The Last Lie

The Last Lie
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Bom fidgets nervously in her seat as she waits for the official result from the good doctor who is currently in the back room and sighs uncomfortably. Of course she will be happy and feel blessed if she is carrying Jiyong's child in her. Because, apart from never admitted it out loud, that's what she always wanted. Jiyong and her child. She wants the future where they can grow old with the little version of them running around their usual quiet house. She wants the chance where she will spoil her child with the unconditional love and she will give anything, just anything, that her child would ever desire.

 

But things are not that simple and Bom knows it. Because in order to be able to feel that kind of happiness, she needs to let the darkness in her go first. She needs to cure her illness and pain first to be able to love their unborn child completely and absolutely. And that's what making her worry the most. She has seen how her secret is slowly changing her husband and in the end, she can sense that he's hurting too.

 

And Bom would rather die than to give that kind of pain to her baby. Their baby.

 

"Are you nervous?" A squeeze on her hand and the quiet voice of her husband bring her back to the present and she turns to give him a smile. His replying smile is warm and gentle but why is she sensing the uncertainness behind them? That makes her wonder if this is not what he wants. If the child is not in his life's plan and a frown automatically crawls up on her pale face with that thought.

 

Jiyong immediately notices the changes in her. "What's wrong, baby?" He whispers as he leans in closer to her.

 

"Jiyong?" She starts and lets out a heavy sigh.

 

"Hmm?"

 

"Do you want a baby with me?" There it is. The big question. She holds her breath for a few seconds and stares at his sharp eyes, so that she won't miss anything.

 

After a minute of silence, Jiyong finally responds as he lifts his other hand and runs his finger tip across her cheek softly. "Why would you ask me that, Bom?"

 

"I don't know" She shrugs a little bit and looks down at their joining hands. "Because you seem to be uncertain about this situation?"

 

"I'm not uncertain about this, Bom. I always knew what I want and I want you, Bom. You. You and this life. And I consider a baby is the most precious thing and gift you will ever give me. So of course I'm happy right now"

 

"Then, what's the actual problem?" She looks at him again and tries to understand him while he seems so deep in thought.

 

And when he finally looks straight into her eyes, she knows the reason even before he opens his mouth. But then, hasn't she always known that this time would come? The time that she eventually opens up her wounds for him to see the darkest part of her. The most painful time of her life. It's just that she didn't expect it to be this soon.

 

"I think it's time for us to talk, baby" He said softly and she can completely understand him. It's finally the time. "We need to take this step, Bom"

 

She nods.

 

"For us"

 

She nods again with a tear falling down.

 

"For our baby"

 

Another nod with another tear and she loves the way he said "our baby". It makes her fall in love with him even more. "For our future" She whispers.

 

# # # # # #

 

Autumn is already saying its goodbye as the winter is starting to make its merciless appearance and the left dying leaves of the surrounding are slowly falling down on the ground where they would be the use of the earth as soil again. The cold wind is blowing around aimlessly and dangerously.

 

Still, even though everyone would prefer to snuggle up in their comfort places in this kind of weather, a lone woman stands motionlessly in the graveyard as she stares down at a certain gravestone. A gravestone with a pretty lady picture on it. And most of the human beings in this world know who that girl is or who she was to be exact. But the woman in front of the gravestone knows better.

 

"I'm not going to come here anymore, Dara" After only god knows how long, Bom said quietly yet firmly with determination. Because she doesn't have any reason to be here anymore. She's been visiting this place every year just to vent out her angers and pains. But after today, there won't be a next time to let her past win over her beautiful future with her husband and their unborn baby.

 

She's not going to let that happen. Sure these scars won't disappear from her life completely because healing never means it's not going to hurt anymore. But even if it's the case, she's not going to come here anymore. She will try to find the solace in her life which is going to share with the ones she loves.

 

"This is the last time I will be here, talking to you" Then she places her hand flat on her stomach and spreads her fingers protectively. "We are going to have a baby soon" She whispers. "The doctor confirmed it today that Jiyong and me, we are going to have a baby" Then she gulps down the huge lump that is making its way in and blinks back the unshed tears. "I know that if the circumstances had changed and if we had a different version in our life, I know you would probably be happy for me....Because even if you completely forgot who you used to be, I didn't...I still remembered that little girl who used to follow me around...that little girl who had loved me once in her innocent mind"

 

"And insane as it seemed, I had loved you too, Dara" Even though she's trying to prevent it, the tears make their appearance and she gives up with a sigh. What's the point? Because this is going to be the last time she cries for these broken memories anyway. So she let them fall down freely. "Maybe I had loved you more than anything that's why it was hurting me like hell. Maybe that was why it was talking so long to heal. But, Dara. This is not fair for Jiyong. You weren’t fair to Jiyong and if I'm going to keep doing this thing, I'm not fair to him either. Among us, one should be the cure, don't you think? And even if both of us are poisons to him, let me be the weak one"

 

Then she wipes away all of her tears and takes a step back. "I love him so much, Dara. So much that the pain I'm causing towards him is also killing me too and this is not healthy for us. For our future. So... this is the real goodbye. This is the real last time and in the future, there won't be you in our life. There won't be the ugly memories you gave to me.... Because they are not worth to trade with the ones that I can have with my family"

 

And with the final look at the picture, she turns and walks away from the place. Park Bom is not coming back here this time.

 

# # #

 

Bom shrugs off her thick coat gently as soon as she steps inside the warmth of her house and glances around the quiet place. Her housekeeper and the maid might be already left since it's already passed 9. She wasn't supposed to be gone this long. After parting with Jiyong at the hospital, saying that she had somewhere important to go, he just gave her a knowing look and left. And she feels grateful for that. Because if he insisted to come along with her, she wouldn't probably go to Dara today. But he had understood her needs.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter