{Chapter Twenty-Seven}

No Boys Allowed!

“Don’t forget to take your pre-natal vitamins, Jae.” Sunhwa reminded her son as he slumped into the kitchen.

They’d been in America for close to a month now and Youngjae’s mood wasn’t improving. He’d been going to his appointments, but other than that he never left the hotel room.

“I won’t umma,” Youngjae said, taking the orange juice out of the mini-fridge and pouring himself a drink.

Sunhwa watched as her son took his vitamins and then retreated to his dark bedroom. Sunhwa sighed. She was tired of seeing her son so sad all the time. She knew that he was upset about Daehyun, but all this stress wasn’t good for the baby. Sunhwa was worried, what if he miscarried?

When Doctor O’Connor called Youngjae into her office, she called Sunhwa in too and that’s how the Yoos’ knew something was serious. Usually Youngjae would go in alone and Sunhwa would wait outside (despite not actually going in for the appointments, she’d be damned if she let Youngjae go alone. You never know when a boy might need his umma.)

Youngjae stood from the chair he was in and walked over to Dr O’Connor while Sun Hwa stayed seated.

Actually, Youngjae, do you mind if your mother joins us today?”

Confused, Youngjae nodded.

The doctor gestured for them to take a seat in her office. The Yoos’ sat across from her, waiting intently for her to speak.

Now, as you are both very well aware, it’s a one in a million chance for a male to fall pregnant. That being said, despite having female organs, the male body isn’t made for pregnancy.”

Yes, we know that,” Sunhwa said, growing impatient and uneasy. “Please cut to the chase, what are you telling us?

Dr O’Connor looked down, tidied her paperwork, and then cleared , looking up at them.

There is a very high chance that Youngjae could miscarry, the baby could be a stillbirth, the pregnancy and-or birth itself could cause irreversible damage to Youngjae’s other organs. Now, as your doctor I advise against continuing with this pregnancy as it can cause so much harm to you, but essentially it’s your body, your choice.

I’m keeping it.” Youngjae said without as much as a second thought.

Sure, having this baby was scary as all hell but he wasn’t going to kill it. This was something that he and Daehyun made together, Youngjae wasn’t about to throw that away.

But Youngjae-

No, umma. I'm keeping the baby and that’s that.

After that the subject was dropped, Youngjae clearly not wanting to talk about it. Dr O’Connor and Sunhwa discussed prenatal vitamins and other things to prevent problems and keep the baby healthy. Youngjae didn’t speak again until he and his mother were in the cab.

“Umma?” he said quietly.

“Neh?”

“If anything happens, I need you to promise me that you’ll save the baby, no matter what happens to me.”

Sunhwa sighed, she had to do something to help him, and she knew there was only one thing that could.

She knocked on the door to Youngjae’s room and poked her head inside.

“Youngjae sweetie?” she called to the lump hidden below a pile of blankets.

The lump moved, and a head poked out of the top. “Neh umma?”

“Do you mind if I use your phone to text your father? Mine is flat and the charger has just broken.”

Youngjae nodded.

“It’s on the dresser.” He told her and then pulled the covers back up over his head.

She crept in softly so not to disturb him and picked up his phone. She felt bad for lying to him, but it needed to be done and he sure as hell wasn’t going to do it! He might be mad at her for a little while, but Sunhwa knew it was for the best.

Once the message had sent, she deleted it from Youngjae’s phone and set it back down.

“I’m going out to the store to get a new charger, is there anything you wanted Jae?” she asked him, though she knew what the answer would be.

“No, umma.” He said, as she expected him to.

“Arasso, sweetie.” She said and left the room.

Grabbing her purse and her mobile phone, she left the hotel.

She walked down to a small café and ordered a coffee while she psyched herself up for what she needed to do.

I’m sorry, Youngjae.’ She thought as she dialled the number she had sent herself from Youngjae’s phone.

Ring-ring. Ring-ring. Ring-ring. Ring-ring. Ring-

Hello?”

Sunhwa frowned and gaped. Why was a woman answering his phone?

X x X x X

Jung Ye Jin liked to consider herself a nice person, a fair person. She liked to give people chances. With her, everyone had two chances. Mess up once, she was forgiving enough to put it past her. Mess up a second time, and she would lose all faith and trust in you. Daehyun’s father had to find that out the hard way after he had an affair, but in the end he and Yejin parted on friendly terms. This, however, would not be the case with a certain blonde teen.

Yoo Youngjae. Just the thought of his name made Yejin furious. That boy had worked his way into her son’s heart and soul and now that he’s gone Daehyun was nothing but a shell full of anger and mistrust. She could see how much Daehyun loved that boy, but all Youngjae did was break his heart. Ye Jin sighed as she sat at the table. Daehyun was so angry all the time. She didn’t know what to do about it, and it was all his fault. Yejin had witnessed many of Daehyun’s breakups before, but nothing had hit him quite as hard as this.

Frowning, she checked her watch. Daehyun should’ve been home nearly twenty minutes ago. She trusted her son, but she also knew he wasn’t in the best mindset lately. He’d been back-chatting teachers, picking fights at school, he’d even stopped hanging out with Yongguk. Yejin decided to call him and see where he was, but she could only roll her eyes as she found the phone sitting on the table.

“Aish, so forgetful.” She muttered to herself, hanging up the phone and slumping onto one of the bar stools. Not a second later, her son’s phone rang again making her jolt in her seat.

Don’t look. Don’t look. It’ll be an invasion of privacy; don’t look. But…what if it’s Youngjae?

Her curiosity got the better of her as she raced to the phone.

Incoming call: Unknown

“Huh?” she muttered to herself. She swiped across the screen and pressed the phone to her ear. “Hello?”

There was a heavy silence, and then; “Hello? I'm sorry I must have the wrong number, I thought this was Jung Daehyun’s phone.

Yejin frowned.

“It is; I am his mother.” She said sternly, hoping to scare off whatever schoolgirl Daehyun was using to get over Youngjae.

I see. My name is Sunhwa, I am the mother of Yoo Youngjae.

Yejin gaped. “I see. What business do you have calling my son?”

I want to talk to him on behalf of Youngjae, I know my son won’t do it himself.

Daehyun’s mother scoffed. “You listen here; I don’t care what you or your son have to say! That boy broke my son’s hear not just once but twice! I told Youngjae not to accept Daehyun back unless he was sure of his feelings and Youngjae assured me he loved him and he wasn’t going to leave and then he just runs off, leaving Daehyun with a voicemail saying that he’s disgusted? You’re crazy if you think I’m going to let you or your son hurt him again.”

I understand, but Yejin, please. There are things that you and Daehyun don’t know.

“Goodbye, Yoo Sunhwa.” The woman said and hung up, slamming the phone down on the bench.

“Hey umma,” Daehyun’s voice called as Yejin heard the front door open. “Have you seen my phone? I think I left it home today.”

“It’s here honey.” She replied. Daehyun took the phone from her and retreated to his room. He was gone before she got the chance to ask how his day was.

He flopped onto his bed and immediately brought up his call list just in case he had missed a call from Youngjae. As always, there was no call from Youngjae; although there was an answered call from an unknown number.

Did umma answer my phone?’ he thought with a frown. What if it was Youngjae? He pressed the green button to call the person back.

Hello? Yejin is this you again?”

The boy’s frown deepened. “No, this is Daehyun.”

Daehyun! It’s me; Sunhwa!

“Sunhwa? Why are you calling me?”

It’s about Youngjae…

“What? What about him?! Is he okay?!”

He’s fine, but Daehyun, there’s something you need to know…”

X x X x X

Dam Dam Daaaaaaaam~!