Moving Mountains

Beautiful Insecurities

Chapter 19 -Moving Mountains

 

 

Laughter. Hysterical laughter could be heard throughout the whole house once I entered. I kicked my shoes to the side, took off my coat and made my way towards the living room. I encountered my parents playing Go-Stop. My father looked a bit gloomy while my mother, on the other hand, kept laughing while pinching my father’s cheek in amusement, probably because she was beating him. They hadn’t even noticed me. That was until I spoke up.

‘’Dad, you’re home… and not sleeping,’’ I uttered dumbfounded as I was double-checking the time on my phone. It was 21:44 PM, which also meant that he was an hour too early. It was quite unusual.

I sat on the chair next to my dad as I dropped my bag on the ground – beside my chair. As I eyed the cards that lay on the table I concluded that I was right: my mother was definitely winning.

‘’I figured that I should see my family once in a while, but when I decide to come home early I find out that you’re not here,’’ he chuckled as he reorganized the cards in his hand.

‘’Yes, where were you Aerin? You could’ve texted. I’d appreciate it if you would do that next time,’’ My mom told me sternly.

Honestly I didn’t know why she was making a fuss. It wasn’t unusual for me to come home this late since I could’ve been at Chaerin’s or Jea’s. Usually she wouldn’t say anything about me coming home at this hour even if I hadn’t texted her about my whereabouts. She would always assume that I was with my friends anyway. But I figured she was acting strict because my father was here now.

‘’I was at a classmate’s house, we have an assignment we need to turn in very soon.’’

My mother looked up from her cards with an amused grin. Her strict demeanor had vanished within seconds. ‘’Jung Daehyun?’’ She asked somewhat hopeful.

God, how much she resembled Chaerin right now. She wasn’t wiggling her eyebrows, but it seemed like she was about to – just like Chaerin would. You would’ve thought that my mother would forget about Jung Daehyun, but apparently the guy had left an impression.

‘’Who is Jung Daehyun?’’ My father asked with a cocked brow, now laying his cards on the table.

‘’He’s not a classmate mom, he’s just a friend,’’ I tried to answer as casual as possible.

‘’Oh, I thought he said he was a classmate,’’ she responded, her tead tilted to the right.

‘’No, he never said that.’’

‘’Who is Jung Daehyun?‘’ My father repeated impatiently. He turned to look at my mother with confusion written all over his face. I was about to answer him when my mom beat me to it already.

‘’Our son in law,’’ she chuckled. Both me and my father’s eyes widened at her unusual response. I turned to look at my dad in a state of panic. He seemed quite confused and disappointed with this piece of false information.

‘’Aerin…’’ he began in a soft voice.

‘’It’s not true! Mom is joking,’’ I exclaimed in my defense. My father seemed serious despite my statement and I knew it was time for his lecture. A lecture I haven’t gotten in a long time due to his absence.

‘’I know that you’re at an age where boys seem to be the most important thing. But let me tell you, they aren’t. You should be focusing on the only thing that will bring assurance in your life and that’s your education, it needs full investment.’’ I sighed and was about to interrupt him, but he held up a finger at me, indicating that he wasn’t done yet, and continued: ‘’moreover, boys aren’t men yet and they will only cause drama for your tender heart. They are only after one thing after all. When you’re older and wiser you’ll understand and appreciate your father’s advice.’’  

‘’Dad it’s really not wha-‘’

‘’Oh please!’’ my mother meddled in, ‘’what were you doing while you were eighteen? If I remember correctly you were the flirt of our school! How would we have ended up together if I weren’t paying any attention to you: a boy! Don’t be so hypocrite and old-fashioned honey,’’ she chuckled while she collected all the card that lay on the table. The game was certainly over.

‘’Well… Those were different times! The younger generation has mobile phones with internet and they can hurt and humiliate you easily now a days!’’

‘’What does that have to do with boyfriends?’’ My mother countered with a raised brow. I watched the bicker between the two in amusement. Funny thing was: I didn’t even have a boyfriend.

‘’It has everything to do with so called boyfriends. What if some boy acts like he deeply cares for our little girl but takes advantage of her and spreads that over the internet!’’

‘’Dad I’m not that little any-‘’ I tried to come in-between.

‘’Nonsense. Aerin is old and wise enough to judge and handle those situations herself,’’ my mother interrupted me. It was like I wasn’t even here.

‘’You say that now, but young girls tend to be naïve. Don’t you see the news? Don’t you see how many girls get entangled in a mess because they give up everything for a boy, thinking that they're in love? A boy that saw everything as a game and wasn’t sincere at all. I know how males think and let me tell you, they think of only one thing. Especially when they’re at that age.’’

‘’Oh come on, those cases are about a few of the thousandths girls!’’ 

‘’It could be Aerin darling, it could be our Aerin,’’ my father responded while patting my shoulder. Their bicker was ridiculous, but sure entertaining as well.

‘’So what? Should she live like a nun?’’ my mother asked in astonishment once again.

‘’No, I’m not saying that,’’ my father turned to look at me, ‘’I just want to say, be careful with boys yeah? Nobody hurts my little girl, or they will get it.’’

‘’Uh, dad I don’t even have a boyfriend. Mom was just joking. As I said earlier,’’ I chuckled awkwardly.

‘’Oh… that’s good then,’’ he responded dryly with another pat, now on my head.

‘’Why is that good? You clearly haven’t seen the boy,’’ my mother stated in astonishment.

‘’Mom…’’ I called whiney in order to shut her up. This was going to be so awkward. Jung Daehyun always found a way to meddle in my life. Even at home.

‘’What do you mean? How do you know that boy?’’ My father now turned his full attention to my mother again. I groaned, there was no way I could stop this conversation.

‘’Yes, he was at our home and I met him. He happened to be a very nice, charming and good looking boy,’’ she beamed proudly. She acted if he were her actual son and it was ridiculous.

‘’Oh no, those are the worst,’’ my father muttered softly. Both my mother and I happened to catch his mutter though. I noticed my mother glaring at my father like he was insulting her rather than Daehyun.

My dad playfully looked away, avoiding my mom’s glare before he spoke up again: ‘’What’s that?’’ He asked while pointing to a package that lay on the couch. I was surprised he didn’t ask further about Daehyun. Questions like why he were in our home seemed quite appropriate and above all in place questions. Yet he didn’t ask further. Instead he had averted his attention to the package and I was relieved he did.

‘’Oh yes, Aerin it came for you. And you really need to stop ordering things from the web. It’s getting out of hand.’’ I rolled my eyes. It wasn’t even for me. I guess Daehyun’s package came earlier than expected.

‘’It’s not even for me,’’ I mumbled before making my way to the package and holding onto it. 

‘’Even making up excuses now. Those are symptoms of an addiction,’’ she teased. I thought I had said it soft enough to not be heard, but my mother proved to have sharp ears.

‘’It’s true though, it really isn’t for me.’’

‘’Who is it for then?’’ My father asked trying to get a good look of the package that I was holding. There was nothing to see though, it was wrapped in plastic.

‘’A friend,’’ I replied casually.

‘’What friend?’’ My mother asked, clearly amused again.

‘’Jung Daehyun, mom. Happy?’’ I said with a roll of the eyes before grabbing my bag and standing up, getting ready to head upstairs.

‘’Is he coming over again then?’’ She asked with sparkling eyes. It was like she was in love with him. What was up with everybody’s obsessions with Daehyun? All the girls in school, Yejin and even my mother now. I heard my father scoff and I joined in on him.

‘’I don’t know, maybe. I’m tired, I’m going to bed,’’ I said before climbing up the stairs. I heard my father ask what the matter with my mother was before their noises couldn’t be heard by me anymore.

I sighed. My parents were so weird I thought while throwing my bag and the package on my bed. I changed myself into my pajama and walked over to my bed again, fishing my phone out of my bag, before throwing the package in a random corner of my room. After that I walked towards my desk chair and hung my bag over it.

I figured that I was supposed to let Daehyun know that the package came earlier than expected. I was still a little doubtful about contacting him, but concluded that I shouldn’t be and so I opened KakaoTalk in order to contact him.

 

Aerin: Jongup’s T-shirt is here, it arrived earlier than expected

Aerin: Just so you know, since I promised I would tell you

 

There came no response and so - after waiting for fifteen minutes - I had scrolled through Facebook in boredom and anticipation of an answer. It was then that I noticed that Daehyun posted something on Facebook, just seconds ago. I assumed he posted it via his phone since Facebook Chat was indicating that he was online on his mobile. ’Moving Mountains’ I reread before scoffing. Moving Mountains? What was that supposed to mean and why was he not responding to me while he was most definitely on his phone posting a vague message on Facebook? Was he ignoring me?

 

After a little two hours his response finally came.

 

Daehyun: Hi to you too

 

Cheeky as ever. Usually I found his cheeky sight at least a little amusing. But now, with him ignoring me like he had done, I didn’t. The urge to ignore him back was very strong. After all he was the one who needed that shirt, not me. Then I figured that it would’ve been childish and above all unlike me to ignore him. So I did respond, though I was still a little bit sulky about those two hours.

 

Aerin: Hi…

Daehyun: :)

Daehyun: how r u

Aerin: I'm fine

Aerin: How are you?

 

I wasn’t really fine. Especially not with him, but he wasn’t supposed to know that of course. It actually sounded stupid thinking about it: ‘’I could be better, because you decided to ignore me for two hours.’’ See how ridiculous that sounded?

 

Daehyun: Fine

Daehyun: Can I pick it up tomorrow?

Daehyun: Unless you’re busy

Aerin: I can give it to you on Monday, during school?

Daehyun: So you're busy?

Aerin: No, why?

Daehyun: Since I can't pick it up

Aerin: Why would you want to pick it up so badly?

Daehyun: Where did I say I wanted to pick it up badly? :/

 

He had me there. I stared at my phone screen for a couple of seconds, contemplating what I should answer. He was right, he didn’t say he wanted to pick it up badly but he sure made it seem like he wanted to with the way he was, sort of, insisting. Or was I just overthinking things? Perhaps I hoped he wanted to pick it up badly. Why would I want that, though?

Somehow Daehyun was acting a bit off, I thought. It wasn’t something I could explain, but somehow he felt like that. Maybe it had been because of the use of that emotion, but to me he seemed sort of grumpy and it was starting to rub off on me too.

 

Aerin: Okay you know what, you can pick it up if you still want to

Aerin: You know where I live

Daehyun: I'll contact you tomorrow then

 

His comment didn’t need a response. I could’ve easily left it at his words. I didn’t want to though. I wanted to say something, even if it wouldn’t add anything. Maybe he would initiate a real conversation with me after I would have said something. Maybe he would tell me if there was something going on with him. Maybe he would return to his ‘old self’ and make me laugh with his funny remarks like he had done yesterday night. Maybe I just wanted to, really, talk to him. And so I did say something, though it wasn’t needed.

 

Aerin: Alright

 

And though it was understandable: I still felt disappointed when he didn’t say anything after that.

 

 

I woke up at the sound of my alarm, groaning as I searched underneath my pillow for my phone. Ready to put a stop to the, now, annoying device.  After moving my hands over the fitted sheets for some time I finally found it. I eyed its screen: Saturday 25th of January, 12:01 PM it read. It was this late already I thought while rubbing my eyes. I guess that that one night really had screwed with my sleeping rhythm and therefore I needed to catch up with those hours I had missed. I wondered why I had set my alarm, considering that it was a Saturday. I couldn't recall.

I swiped over the screen to see if I had any messages and to my - pitiful - disappointment I hadn’t. Not even from Daehyun who said he would contact me – today. Could he still be sleeping?

 

‘’You’re up late,’’ I heard my mother speak once I got down stairs. She was reading through a cookery book while she sat on the couch, not even bothering to look up. Her eyes were fixated on the book and her index finger trailed its pages, probably so she knew where she was reading exactly.

‘’Yes,’’ I answered sheepishly before looking around our house. It looked clean and organized which made me realize that my mother probably had been up early to tidy it up and to mop the floor since the floor was shining. ‘’Where is dad?’’ I asked when I noticed how quiet it had been.

‘’He is working of course. He’s always working, so why the question?’’ I didn’t know whether she was being bitter because of this ugly reality or if she actually meant what she said since it was a dumb question on my part. Of course my father would be working.

‘’I just thought with him coming home earlier yesterday… I thought that maybe, he was allowing himself to come home more often,’’ I shrugged before sitting down beside her. She finally looked up from her book before she lay the item on the coffee table and spoke up.

‘’He is planning to. He finally hired someone extra. He was full of praise about the said guy. He kept going on and on about how this guy is responsible and hardworking.’’ She rolled her eyes jokingly before chuckling to herself.

‘’Oh really?’’ I asked sincerely surprised. That would mean I got myself a new colleague too. A male colleague as it appeared.

‘’Yes. And now go upstairs and take a shower. It’s late already,’’ she hushed me feigning a disgusted expression. I did as she told and got upstairs to fresh myself up.

I entered my room and the first thing I did was to search for my phone. It buzzed the moment I took sight of it and I quickly made my way - if not, ran - over to check what the reason for its buzzing was. I had a message and it was from Daehyun.

 

Daehyun: Morning

Aerin: Afternoon

Daehyun: Right... hehe

Daehyun: Can I still come over to pick it up?

Aerin: Sure

Daehyun: Okay

Daehyun: I have to get ready then

Daehyun: I guess I’ll be there within an hour?

Aerin: Alright

 

An hour? That meant that I was about to get ready as quick as possible. I reread our conversation while taking off my pajama pants. He definitely sounded somewhat happier now, I thought before I made my way up to the shower.

 

I stood before my closet. Both my body and damp hair wrapped in a towel, contemplating what I should wear. Suddenly, nothing seemed good or nice-looking enough. I cursed while searching through my closet, throwing a bunch of unfitted clothes on my bed.  I was acting like I had a date. It wasn’t, not in the least. Daehyun would only come to my door, I would hand him his package and he would be gone. That is, if my mother wouldn't try to bud in and make a fool out of me as she would invite him in. She could surely do so.

Eventually I went for a black skinny jeans with a black shirt and a yellow knitted cardigan. The cardigan was a bit oversized but that was what I liked about it anyway. I wasn’t really comfortable in super tight clothing. It was the nicest cardigan I possessed and moreover it kept me warm considering the time of the year we were in. Also, Chaerin said that yellow looked nice on me. Then again, I don’t know why all of this was supposed to matter. It was a mystery why I was worrying over my wardrobe, I never really did that much.

 

My feet brought me downstairs again and I sat on the couch, with my phone in my hand, watching a bit of television. There lingered a nice smell in the house and I assumed that my mother was cooking something, something she had read about in the book she seemed so engrossed in an hour ago.

‘’What are you going to do today, all dressed up?’’ My mom asked while rubbing her wet hands on her apron when she came from the kitchen. She looked at me with a raised brow.

‘’I’m not dressed up Mom,’’ I answered curtly.

‘’Well you are dressed up considering that today is a Saturday. Usually you’re in your house clothing all day, watching those childish shows on your bed.’’ She was referring to me watching anime. Her comment made me sigh. Anime wasn’t childish. She was just acting close minded.

‘’Yea well,’’ I shrugged. My mom mimicked my shrug before making her way to the kitchen again. Minding her own business.

I was lounging on the couch for about fifteen minutes when my phone buzzed again. It was a message from him.

 

Daehyun: I’ll be there in fifteen minutes?

Aerin: Alright

 

Somehow there was always this urge for me to say something back to him. Even if it wasn’t needed. Somehow I wanted to respond to him and I noticed how it was often an unnecessary alright that would end our conversation.

I made my way to my room and kneeled into the corner to grab the shirt that was wrapped in the plastic. I eyed my bag too, but figured that it was unnecessary to bring that downstairs with me. After all, I wasn’t going anywhere. Though I hoped I actually would.

 

Once on the couch again I noticed how I kept eyeing my phone in hopes of a message. If he would say something along the likes of: Hey I’m in front of your door now it would surely prevent my mom from hearing the doorbell and becoming noisy. It would be much easier that way. Only I knew that he wasn’t going to do that. Why would he? He already told me that he was going to be here soon. I got startled when my phone buzzed. It wasn’t from Daehyun however, it was from Chaerin.

 

Chaerin: Heeeeeeeeeeeeeey I-don’t-care-to-contact-my-bestfriend-anymore

Chaerin: What are you doing today?

 

I was about to type a response when the doorbell rang and so I instantly forget about the message. I quickly grabbed the package and made my way to my front door. The person who rang that bell could only be one person after all. In the hallway I double-checked myself - especially my hair - in the mirror that hang there. Why I did that was another question.  

He looked good. It was the first thought that came across my mind once I took sight of him. His hair was styled up and he wore a denim jacket with leather sleeves. Underneath that he wore a black hoody. He wore it with black jeans and black Timberlands on his feet. His whole appearance and wardrobe flustered me for a bit. I recovered within a couple of seconds though and awkwardly handed Jongup’s present to him, without a word. Why was I being so awkward all of a sudden?

‘’Hi to you too Aerin. Have you lost your tongue?’’ He chuckled while properly adjusting his hood.

‘’Hi,’’ I only answered awkwardly. I didn’t know what to say or how to act even. How stupid was that?

There was a silence. An awkward silence. And I was contemplating to bid him goodbye in one quick breath before I would slam the door shut in order to end all my awkwardness. But I didn’t. I wanted him to ask me to go out with him, that’s why I had even cared to dress up right? That was why I had eyed my bag the way I had done. But now that he was here, and now that he could actually ask me, I was being awkward and distant. For some reason Daehyun had this effect on me. This effect that would make me question my whole self. He always left me conflicted and made me ask questions I could never find the logical answer to.

‘’Hey are you busy now?’’ He asked all of a sudden, disturbing my thoughts. He faintly smiled at me as he was putting the T-shirt in his backpack. I remained silent until he was done. His eyes were on me again and he was watching me intently, which made me self-conscious.

‘’Uh, I guess not,’’ I answered doubtfully. I didn’t want to sound too eager. Plus Chaerin had just asked me what I was about to do, so maybe she had planned something.

‘’Good. Let me repay you for this,’’ he said with a now sincere godlike smile while pointing at his backpack.

‘’How?’’ I asked. It was a stupid question on my part. I just had to say: Okay Daehyun that sounds nice. But instead I was being stiff and awkward – again.

‘’I don’t know. We’ll find out on our way.’’ It really seemed like he was trying to make some sort of an effort here and yet I couldn’t bring myself to just say yes and be spontaneous around him. When Daehyun was acting like a jerk I acted indifferent while he was actually hurting me a little. When Daehyun was being nice I acted uncomfortable. What was the matter with me?

I heard my mother call for me from the kitchen and that was the signal for me to be gone as quick as possible. After all, I didn’t want her to make this whole situation more awkward than it already was.

‘’Alright, let me go get my bag,’’ I said quickly before rushing upstairs with a stupid smile I couldn’t wipe off. I got my bag quick enough and eyed myself in the mirror for the last time. Downstairs I heard my mother call for me again.

‘’I’m going out, Mom. See you later bye,’’ I announced in a hurry while putting on my black Vans and after that my coat. I slammed the door loudly shut behind me – unintentionally. It made Daehyun frown.

‘’Is your mother home? I think I should’ve gre-‘’

‘’No that’s really fine. Let’s go?’’ I said before walking ahead of him. He wasn’t able to see my smiling face but somehow I could feel him stare at my back in confusion. I chose to ignore it though. He caught up with me at some point which resulted in me showing a neutral expression again. Daehyun wasn’t supposed to know that his invite had made me smile like that. It was stupid after all and besides it didn’t mean anything. Not to him. We were now walking beside each other. I didn’t know where we were going.

‘’Where are you going?’’ He asked with raised brows once I started to walk a little ahead of him again.

‘’Um, I don’t know. Where are we going?’’ I laughed dryly while turning my head towards him.

He playfully shook his head, giving me this sort of a: you-are-crazy-look. It made me realize that I should at least act like I wasn’t completely idiotic.

‘’We’re heading towards that car,’’ he pointed.

‘’You have a driver’s license?’’ I asked dumbfounded. Why would he travel by bus then?

‘’Obviously. You think I would bring a car without actually being permitted to drive in it? I wouldn’t put your life in danger like that.’’ I averted my gaze towards him instead of the car now. His last sentence actually sounded sweet and it made my heart flutter a bit. So I just smiled at him – now it was appropriate to do so.

Daehyun motioned for me to get in the car after he had unlocked it. It was a quite nice car I thought to myself when I took the liberty of observing the vehicle. It was not as nice as Jin’s though, but then again: Jin was a rich guy whereas Daehyun wasn’t. Or at least, I didn’t think he was. I assumed he was a little above average, maybe?

He sat himself behind the steering wheel before roaming the engine and driving off. I turned my head to have a good look at his side profile and admitted that it was quite y how he would concentrate on the road in front of him – to the point he wasn’t even noticing me looking his way. His brows were slightly furrowed and he kept moisten his lips. I couldn’t help but to stare. That was until I noticed that I was actually staring and turned my head to look in front of me again.

‘’So… why would you travel to school by bus when you have a car?’’ I asked slightly relaxed now. I should really learn to act natural around this guy. After all, that was when I was enjoying myself the best.

‘’I actually got my driver’s license around a week ago but-‘’’

‘’Really? Congratulations!’’ I interrupted him. It wasn’t my intention to interrupt him but I guess I just had to urge to say something in order for things not to become awkward again. Though my enthusiasm was awkward and made me seem a bit dorky.

He playfully shook his head, again, while laughing good-naturedly before he glanced over at me and uttered a thanks.

‘’Sorry I interrupted you,’’ I laughed sheepishly, ‘’what were you about to say?’’

‘’I was about to say that this car isn’t mine. So I still have to take the bus.’’

‘’Oh. Whose car is this then? You haven’t stolen it, have you?’’ I joked feigning a dramatic expression. 

He chuckled. ‘’It’s actually my brother’s and it’s a miracle he allowed me to drive in it.’’ Daehyun had a brother? I didn’t know that, though I knew very little about mysterious Jung Daehyun.

‘’I didn’t know you had a brother,’’ I muttered.

‘’Oh well. Yeah I have.’’ His expression turned a little darker and it reminded me of the way Jin had been looking the moment his brother had walked in yesterday. In Jin’s case, it seemed like there was some sort of bad blood between the siblings and I couldn’t help but to get that same feeling with Daehyun now too. Only I wasn’t supposed to assume things that easily. Maybe I had seen it wrong. Again, I knew very little. It was just a weird hunch.

There fell a silence and it got me a little nervous, to the point I started to play with my hair again. It was only then that I realized the situation we were in now and I - finally - wondered where this guy was taking me.

‘’Where are we going?’’ I asked.

‘’I thought about Serendipity. Are you cool with that?’’

‘’Sure,’’ I shrugged indifferently. It was only acting since I was a bit ecstatic about going there. With him.

 

It was then that I realized that I was cool with anything. As long as I got to be around him. And that’s when I realized that perhaps I liked Daehyun.

 

A little.