{Chapter Thirty-One}

No Boys Allowed!

Double update! If you have't read it already, go back and read the last chapter ^_^

Also, I'm sorry and most of you will hate me by the end of the chapter.

X x X x X

Youngjae woke with a start. He was hot, too hot for the current weather. His skin was slick with sweat, making the sheets stick to him. He was gasping for breath, feeling like he couldn’t get enough. Suddenly, there was a sharp pain in his stomach. He wanted to scream but his throat was too dry and no words came out. He roughly shook Daehyun awake.

“Daehyun?!” he croaked out desperately, shaking his boyfriend’s shoulder.

“Mmm, Youngjae, go back to sleep.” Daehyun mumbled, an arm coming to wrap around Youngjae.

“Dae, please! Something’s wrong!” he said, tears starting to fall. “It hurts!”

Daehyun’s eyes widened and he shot up.

“What?” he looked panicked down at his boyfriend who was sobbing, his face scrunching up in pain. Daehyun’s hands came to lightly rest on Youngjae’s stomach. Youngjae cried out and Daehyun removed his hands like he’d been burnt. “I’m sorry! I’m so sorry! Please tell me what’s wrong. What hurts baby?”

“E-Everything!” Youngjae responded through sobs and clenched teeth.

Daehyun jumped off the bed and tipped out the contents of his suitcase looking for a clean pair of pants. He slipped a pair on and called out to Youngjae’s mum.

“SUNHWA!” he went back to the bed, immediately wiping at Youngjae’s tears while holding back his own. It hurt him more than anything seeing Youngjae like this.

“Daehyun?” Sunhwa’s voice came from behind him and he turned to see her standing in the doorway. “It’s three in the morning, what are you doing?”

“I need you to call an ambulance or get a taxi, right now! Something’s wrong with Jae!” Daehyun all but screamed at her. He didn’t mean to, but he was finding it hard to stay calm when the boy he loves is in so much pain.

“Youngjae?” she gasped. “Is he okay?”

“He will be if we get him to a hospital soon! Go, hurry, please!” Daehyun urged. The scared woman nodded and left the room. Daehyun turned back to Youngjae. “I’m going to find you some clothes okay Jae?”

“D-Daehy-hyun, s-stay-” Youngjae sobbed, his hand quickly finding Daehyun’s.

“I’m not leaving the room okay?” he assured Youngjae, one hand running through his soft brown locks. “But I can’t have you going to the hospital – I’d get too possessive~”

Youngjae let out a broken laugh and nodded, letting Daehyun go. He returned to Jae’s side not even a minute later, pyjama pants and a shirt in hand. Gently, he sat Youngjae up and slipped the shirt over his head, helping him slide his arms through. He pulled the sheet back and pulled on the pyjama pants one leg at a time (thankful that he didn’t need to waste precious time cleaning Youngjae since they use condoms now). Daehyun pecked Youngjae’s lips softly, afraid he’d hurt him more but wanting to distract him, if only for a brief moment. He quickly threw on a shirt of his own and went back to Youngjae. He wrapped Youngjae’s arms around his neck and scooped him up, carrying him out of the room.

“An ambulance is on its way!” Sunhwa exclaimed, rushing over to the boys. “Honey are you okay?”

Youngjae nodded, despite still crying into his boyfriend’s chest.

“Come on baby, we’ll go wait outside. The ambulance will be here soon.” He whispered soothingly into Youngjae’s hair. The younger nodded again. Daehyun carried him into the elevator (where the elder was hit with a flood of memories, just like every other time he’d been in this elevator) and all the way outside where he continued to hold him and try to shield him from the cold weather.

Daehyun had never been more relieved than when he saw the ambulance pull up outside the hospital. He semi-reluctantly passed Youngjae to the paramedic. He watched as they strapped Youngjae onto the gurney with tears in his eyes. The paramedic told Sunhwa and Daehyun they could ride in the ambulance with Youngjae. Daehyun held Youngjae’s hand the whole ride, trying his best not to cry because he had to be the strong one right now.

Dr O’Connor was waiting when they got to the hospital. She quickly told Daehyun and Sunhwa that they needed to get Youngjae into surgery as the nurses prepped him. Daehyun found some sort of comfort knowing that someone they trusted would be performing the surgery.

Daehyun walked up to Youngjae, took his hand and kissed it more times than he could count. He wanted to kiss Youngjae’s lips one more time, just in case, but they were covered by an oxygen mask.

“I’ll be waiting right out here when your surgery is finished, okay baby?” Daehyun told him. Youngjae nodded weakly and Daehyun kissed his forehead before watching his boyfriend get wheeled away for surgery.

He paced around the waiting room, hoping and praying that the worst part was the waiting. Sunhwa was sitting on one of the chairs, trying to get hold of Youngjae’s father. Daehyun felt like he should text Himchan or Junhong, but right now his mind was on the boy being operated on and making sure he stays alive.

A nurse came into the waiting room, removing her surgical mask.

Are you the family of Yoo Youngjae?” she asked. Daehyun stopped pacing and Sunhwa jumped up.

We are,” Sunhwa said. “Is there any news?”

The nurse shuffled on her feet awkwardly. “There’s been a problem with Youngjae’s pregnancy. As far as we can tell, it’s due to malnutrition and the fact that his body isn’t ideal for childbirth. I'm sorry, but we need you to choose who to save.

Who to save?” Sunhwa repeated, shocked. “Youngjae or the baby, you mean?”

Youngjae.” Daehyun said firmly. “Save Youngjae.”

But Daehyun, Youngjae made me promise to save the baby if anything happened.”

I know,” Daehyun looked away from her. “He made me promise the same thing, but I’d rather he be mad at me for a while than lose him forever. I can’t go through that, Sunhwa.”

Daehyun-”

No. I'm his boyfriend. I'm the father of the baby. Save Youngjae.” He said to the nurse.

When Sunhwa didn’t protest, the nurse nodded and headed back to the OR.

X x X x X

When Youngjae woke, the first thing he noticed was a searing pain in his stomach. The second thing was that he couldn’t feel the baby moving. The third thing was Daehyun was nowhere in sight.

“Daehyun?” he called out in a panic. In less than a second, Daehyun was by his side.

“Here Jae-ah.” He said, passing Youngjae a glass of water with a straw. He held Youngjae as he slowly sat up. Youngjae swallowed the water in one go, passing Daehyun back the glass so that he could put it on the tray. “How are you feeling baby?”

“My stomach hurts.” He said.

“Here,” Daehyun passed him a small, grey plastic box with a button on it. “Press this whenever you feel like you need something for the pain.”

Youngjae immediately pressed the button.

“Did the surgery go well?” he asked, subconsciously placing a hand on his stomach.

“Jae, there was a problem.” Daehyun said, sitting by Youngjae’s bed and taking his hand.

“Is the baby okay?” he asked, a scared frown forming on his face.

“We needed to choose.” Daehyun continued, ignoring Youngjae.

“Dae, tell me the baby’s okay!” Youngjae snapped.

“They could only save one of you.” The elder continued, now looking away from Youngjae as he confessed his decision. Tears were falling from the eyes of both teens. “I know I made a promise to you, but Youngjae, you have to understand that I couldn’t let you die. I love our baby, but I love you more. I couldn’t lose you.”

“So…our baby is…” Youngjae let out a loud sob and a hand flew up to cover his face. “Or child is gone!”

“I’m sorry,” Daehyun muttered, finally looking up at his boyfriend. “I’m so sorry Youngjae!”

Youngjae’s whole body shook as he sobbed. Carefully, Daehyun scooted his chair closer and wrapped his arms around Youngjae, letting the younger cry into his shoulder.

Youngjae felt sick to his stomach. Part of him was devastated by the loss of their unborn child, but the other part – the part he was ashamed to admit existed – was relieved that they didn’t have to have a baby so young. He was so scared. He didn’t know how to raise a child, and he was afraid that this baby would pull them apart in the long run; what if Daehyun only stayed because he felt obligated to? Youngjae never told Daehyun about this part of him, but he didn’t know that Daehyun was feeling it too.

Dr O’Connor entered Youngjae’s hospital room. She felt responsible for the loss of their child, though she knew it wasn’t her fault and it couldn’t have been prevented.

Youngjae?” she said, breaking the boys apart. Youngjae wiped his eyes and flashed her a weak smile.

I assume you tried your best?” he said. He didn’t blame her either.

She nodded. There were tears in her eyes as she tried to smile at him, but she couldn’t stop the frown on her face. “I did, Youngjae. I tried everything, but I couldn’t save you both.”

It’s okay. I understand you did what you had to do.

There’s just one more matter I need to discuss with you; your female organs.

Youngjae frowned a little. “What about them?”

You have two choices; you can go back into surgery and I can remove them now, or you can choose to keep them. If you keep them, it will be possible for you to reproduce again.” She told him.

Youngjae thought for a second. He knew what he wanted, but he had to make sure it’s what Daehyun wanted as well; they were starting a life together, after all.

“What should I do, Daehyunnie?” Youngjae asked.

“Whatever you choose jagiya, I’ll stand by you.” Daehyun told him truthfully. If Youngjae decided he didn’t want them anymore and they couldn’t have any biological children together, he’d be okay with that. If Youngjae chose to keep them and they tried for more children in the future, although he’d be scared, he’d be fine with that too. It’s Youngjae’s body and Daehyun doesn’t want to influence his decision.

“I think…No, I know. I’d like to keep them. I want to have a child with you some day, Daehyun. This pregnancy was rough, but it was the first time and there was a lot going on. If you’re willing, I want a kid with you.” Youngjae told him.

Daehyun beamed and nodded. He pressed their lips together fleetingly. “There’s nothing more I want than to be have a family with you, Youngjae. You know that.”

Youngjae smiled and turned his attention back to Dr O’Connor.

I don’t want to remove them; we’d like to try for another child someday in the distant future.” He told her.

She nodded, smiling proudly. He’d come such a long way from the boy she’d first met. The one who called himself a freak because he was pregnant, and now he wants to do it again.

Well then, my job here is done.” She bowed. “The doctors here can take care of you until you can be released from hospital. I don’t know if I’ll see you again, Youngjae, but I hope that I do. Both of you.

Youngjae and Daehyun smiled, their eyes b with tears although this time for good reasons.

Oh, Dr O’Connor? I really hope that you find a way for other men to experience this. Good luck.

Thank you, Youngjae.” She said but stopped before leaving the room. “Oh, one last thing; I don’t know if it matters much now, but you were having a girl.”

The brunette lay back down on his bed, one hand still in Dae’s, the other resting on his stomach. Youngjae looked at Daehyun fondly. Even though Minji was gone, she would always be with them in their memories and in their hearts. It was Jung Minji that made their relationship as strong as it is today, and for that they would be forever grateful.

X x X x X

Not gonna lie, I cried so hard when I was writing this chapter.