{Chapter Twenty-Two}

No Boys Allowed!

Incoming call: Umma-nim

Youngjae’s phone continued to ring, but he just shoved it into his back pocket.

“Are you going to answer that?” Daehyun asked his boyfriend as they walked back to his house.

“No,” Youngjae said, taking Daehyun’s hand in his own. Youngjae swayed on his feet as he was hit with a sudden wave of nausea. “Aish, Dae I love you, but you are never cooking for us again.”

Daehyun went deep red. “I didn’t mean to give us food poisoning.”

It wasn’t until two days after Daehyun’s romantic picnic that the food poisoning kicked in. Youngjae woke with a start, a sharp pain in his head and a feeling of sludge in his stomach. His temperature was warmer than it should’ve been, and all he wanted to do was go back to sleep.

“Dae?” Youngjae called out, as the singer wasn’t in bed with him. There was a nearly inaudible groan from the bathroom.

“Yes-” there was a retching noise, and then “-Jae Jae?”

Youngjae’s stomach gave a loud rumble. He clutched a hand to his stomach.

“I don’t feel well.” He said sadly.

Daehyun entered from the bathroom looking as bad as Youngjae felt. His eyes were puffy, he was sweating and he smelled like a public toilet.

“I’m sorry, sweetie. Can I get you something?” he rubbed his head and sat on the bed beside Jae.

Youngjae groaned. “No, you’re sick too so you can’t even play doctor for me.”

Daehyun perked up immediately.

“I’m definitely not too sick to play doctor with you!” he responded, a little too eager.

“Well I'm too sick for your ual innuendo.”

Dae pouted. “Youngjae?”

“Neh?”

“Uh, I think I gave us food poisoning.”

Youngjae had never glared so hard.

“I’m still mad at them,”

Daehyun nodded, although he knew that no matter how angry Youngjae was at his parents, he still missed them; it’s just the kind of person Youngjae was. It was in his DNA to be kind and caring; it’s one of the things Daehyun loves most about him.

“But you must miss them,” Dae replied.

“I do, but they don’t accept me. How can I love people like that?” he said. It was a rhetorical question, but Daehyun still felt the need to reply.

“They’re your parents; maybe they had a good reason for not letting you date boys,”

“Are you really sticking up for the people that don’t want us to be together?” the shorter blonde asked incredulously.

“Well no, but I mean you have to talk to them some time, right?” Dae reasoned.

“I guess so,” Youngjae shrugged. “Or is this your way of politely asking me to leave your house? Because I will if you want me to,”

“Are you kidding me?” Daehyun wrapped an arm around Youngjae’s waist and pulled the younger into him. “Definitely not; especially if it means we can repeat what we did in the living room the other night when umma wasn’t home,” the erted elder said, nuzzling his nose into the crook of Youngjae’s neck and peppering his shoulder with light kisses and nibbles.

Youngjae went bright red at the memory.

“Yah! Jung Daehyun, you ert!” he slapped Daehyun’s shoulder, essentially pushing the elder away from him. “We agreed we wouldn’t talk about that again!”

Daehyun groaned. “But Jae Jae~! It was so hot!”

“No, that was a one-time thing!” Youngjae argued.

Daehyun pouted, but nodded anyway.

When they reached the elder’s house, they were greeted by a distressed looking Ye Jin.

“Umma, what’s wrong?” Daehyun asked.

“Why don’t you both sit down? I’ll get you some hot chocolate,” she suggested, gesturing to the dining table.

“Okay,” they agreed uneasily, but sat patiently at the table like she had requested.

They sat side by side, connected at the shoulders, knees, and hands that were resting connected on the table for all to see. One of the things the boys loved about being at Daehyun’s house was that they didn’t have to hide or downplay their relationship. At school, it wasn’t too bad, although PDA was frowned upon no matter what your ual orientation. In public, they had to keep their relationship on the down-low, as same- relationships of any kind were generally frowned upon in Korea. They went to Daehyun’s dad’s house (which he shares with his wife, Jongup's mum, and Jongup himself) and, well, Dae’s father accepts their relationship as long as he doesn’t have to see it.

Youngjae’s palms were starting to sweat as the nerves kicked in. He’d never seen Yejin so serious before, and honestly it scared him a bit. It must be something involving both of the boys if she asked to speak to Youngjae too, not just Daehyun. What if there was an accident? What if it was Daehyun’s appa? What if it was Youngjae’s own appa? What if it was his umma? Had his parents found him and c0me to take him home and lock him in a tower away from Daehyun?

Youngjae didn’t realise how hard he must’ve been thinking until Daehyun’s voice brought him back.

“Youngjae? Are you okay?”

“Yeah, Dae. I’m fine.” Youngjae assured him.

“Okay, here we are.” Yejin re-entered the room with two hot mugs of hot chocolate. She placed one in front of each boy and then took a seat on the other side of the table.

Trying to ease some of his tension, Youngjae blew away some of the steam and took a large mouthful of hot chocolate.

“Youngjae, your parents called today.” Yejin said.

Youngjae nearly forgot how to swallow and quickly gulped down the scalding liquid that burnt his throat as it went. Daehyun’s hand rubbed soothing circles on Youngjae’s back as the younger broke out into a fit of coughing and sputtering.

“Baby, you okay?” Dae asked, his eyes full of concern and searching Youngjae’s face for any signs of danger.

Youngjae nodded and pounded his fist against his chest a couple of times until the coughing died down.

“W-What did they say?”

“They asked if I had seen you this week,” she told him. Youngjae’s eyes widened; the way her arms were folded firmly across her chest told Youngjae she meant business. “Now while I’m fine with you staying here as long as you like, Youngjae, I was under the impression that your parents knew you were here.”

“Well, um…” Youngjae looked to Daehyun for support and bit his lower lip. “I mean they knew I wasn’t at home…”

Yejin sighed and pressed her fingertips to her forehead.

“Boys, I love you both, but you outright lied to me when I asked if Youngjae’s parents were okay with him staying here for a few nights. I'm sorry, but Youngjae, you have to go home tonight.”

What?” Daehyun exclaimed, jumping up from the table. “But umma! Youngjae hasn’t done anything wrong; it was my idea to lie! Please, he can’t go home yet.”

“Daehyun, please understand that I'm not trying to punish Youngjae for anything. Just put yourself in Youngjae’s parents’ shoes. What if you had children one day?”

Daehyun’s mind flashed to a future where he was the owner of a big music label, Youngjae was a scientific writer and they had two little rug-rats running around, a mini-Dae and a mini-Jae. Despite the situation they were in right now, Daehyun couldn’t stop the smile that crept up onto his face.

“What if you fought with one of your children, and then they just disappeared?”

Daehyun frowned. He’d be worried out of his mind.

“She’s has a point, Dae. I mean you were right before; I have to go home at some point.” Youngjae said.

Daehyun sighed and agreed sadly.

“I can take you, if you like.” Ye Jin offered.

“A-Actually, is it okay if I take him, umma?” Daehyun spoke up.

“I guess it’s Youngjae’s choice, really.”

While Youngjae appreciated Yejin’s help, and he was grateful for her to accept him, the decision was a no-brainer.

“Um, Ye Jin, I really appreciate everything you’ve done for me, but I think I’d like to go with Dae.”

“Of course!” she waved him off happily. “Just remember; if you’re going to have car , make sure the handbrake is on and the car is off!”

Youngjae hid his face in his hands, while Daehyun looked like he was contemplating his mother’s words.

“Actually that’s good advice; thanks umma!”

“Yah, Jung Daehyun!”

X x X x X

“Can I call you after?” Youngjae asked as he unbuckled his seat belt.

“Course you can, that’s not even a question.” The elder laid a hand on the back of Youngjae’s neck and pulled the blonde in for a kiss. Youngjae felt Daehyun’s tongue along his lower lip, a silent plead to deepen the kiss. In reply, Youngjae parted his lips ever so slightly, but it was enough for Daehyun to let his own warmth explore Youngjae’s mouth. Daehyun let out a groan and broke the kiss when Youngjae tugged on his hair.

“Are you positive you don’t want to have a quickie in the back seat?” Daehyun asked with the cutest puppy-dog face he could muster up.

Youngjae rolled his eyes and made a tsk sound. “You’re such a horn-dog.”

“You love it.” Daehyun said, followed by a peck to Youngjae’s jawline.

“I should get going.” Youngjae said, one hand moving to absent-mindedly clutch his unwell stomach.

“You should take some medicine for your stomach.” Daehyun said, noticing that Youngjae was still unwell.

“I will.” The younger promised.

“Okay,” Daehyun pecked Youngjae’s cheek fleetingly. “Goodbye baby.”

Youngjae waved to his boyfriend before getting out of the car and heading to the front door. Daehyun smiled to himself as he watched Youngjae leave.

Youngjae knocked on the door three even times. Fiddling with the hem of his shirt, he waited for someone to open it. Even though it was his house too, he hadn’t been there in nearly a week, so he felt more polite to knock first.

The door swung open and he was met with the worried face of his umma. Before he could utter a single word, he was pulled into a bone-crushing hug. He could hear his mother’s small whimpers and feel the small sobs racking her body. Part of him felt guilt for making her so worried, but another part of him, the worst part; the part he was most ashamed of, was happy she suffered just like he did.

She pulled away from him, and Youngjae could see his father standing inside the house.

“Where on earth have you been?” she stressed.

“With Daehyun.” Youngjae replied firmly.

His mother turned to look at his dad. He nodded and she took in a deep breath.

“Youngjae, why don’t you come inside? Your father and I would like to talk to you.” She said.

“About what?” he folded his arms across his chest in defence. He wasn’t about to have another argument about Daehyun.

“We think…we think it’s time you find out exactly why we have this rule for you.”

Feeling as though everything was about to make sense, Youngjae agreed.

They sat in the living room, his parents on one sofa, Youngjae on an armchair across from them. Although there was only a small coffee table between them, to Youngjae it felt like an ocean. This was it; the one thing he’s wanted to know for so long, he was about to find out. But was he ready for it?

No, he wasn’t.

It seemed that the more they told him, the less he wanted to know. This wasn’t how he imagined the conversation going; he and his mother in tears, his father looked down at his lap in shame. Youngjae couldn’t control his sobs as everything he thought he knew was turned inside out with just a few sentences.

They tried to explain themselves, to justify their choices, but Youngjae didn’t think there was anything they could do or say to make this situation better. It was too late; the choices he’d already made, he couldn’t take back now.

With tears running uncontrollably down his face, Youngjae ran upstairs and locked himself in his room, making sure to turn up the music so loud so that his parents couldn’t hear the gut-wrenching sobs that were wracking his body.

X x X x X

Dah dah daahhhhhh~ Youngjae knows, I know, you guys will know in the next chapter >.< The plot twist (that isn't a plot twist because I've had it planned from the start) will be revealed int he next chapter. That's when really starts to get real..