Perks of the internet

Beautiful Insecurities

Chapter 12 - Perks of the internet

 

People say time goes by fast and I found out just how true that is. December had flown by rather quickly and I found myself on Saterday the 11th of January, working in my dad’s store. Normally I would work on Sundays but sometimes he would switch up my shifts whenever he felt the need to. It had been a quiet little month – except for Christmas and the holidays of course. There were no slumber parties or parties even, no boys and especially no Jung Daehyun. It was funny how I had run into him since I met him time after time but now there was no real sign of him. I did see him in the hallway and cafeteria. Sometimes we would exchange looks and that was all there was to it. This one time I went over to Jea’s to pick up a book I had once lend her - yes, I had lend it to her and yes I had to pick it up myself - and he had been there too, but somehow we acted rather distant. Or actually I had been acting rather distant. He would greet me with smiles, words even, but I would just nod and walk away from him. I guess I was a little disappointed because of the things I had heard about him, somehow. It wasn’t really fair towards him, but so wasn’t he when he had acted like a jerk and had offended me at that party, multiple times. I guess I was still a little butthurt over that.

I had been wrong about Soojin apparently. When I had met her in class, two days later, she had acted quite normal. She wasn’t really cheery and bubbly anymore though and she didn’t ask me for homework anymore, but she wasn’t distant towards me so I had shrugged it off. It was nice that she decided to do her own work after all. Besides I hadn’t done anything to begin with so it would’ve been immature of her to be mad at me only for the reason of having Daehyun as company on that stupid party.

I hadn’t really met with Chaerin nor Jea – except for that time involving the borrowed book – because my life had been consisting of studies only. There was a test week and it had been taking its toll. Chaerin and Jea hadn’t noticed anything about a busy study month because they had been too caught up in Bang Yongguk to even care, which was stupid really. It wouldn’t surprise me if they had failed miserably. It was especially stupid of Jea, since she didn’t even have a crush on Yongguk. She just wanted to help Chaerin out. It resulted in them hanging out often. I didn’t mind, I had a lot on my mind anyway.

Also, my mother had joined this sort of bakery club. She would go every Tuesday and Thursday and she would meet with people of the neighborhood while baking in the community center. She had done it for two weeks now since she had nothing better to do but to wait for my father to come home. Since that could result in waiting until an hour of ten, she had decided to kill some time with other people. It was her way of feeling less lonely so I respected it, although I had a good laugh with Jea and Chaerin after I had announced that my mother joined this bakery club. It was funny because my mother had always detested social clubs, she made that very clear whenever we would sit at the table looking through the advertisement papers. She would scoff and say that those things were superficial because only housewives with nothing better to do would do that stuff. To be honest I never agreed with her. Look at her now.

‘’E-excuse me?’’ An elder lady interrupted my thoughts. I blinked a few times before realizing that I was supposed to work instead of daydreaming. She looked at me with red questioning puffy eyes before eyeing the product she wanted to pay for that lay on the counter between us. They were a tons of throat lozenges. She looked at me with her weak red eyes again and I felt a little bad that I hadn’t helped her sooner because of my stupid thoughts. She looked rather ill. That feeling was replaced with disgust when she suddenly sneezed which resulted in me being sprayed under her droplets since she was so close to me. She looked at me with wide eyes before grabbing a tissue and helping me remove it. She looked helpless and I felt a little bad for her.

‘’It is alright, it can happen,’’ I tried to reassure while using the tissue, she had handed, to clean myself up.

‘’I’m so sorry, so sorry,’’ she mumbled nervously. I only smiled. She quickly paid after that and was gone quickly. She must have been embarrassed. I chuckled when I realized how awkward that situation had been.

‘’Why are you laughing?’’ My father asked when returning from the stockroom while carrying a big box full of instant ramyun.

‘’No reason,’’ I answered while quickly making my way towards him.

‘’Help me with this, will you? After that you can go home. It’s quiet,’’ he said while handing me the big box. I just nodded and began to fill the racks with the instant ramyun. Sometimes a customer would walk in and I would help them to check out, after that I would start my original filling job again. It took me a little hour before I was done since my father would constantly walk in with another box. 

 

I was cycling on my way home when it started to rain, and not a little. It was like this big storm. I cursed while cycling harder so I would be home earlier. For once, I wasn’t happy to leave work earlier: if I would’ve been working right now I would’ve been dry at this very moment. The rain soaked me within minutes and I still had a long way to go. My jeans stuck on my legs and I felt miserable and cold. Even my gloves couldn’t protect my poor hands from freezing.

 

‘’My god! Aerin! You are soaked!’’ My mother stated the obvious once I got home. She looked worried and she had every right to, I felt like I was freezing to death. She helped me get out of my coat that was glued against my body. I shivered and only longed for my warm bed right now.

‘’Undress yourself and don’t forget to hang out your clothes otherwise they won’t dry. Go and take a warm shower, it will help,’’ my mother said before making her way towards the kitchen. It smelled like she had baked something once again. I did as I was told and strolled upstairs leaving a trail of water behind me. I hated rain for sure.

I felt a little better after the hot shower but somehow I still felt cold. I dressed myself in my sweatpants and woolen sweater that some relative had knitted for me years ago, before I slipped into bed. I wasn’t really tired however and so I just lay there before my mother came in. She was carrying a small tray with a hot cup of tea and a cheesecake next to it. My eyes widened at the sight and I immediately sat up, looking like a five year old. She chuckled before sitting down next to me, my damp hair.

‘’I’m not a kid, mom,’’ I said before taking a bite from the cheesecake. It was delicious.

‘’You will always be a kid to me,’’ she said with a smile. I guess that she was right, partly.

‘’You like it? I’ve baked it just for you,’’ she asked, her smile still plastered on her face.

‘’It’s delicious!’’ I exclaimed while digging in again.

She just chuckled and stood up. ‘’Good. There is more in the kitchen for later. It’s rather big so you can bring some for Chaerin and Jea too when you go to school Monday,’’ she said satisfied before she left. I drank my tea once it cooled down a little and ate the last bite of my cheesecake, I felt definitely better now. I grabbed my phone and was quite disappointed when I saw that I had no messages. Somehow I felt forgotten. Of course that didn’t really make sense. I spent the evening watching random things on television before falling asleep quite early.

 

I woke up with a throat as dry as a dessert the next morning. It hurt to swallow and I suddenly felt a desperate need for a cold glass of water. Or any liquid actually. To make matters worse my head felt so warm and heavy that it could melt off any moment, or at least that’s how I experienced it.

I got up to get myself the glass of water. My legs felt rather weak however so I had to walk slowly. When I got downstairs I was greeted with my mother. She was making this crossword puzzle before she noticed me.

‘’Aerin, you look hot are you alright?’’ She asked while walking towards me before resting her hand on my forehead. ‘’You are burning hot!’’ She looked at me with wide concerned eyes.

‘’I need a glass of water. My throat is sore,’’ I said hoarsely.

‘’Go back to bed, I’ll be there in a second.’’ She rushed me by giving me a light push. I weakly nodded before doing as she had told me to. I felt horrible and all I wanted was to ease this feeling in my sore throat.

It took some minutes before my mother had walked in. She carried a glass of water with ice in it and a thermometer. I took the glass immediately and gulped it down in one go. It was the most refreshing feeling somebody could possibly get.

‘’Let me measure your temperature,’’ she said before sticking the measure underneath my armpit.

‘’You definitely have a fever,’’ she concluded after looking at it. ‘’Are you alright?’’

‘’I’m fine,’’ I lied, trying not to worry her. ‘’I just need some rest.’’

‘’Alright,’’ she replied while my hair. ‘’Call for me whenever you need something, understand?’’

I only nodded before my mom had left me alone, alone with my thoughts that is. I felt so weak. That stupid storm had made me ill. I groaned in my pillow. Great, I had so much homework to do too. 

 

‘’Aerin? Aerin wake up you got to eat something.’’ I heard my mother say. I slowly opened my eyes, my sight was slightly blurry but it recovered itself again. I eyed the clock on my nightstand, it was already 6:23 PM! Had I slept that long? I hadn’t even noticed that I fell asleep, but I guess that’s the thing with falling asleep…

My mother had a cup of soup in her hand. ‘’Eat this, it will make you feel better. How is your throat?’’ She asked.

‘’Still miserable,’’ I mumbled while eating my soup. It had cooled down, which was great because I felt burning hot yet cold at the moment.

‘’Just rest okay? If you’re not better by tomorrow, we will go see a doctor.’’ She had said it sternly because she knew how I hated the doctor. It’s not like I actually hated the doctor itself, I just hated being there feeling and acting like this weak person. Rest could cure a lot and for that I didn’t need a doctor. I felt terrible though so I just gave in with a nod.

It was a boring day. I had felt so miserable that watching television couldn’t even cheer me up. I grabbed my phone that laid underneath my pillow when I realized I hadn’t touched that device the whole day. I guess it really proved that I was ill. I only had one message, it was on Facebook chat and I got really surprised when I saw who it was from: Jung Daehyun.

 

Jung Daehyun: Can I ask you something?

 

He had started. He send it a while ago - while I was asleep - so I had doubts about answering. I was curious though, what could he possibly want? I scoffed when I read his message for the third time, he couldn’t even properly greet me. I decided to reply, to see what he possibly would want.

 

Park Aerin: Hi to you too

 

He answered almost immediately.

 

Jung Daehyun: Hi, how are you?

Park Aerin: Good

 

I lied of course, I was feeling anything but good at the moment, but he wasn’t supposed to know that. He wouldn’t even care probably. I almost forgot to ask how he was doing so I quickly added that, it would be rude of me not to ask.

 

Park Aerin: You?

Jung Daehyun: Fine

Jung Daehyun: So can I ask you something?

Park Aerin: What is it?

Jung Daehyun: Where did you get your shirt from?

 

I eyed my attire, I was still wearing my woolen sweater. What shirt did he mean?

 

Park Aerin: ?

Jung Daehyun: That Naruto shirt you once wore

Jung Daehyun: That place where you bought it from, do they have more?

Park Aerin: I bought it online on Ebay actually, seller was from the UK

Park Aerin: They have more, I think..

Jung Daehyun: Oh

 

Oh was all he replied? Was he into anime too or something?

 

Park Aerin: Why?

Jung Daehyun: It's Jongup's birthday on the 6th of February

Jung Daehyun: I thought it would be a good gift

 

I looked at the date on my phone, Sunday January the 12th. He was rather early with thinking about gifts I thought while coughing my lungs out.

 

Park Aerin: You are rather early…

Jung Daehyun: I just wanted to talk to you too

 

My heart skipped a weird beat when he had said that and I almost felt like blushing for some reason. Geez, was I glad that he couldn’t see me.

 

Park Aerin: Why?

Jung Daehyun: You were distant that day at Himchan's

Jung Daehyun: I thought we were friends?

 

Friends? He had said we were friends that day on the balcony, sure, but I had never really agreed on that even though I had said that being friends would be cool. That had been before I got to know this other side to him. Besides he was playful popular handsome Jung Daehyun while I was simply Aerin. People like us don’t become friends over days especially not since he had been mean to me. I decided not to mention his comments though. He had been a little tipsy after all - which was no excuse - and I wouldn’t want him to think that I actually cared about what he had said, because I didn’t…

I didn’t know what to say. Luckily he beat me to it because he changed the subject to the shirt again.

 

Jung Daehyun: As a friend, could you help me to get a shirt for him?

Park Aerin: Why don't you order it yourself?

Park Aerin: Or search for another style in a shop

Jung Daehyun: I don't know how to

Jung Daehyun: And he really liked the style of the shirt you were wearing

Jung Daehyun: He kept talking about how good that shirt looked on you

 

What? What did he mean with: ‘it looked good on me’? No, why must I overthink everything? That was the question rather. My inner battle was disturbed by Daehyun’s fourth sentence.

 

Jung Daehyun: And I don’t have a credit card, don’t you need that to pay?

Park Aerin: You can use Paypal too?

Jung Daehyun: Nope I don't have and understand that

Jung Daehyun: How long does it take for it to come here in Seoul?

Park Aerin: Hmm... depends three weeks at most?

Jung Daehyun: So I'm right on time then

Park Aerin: So what do you want me to do?

 

I wondered what he was thinking. How can he not know how to buy things on the internet? Online shopping was the most convenient thing. It was the actual perk of the internet.

 

Jung Daehyun: How about you order it for me

Jung Daehyun:And I’ll give you the money tomorrow at school

Jung Daehyun: And I’ll pick it up when it arrives

Park Aerin: I can have it send to your address?

 

Does he not know anything about ordering something?

 

Jung Daehyun: No, I want to pick it up. There’s never anybody home anyway.

 

I decided to be nice though and do it for him, since he was obviously a newbie when it came to buying stuff online.I knew how to do it, it was easy once you knew. It was quite funny that I would just pay in advance for him without questioning if I would even get my money back at all. I guess I trusted him.

 

Park Aerin: Okay

Park Aerin: I’ll send you the options and prices when I’m actually strong enough to stand up and get my laptop okay?

 

I only noticed my sentence after I had send it. He must wonder what the hell I meant.

 

Jung Daehyun: What, why can’t you stand up?

Park Aerin: I don’t know, I’m ill and I feel weak

Jung Daehyun: So you lied when you said you were fine?

 

Yes I had lied, so what? It wasn’t a big deal at all. Who says they’re not fine while chatting anyway?

 

Park Aerin: Uhm… no not really

Jung Daehyun: You did…

Park Aerin: Alright I did, so what. What is it to you?

 

I noticed that I was holding in my breath when I saw the ‘’Is typing…’’ which meant he was about to say something.  Why did I even ask him this? He had two options now, saying something sweet and nice or something totally rude.

 

Jung Daehyun: It’s everything to me, babe

 

My eyes widened when I read that sentence and I felt hotter than I had with this fever of mine. He had obviously chosen the cheesy one and I hadn’t even considered that as an option. What was I supposed to say now? Was he serious, was he playing? The story about him and Yuna popped up in my mind all of a sudden and I couldn’t help but to think he was playing.

 

Park Aerin: …

Jung Daehyun: I’m kidding, can’t you take a joke?

 

I imagined him saying this, with that smirk on his face just like he had done a month ago.

 

Park Aerin: I’m going to take a nap, I’m tired

Park Aerin: I’ll send you that stuff later okay?

 

I had send, avoiding his question. I lied about taking a nap because I wasn’t planning on napping but I didn’t want to talk to him right now. He had the ability to confuse me and I wasn’t up for that right now. Especially not now.

 

Jung Daehyun: Alright thanks, nap tight

 

It was the last thing he had send. I decided not to reply since it wasn’t anything to really reply to. I threw my phone somewhere randomly before staring at the ceiling.

There was something really weird about Daehyun. He was so flirty and playful that I started to wonder if he were just playing games with me. What was he thinking? I had no clue. What I did know, however, is that almost every girl would have mistaking his behavior as interest. He had said his comments were jokes but there was truth to every joke right? Especially if you made the same joke often.

He had said things you normally wouldn’t say if you didn’t have the slightest interest in someone. Then I figured that this guy wasn’t any normal guy, it was Jung Daehyun and he could choose between tons of girls so this supposed interest in me couldn’t possibly be sincere. Who was I compared to all the girls that had crushes on Jung Daehyun? If he wasn’t serious about Choi Yuna how could he possibly be serious with someone else? It was pure logic, really.

A cough came up and I was once again reminded about my miserable state. Jung Daehyun had made me forgot it for a while. Which is why I started to wonder why I was thinking about this for so long. It didn’t make any sense. It wasn’t like myself at all, but I blamed it on my ill state.

Three hours later I had grabbed my laptop and searched for the seller I got my shirt from. I found him soon enough and had send the options and prices to Daehyun so he could make a choice. I had told him that he had to take shipping prices into consideration too, since he was - apparently - a dummy when it came to this. He chose a shirt and thanked me before I ordered it. I would let him know how the shipping was going. He didn’t engage a conversation with me after that.

I was tired, even though I hadn’t done anything at all today, not even my homework. Oh well… once shouldn’t hurt right? I thought before falling asleep.

 

‘’How are you feeling?’’ My mother sat on my bed. I had woken up with a headache, red eyes and my throat felt even worse than yesterday.

‘’Fine,’’ I coughed, ‘’I’m going to take a shower and head to school.’’ My voice was raspy and almost gone. My mother narrowed her eyes at me before she held me back and touched my forehead with her palm.

‘’You’re not fine Aerin, you are staying home and you are going to see a doctor,’’ she said sternly. I wondered how I was going to see a doctor, since she had work now.

‘’I’m getting your father, he’s going with you since I can’t come with you and I know you won’t go on your own. It’s final, you 18 year old baby.’’ She muttered the last part before walking out, calling for my dad.

 

Apparently I had the flu combined with a fever which wasn’t really that serious, fortunately, but it was inconvenient since I had to rest for some days and take some medicine. I wouldn’t have minded the rest if school would’ve been easy going and quiet, but I knew the duo assignment was coming up, so it wouldn’t be quiet. I had Soojin though. I figured she would pick me as her partner even though I wasn’t there. At least I wouldn’t have to worry about a partner.

I felt utterly bored though since I was home alone, rotting in my bed. My father had gone to work after he had accompanied me to the doctor. Everyone was at school so they wouldn’t be able to keep me occupied. Even the television couldn’t keep me amused. My phone buzzed suddenly and after eyeing the clock I knew it had to be either Jea or Chaerin since it was around break time. It was Jea.

 

Jea: Where are you?

Aerin: Not in school

Jea: Why not?

Aerin: I got the flu :’(

Aerin: I’m at home

Jea: Poor thing! Well you have a rest day now at least, right?

Aerin: Well yea but if it’s with the flu I rather be at school without it

Aerin: I feel hot and my throat hurts like hell

Aerin: I’m bored too and my mother isn’t coming home to pamper me until 7

Jea: She has the club today?

Aerin: No that’s tomorrow until nine or so, some time before my dad will come home

Jea: Awh, shall we visit then?

Aerin: No, I’m contagious Jea

Jea: Oh yea… right…

Jea: Btw, Daehyun was looking for you

Jea: Something about giving you something ^^

 

I rolled my eyes since I knew exactly how Jea would be looking right now.

 

Aerin: Oh alright, tell him he can give it to me tomorrow if you see him

Jea: Oh… alright, get well!

 

Fortunately she hadn’t asked further about Daehyun since I felt a headache coming up again and I wasn’t in the mood for her teasing at all. I felt rather lonely and helpless I thought while staring at the ceiling. I hated being ill, I hated being vulnerable I thought while drifting off to dreamland again.

 

All I did was sleep after all.