked neat and so did the actual content of the review.

I watched Jin as he was reading our review intently, double checking for mistakes just to be sure. He had never found one single mistake during the entire time that we had worked together, while I, on the other hand, found tons. In his perspective everything seemed already perfect. But I hadn’t agreed with that. His eyes were practically glued to the paper, next to him a dictionary so that he could search up the meaning of some of the words I had used and he didn’t understand. The sight made me chuckle and that caused Jin to look up at me with a puzzled look.

‘’What?’’ He asked with a surprised expression as he heard my sudden chuckle.

‘’You’re so concentrated,’’ I laughed. He looked like a cute puppy.

‘’That’s because I want to contribute something. You practically wrote all of this by yourself and you also did the lay out. Actually, you did almost everything and I’m sorry that I kind of in writing and couldn’t help you out more,’’ he chuckled unsurely. His expression seemed apologetic despite the fact that he had laughed in an attempt to not make this into an all too serious matter, and honestly I felt quite bad.

‘’You contributed! I only wrote down what you voiced and there has to be someone with the idea right? That’s you! It’s really fine, partner,’’ I reassured him jokingly. I had a tendency of taking the lead when it came to partner assignments and I felt quite bad for that now. Maybe I had taken it too far, to the point he felt unneeded and useless. I certainly didn’t want him to have that feeling since he had been contributing more than I had initially thought he would.

‘’It’s not that I don’t mind doing nothing, it’s actually nice. It’s just… I feel bad for making you do a lot, that’s all,’’ he shrugged somewhat awkwardly.

‘’It’s really fine,’’ I smiled to reassure him. He, in return, nodded sheepishly.

I wasn’t lying: it was fine. I was proud of this assignment, our work. Besides I had never felt burdened throughout the whole progress, as a matter of fact I was grateful to Jin.

‘’So do you think it’s good if we hand it in like this?’’ I asked him after I was done reading it through for the last time. I guessed that he was already done, since he was playing with his phone.

‘’Good? It’s amazing. It would’ve never been this good if I were to have another partner,’’ he grinned, ‘’this will be my first high mark for English, ever!’’

I laughed because of his exaggeration. It was hardly that good as he made it seem.

‘’Hey, uh we're done right? Is it alright with you if I go? There is somewhere I need to be.’’

‘’Of course. We only need to turn all of this in tomorrow during English class,’’ I casually responded as I pointed towards all our papers shattered over the big table. I grabbed them, put them in the right order and organized them in the map.

‘’Alright,’’ he said as he slung his bag over his shoulder. He was about to walk towards the exit of the library but turned around to face me before he spoke up, ’’Aerin really, thanks for all your hard work and all.’’

I smiled and nodded, silently thanking him too. Jin made it seem as if he didn’t do anything while it was both our doing that got this assignment done.

I slumped in my chair after Jin had left, watching my phone that lay on the table. I grabbed it and reread Jongup’s text. That boy seemed like such an angel. He didn’t even know me properly and yet there he was, inviting me over on his birthday. I grinned thinking about it. I wasn’t really good in playing videogames but that didn’t mean that it couldn’t be fun nonetheless. Daehyun was certainly going to be there and the thought of that alone made me a bit more enthusiastic. I hadn’t spoken to the said guy in a while. Not after our supposed date which had been over more than a week ago.

It was a week wherein I had been engrossed in schoolwork, especially that specific assignment with Jin. Daehyun hadn’t cared to contact me after that day – much to my disappointment. I had hoped that we would talk on a regular basis, but we hadn’t. Somewhere I knew that that could be blamed on me. After all, I could’ve easily contacted him too. Somehow I was afraid to, however. I, unlike Daehyun, wasn’t a mood maker and therefore I had no clue about what I would even say to him. There was just this urge to talk to him, but about what was another question. What if our conversation would turn silent? What if he would ignore me again? Things like that had hunted me and therefore I hadn’t contacted him. Which in turn, made me sulkier than it should. I somehow missed him. As crazy as it sounded, I did.

I also hadn’t seen Chaerin much - nor Jea - throughout the whole week. Not meeting with the former had been a relief as I had tried to avoid her. She had send me messages on KakaoTalk, demanding details about that date, but I hadn't budged. She wanted to know details I wasn’t willing to share just yet. Chaerin would most likely become really nosy – and embarrassing.

I stared at my phone, deciding that I was supposed to let Jongup know whether I would be present or not. I saved his number before I eagerly typed a response.

 

Aerin: Hi Jongup, sounds like fun! I really such in videogames though, but I'll try my best. Count me in!

 

I clicked send before I slung my bag over my shoulder, ready to head out of the library, with a happy heart.

 

 

Jin was looking like a proud little kid as he handed Mr. Nam our assignment with much enthusiasm.

‘’You sure seem to be proud,’’ Mr. Nam remarked as he received our quite thick review.

‘’I am sir,’’ he grinned cheekily. Mr. Nam nodded unsurely - probably not used to this side of Jin - before he fixed his gaze on me, almost asking me what was going on. I shrugged innocently before a smile crept up on my face. Jin was quite the character when he wasn’t around his people.

The bell rang, signaling the end of this class and the end of the deadline. Most of our classmates were organizing their map before heading towards Mr. Nam, handing him their work. Jin patted me on my shoulder, his grin still gracing his lips, which made me turn slightly so I could have a look on him.   

‘’You look like you won the lottery or something, it’s just an assignment,’’ I chuckled as the both of us were making our ways towards the locker area. His locker was far away from mine, since I didn’t recall ever seeing him near mine.

‘’It sure feels like it! And it was fun… with you. Though you reminded me of a tyrant sometimes,’’ he chuckled. We stood still now since I was about to head the other direction.

I raised a brow, ‘’I was not bad at all!’’ I laughed in my defense.

‘’Yeah, I’m kidding you were pretty cool,’’ he laughed, ‘’I’m heading towards there,’’ he pointed towards his locker section, ‘’I guess this is some sort of a goodbye.’’ He faked a pout and I shook my head in amusement. He was acting like we weren’t going to see each other again. We were in the same classes. I shared all my classes with him as a matter of fact. Somehow I knew what he meant though. We were never close. We never talked and now we had sort of bonded. We were actually… friends? And I wondered if that would be over now that we were back to simple classmates instead of partners again. Though I didn't really think we would.

‘’Bye ex-partner,’’ he sighed dramatically, putting emphasize on the ex, as he walked away with a wave. I watched his retreating figure in amusement, letting out a soft chuckle, before I headed towards my own locker.

 

The cafeteria was quite calm. Probably because the weather had been nice, despite it being the 4th of February, which the students had probably seized right away. I noticed the majority of my classmates already seated at their table and that’s when I noticed that Soojin wasn’t with her original posse anymore. She hadn’t been with them ever since I had encountered her that day in the dressing room and I actually hadn’t seen her in the cafeteria ever since that day either. It was quite unusual. I had wondered where she would spend her lunch break. She was here now though. She was seated alone, staring at her food in a quite sad demeanor.

That demeanor had been present for the entire week. Soojin had been quiet during class and she seemed upset. Nobody had really cared to ask what was wrong with her, not even me, and that gnawed at me somehow. She hadn’t approached me and I figured that she wasn’t sure where we were standing. Frankly I didn’t have a single clue either. I wasn’t mad at her anymore, I hadn’t been for a long time but Soojin didn’t really know that. She had left that day in the dressing room, probably not sure if I had forgiven here since I hadn’t really said anything about it with many words. I thought that she would understand that I had forgiven her but since she hadn't approached me I started to doubt that theory. My thoughts about Soojin were interrupted by the buzz of my phone.

 

Chaerin: I won't be having lunch with you guys, I'm with Yongguk

Jea: Oeeeeeeeeh!

Jea: Aerin, I'm coming right now. Mrs. Goo wasn't allowing us to just yet -.-

Aerin: Okay, I'll be at the usual spot

 

I pressed send before I seated myself on our table and took out the piece of cake my mother had baked. It was a Red Velvet cake and there was a piece for Jea and Chaerin too. I figured that Chaerin wouldn’t be eating her piece this break though.

Jea came soon enough and we peacefully had lunch, speaking mostly about Soojin as Jea noticed me looking over her sad figure once in a while. I told Jea about my story of the fight since I hadn't. I only told Chaerin, after all. Jea had listened carefully as I spoke. Before I knew it lunch break was over and we parted as we both headed to our class.

 

 

‘’Where did he live again?’’ Jea asked as she yawned and seated herself in the passanger seat next to Chaerin. Chaerin’s right hand rested on the steering wheel as her left hand grabbed her phone. Her finger swiped over the screen and she checked the address that Yongguk had send her minutes ago. It was Thursday after school and Chaerin was about to drive us over to Jongup’s.

‘’Hmm,’’ Chaerin hummed, ‘’I’m reading into that right now,’’ she said as her gaze kept shifting between her phone and her GPS, typing the address in her GPS.

‘’I got it, we’re set to go!’’ She beamed after the familiar voice of the GPS began to speak. Jea turned her head to look at me for a moment.

‘’I forgot to ask but are you friends with Soojin again?’’ Jea asked as she fastened her seatbelt. Chaerin and I did the same before we drove off.

‘’I have told her that I'm not mad of her anymore but she hasn’t really approached me ever since. She’s eating alone and she doesn’t really talk to anyone in class. I guess she has things she struggles with so-‘’

‘’So that’s why she was taking things out on you?’’ Chaerin cut in. I rolled my eyes at her interruption.

‘’No Chaerin. That’s not it.’’

‘’Hmm,’’ Chaerin hummed as if she was doubting my words, or rather Soojin.

‘’So yeah, I’m not sure where she thinks we’re standing. In my heart I kind of forgave her already, so yeah,’’ I said as I turned to Jea, dismissing Chaerin. Jea simply nodded.

‘’You forgive rather easily,’’ Chaerin spoke again.

‘’Yeah, because there is no point in fighting someone over a silly matter and she’s sorry. What are trying to say here Chaerin?’’ I asked, annoyance evident in my voice.

Chaerin‘s right finger impatiently tapped the steering wheel as we were in front of a traffic light, waiting for a green light. She took the opportunity to look at me  for a brief couple of seconds before she focused on the road in front of her again.

‘’Oh nothing Aerin. As long as she doesn’t pull something like this on you again I’m just as cool as you are,’’ Chaerin stated in a flat voice. I narrowed my eyes at her words.

‘’Whoa guys why so serious all of sudden? No need to arrive at the party already irritated right?’’ Jea tried to joke as she took notice of this certain tension that was forming. I knew that Chaerin didn’t like Soojin one bit, but that didn’t mean that she had the right to judge the way I had handled her. It was almost as if Chaerin was mocking my choice of forgiving her. But Jea was right: there was no reason to become this serious over this matter.

‘’You’re right. Sorry Aerin, friends again?’’ Chaerin joked good-naturedly, realizing that she had been acting rather ridiculous.

I shrugged indifferently, acting as if I couldn’t care less. It was just to mock Chaerin anyway and she knew that since she started to shake her head in that Aerin is crazy matter, which in turn made me grin. I guess that this was just how easy our friendship was sometimes. Forgive and forget.

 

‘’We’re here,’’ Chaerin announced as we pulled up an unfamiliar street. Chaerin parked her car and turned off the engine before the three of us got out and waited for Chaerin to tell us which doorbell we needed to ring. She looked at her phone and mouthed a house number seven before we made our way towards there and rang the bell.

The door flew open almost immediately and we met with a smiling Moon Jongup. He invited us in and we sheepishly did before we took our coats off. Jongup stood in the hallway, watching us, before he took our coats and stored them away. Both Jea and Chaerin were done rather quickly with untying their shoes and gave him a hug as they congratulated him. He smiled brightly in response before he announced that they could head to the living room already, something they instantly did, leaving me alone with him.

I stood sheepishly as I was done with my shoes and contemplated on giving him his gift already. It was a gift I somewhat regretted and I figured that nobody would know about it if I were to give it him here, in the hallway. And so I searched my bag before I congratulated Jongup - without a hug - and handed him the wrapped present.

His eyes widened in surprise. ‘’What is this?’’ He asked dumbfounded.

‘’Your present of course,’’ I chuckled awkwardly. His eyes were fixated on the little package he was holding.

‘’You shouldn’t have bought me something. I told most of the people that I didn’t want anything,’’ he said as he started to unwrap the paper with curious eyes.

‘’Oh,’’ I said dryly. He laughed at my response. I noticed how Jongup’s eyes filled with surprise the moment he realized what was inside the wrapped package.

‘’I… I don’t know if you have seen it already. But I really liked the movie, so I thought maybe you would too. It’s not much and now that I think about it it’s actually pretty lame too, sorry,’’ I apologized awkwardly in one breath as I tried to read Jongup’s expression.

‘’Are you kidding me? I wanted to see this movie all along!’’ He exclaimed happily as he examined the cover of the Frozen DVD.

‘’Really?’’ I asked somewhat relieved.

Jongup nodded excitedly as a wide bright smile crept on his face, ’’I wanted to see it in the cinema but nobody wanted to go with me actually,’’ he laughed, ‘’Thanks Aerin, it is really great!’’ He finished as he motioned for me to follow him, probably towards the living room.

As he opened the door to the living room I was instantly greeted with the sight of people chatting away and the sound of exclaims due to frustration - or excitement - of the videogames they were being played.

And I was greeted with another sight: the sight of Choi Yuna.

She was incredible eye-catching today. She was always an eye-catcher, but right now she seemed to have something extra. As if she had dressed up before she had come here. Her lips were colored a bright red pinkish color and her hair was perfectly styled – in that typical celebrity hairdo. Her loose waves casually rested on her shoulder as she charismatically pulled her fingers through it - tousling it perfectly - as she talked with Daehyun, whom was sitting beside her on the couch. She was wearing a white tight T-shirt that hugged her lean body paired with simple light blue jeans and cute white polka dotted socks. The look was simple yet, with her looks, dashing. Daehyun was wearing something that seemed like a white button up with a T-shirt over that. It had the number 79 on it. On his head was a snapback that he worn backwards and on his feet were simple black socks. He looked good, but then again he always did.

I couldn’t help but to stare at the two of them for a second, in envy. As if I was missing on a relationship the two of them seemed to have. That changed into jealousy as I took notice of the irresistible smile she flashed in front of him. She was just so stunning, it was truly unfair. I eyed my own attire, which consisted of a simple grey tank top and a denim blouse - which I hadn’t buttoned up - over that, in disappointment and mentally scolded myself for not looking a bit more decent.

Jongup gently touched my shoulder - disturbing my staring session - as he probably thought that I was zoning out. It was only then that I seemed to realize that Yuna and Daehyun weren’t the only ones in here. In fact, there were about twenty people in this living room. And so I flashed a smile towards the people who acknowledged my presence - those people not being Yuna or Daehyun - before I skipped towards the couch where both Jea and Chaerin were seated. Jea sat on the outer left of the one couch, casually leaning her elbow against the armrest, and Chaerin sat beside her. Next to Chaerin sat Yongguk. The space on both couches were completely taken, some people were already seated on random chairs that had probably been pulled out for them and I just stood sheepishly, not knowing where to sit or how to stand.

‘’Wait a minute Aerin. I’ll get a chair for you,’’ Jongup smiled before he made his way towards somewhere. It took him less than a minute to be back. In one hand he was holding the chair as the other hand was still holding onto the Frozen DVD I had given him. He settled the chair besides Jea and I gratefully took a seat after Jongup had motioned for me to sit down.

As I sat I glanced over at Yuna and Daehyun. Yuna seemed somewhat ecstatic with talking to Daehyun as she was constantly flashing her stunning smile. Daehyun, on the contrary, seemed rather neutral. He simply watched her as she spoke, nodding a couple of times.

After some seconds Yuna seemed to take notice of me as she waved at me with a dashing smile. I smiled sheepishly in her direction, my focus actually on Daehyun. He hadn’t noticed the exchange between Yuna and me as he was staring at the television screen, watching some guys I didn’t know - and Zelo - play videogames. Yuna turned to look at Daehyun and she seemed to take notice of him staring at that screen as she tapped his shoulder. He in return turned his head to look at her and that’s when she pointed at me, silently telling him that I was present.

Time seemed to stand still as Daehyun and I stared at each other for a couple of seconds. He wore a rather blank expression I couldn’t define before Yuna interfered our staring moment as she grabbed his left hand. Daehyun seemed somewhat shocked with the action and I felt a weird thud on my heart as I watched the scene unfold. Yuna moved his hand, making him wave at me in which Daehyun sheepishly complied. It was a quite nice gesture of her, but knowing that it was meant with good intentions didn’t make me feel any better, not in the slightest.

Honestly the way she could just casually grab his hand like that made me more jealous.

 

Choi Yuna sure was a lucky girl. And I sure wasn't.