Same Book, Different Pages

The Last Lie
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Bom pulls the cardigan around her tighter as she huddles herself on the couch while trying to read the mail on the ipad that her legal team has just sent. Even though the days are starting to warm now, nights are still difficult to stay without extra clothes. A chill runs down her spine and she hugs herself tighter as she shrinks into the couch further. She should have just stayed inside instead of coming out here, to the patio. Bom thought.

 

But then, she really needs to read this mail through before giving the green light that her team is waiting for and she can't concentrate inside with all the people talking and kids running around. It would be rude of her to go up to her room too. So she just excused herself for a few minutes and came out to this cold place only with a thin cardigan and a pair of shorts.

 

"Can I stay here with you for a while, unnie?"

 

Bom looks up from the small screen to the voice and sees Jiyong's young cousin, the soon-to-be-bride standing near her with a quilt in her hands. Gong Minji or Minzy is a lovely and sweet girl with her red long hair that makes her fair skin paler. And it seems like she is Jiyong's favorite and closest cousin with the way they interact with each other.

 

"Sure" Bom replies with a smile and leans forward to put the device on the table after turning it off. She will just have to do it later then since she doesn't want to make the future bride sad with her rejection.

 

"Thanks, unnie" The girl said and sits down beside her before spreading the quilt on both of them. The warmth makes Bom wants to sigh in relief. "I just want some time away from them to keep up with the reality" Minzy murmurs.

 

"It doesn't hit you yet, huh?" Bom asks teasingly and immediately regrets it when the girl's lips turn down into a small frown. "Hey" She calls her softly and puts her arm around her shoulder awkwardly as a comforting gesture. Park Bom can challenge every business obstacle and fix them in a short time. But comforting someone is not something she's good at. It's not in her nature.

 

"I'm ok, unnie" Minzy assures her as she rests her head on her shoulder. "It's just....I'm a little scared. That's all"

 

"Scared?"

 

The girl nods. "I'm only 21 and I'm getting married. Sometimes, it makes me wonder if I'm rushing things too fast, you know"

 

"Ah" Bom breaths. "You're afraid that things won't work out?"

 

Minzy sighs and nods again. Her worry is visibly rolling out of her fame that makes Bom's heart clenches. A lump is making its way in as she remembers her own sister, Dara. The past with her deceased sister wasn't always painful. There were times she had protected her little angel and there were times that little girl used to follow her around like a cute puppy. She had loved her and even though it's as sick as impossible to believe, deep down she knows that there were times Dara had loved her too.

 

“You know what, Minzy?” She starts and is surprised with herself that her voice is so composed unlike what she’s really feeling at the moment. That makes her think if her whole existence has become only lie and pretense. But she pushes it away because this is not about her. “No one can know what’s going to be happened on next day, or not even in the next minute. Of course, things are going to change because time is moving, Minzy” She looks down at the girl then, straight into her wondering eyes.

 

“Good things are not going to happen every day, sweetheart. There will be days when you would feel like the whole world is turning against you, even your love ones. There will be times you want to throw everything away while shouting ‘screw you all’” Minzy smiles with her at that.

 

“And life is going to challenge you. A lot. It’s going to make you happy and cry in the next moment. It’s going to give you, show you many opportunities and hopes but you are not going to success every single time, girl. There will be times your dream is being crushed but….” She pauses and inhales while wondering her eyes to the further distance where the beautiful lawn is.

 

She suddenly feels so exposed because she’s baring her inner thoughts to this girl who she’s not really that close. “Don’t feel scared any of those things, Minzy” She continues. “Because spending your precious time on the things that aren’t even happened yet is just wasteful. You should be collecting your happy memories at the moment so that they can help you get through when those hurtful times finally come” Just like me.

 

“I saw the way he looked at you, Minzy. It was as if you are the reason of his existence” The girl blushes and it’s a lovely sight. “He obviously is in love with you. So don’t waste your sweet time with the future yet. Stay in the present and love him like there’s no tomorrow, ok?”

 

They stay in silence for a minute after that and it’s not awkward anymore. It’s a peaceful silence.

 

“Wow” Minzy finally said and her voice is amazed.

 

“I know” Bom mutters softly. “I’m surprised with myself right now too” Then they laugh together and it feels good.

 

“I didn’t know you are comforting type, unnie because you seemed intimidating”

 

“I didn’t know I’m comforting type too” She replies with a smile which is true. She is so used to being distant and cold to everyone because trusting someone deeply has destroyed her life completely. But even before that, she didn’t let everyone in. Not even her own parents because she was feeling so guilty for stealing someone’s opportunity and spotlight. And Dara had never failed to make her realized it too.

 

That’s why when she turns around to look back her childhood, her life was always quiet. There were no laughing and playing around with my parents or throwing tantrums as a child. There were only Soo Hyun and Chaerin and she was in peace with them around. But those were all before she met Jiyong. Kwon Jiyong has introduced her to dream, hope and beauty but he has also introduced her to the pain of loving someone you can’t be with too.     

 

"Unnie? What's wrong?" Minzy's startled voice brings her out from the distant memories of her childhood. Something is rolling down on her cheek and she touches her hand to it only to realize it's her own tear. "I'm so sorry, unnie" Minzy apologizes her quickly. "I didn't mean to upset you. Oh god, I swear I didn't mean to make you cry"

 

"It's ok" Bom said as she swallows hard. This girl doesn't need to know her mess. No one needs to know her baggage. "I'm just remembering something"

 

"Your wedding?" She jokingly asks. My wedding? Bom thought. To be honest, her wedding day is something she doesn't want to remember be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter