The woman he used to love

In Love with Kang Gary

Kang Gary and I were into our 8th month of dating and I can’t believe that I was sitting here, in the café, facing the woman he used to love, the woman that he has dated for 5 years, the woman who has come and go in their relationship.

Jong Kok Oppa and I were doing endorsement for a brand for sport shoes, and we were signing autographs at the xxx mall when this lady approached me with her autograph book and the pair of shoes she bought.

“Thank you for coming. What is your name?” I asked as I looked at her. She looked familiar. Oh, she was that lady who was sobbing, with Gary Oppa. Though I couldn’t see her face the last time, but that small frame, long hair in a pony tail, and the same light pink dress, yes, it was her.

“My name is Min Lee.” My expression must be blank that Jong Kok Oppa had to pull my sleeves.

“Oh, Min Lee. Thank you for showing your support. Wish you all the best.” I quickly signed the autograph and shook her hands. I felt a slip of paper passed into my hand. I quickly put it into the pocket of my skirt.

“Ji hyo. Are you ok? You seems to be in deep thoughts, or you are just blank?” Jong Kok Oppa teased me. We were done with the autographs session and were packing up in the Mall’s makeup room, ready to leave.

“Am not OK.” I replied. My answer must had surprised Jong Kok Oppa.

“Ji Hyo, what happened”. I show Jong Kok Oppa the slip of paper that Min Lee passed to me during the autograph session.

The slip said, “Pls see me at the xxx Café at xxx. I want to talk to you about Gary Oppa. Please, please do come and see me.”

“Ji Hyo, what happened to you? Is not like you. You are in the entertainment industry for so many years. Long enough to know that this is a prank. Just ignore it.”

“Oppa, is not a prank.” I started to tell Jong Kok Oppa on what I saw the other day at the car park lift lobby at Gary Oppa’s studio.

“Are you sure you did not see the wrong person? You did say that you can’t see the face clearly.” Jong Kok Oppa tried to steer me out of my deep thoughts.

“No, Oppa. I think is her. Regardless, am going to meet her. Please tell my manager unnie that I am going out with you for dinner. I don’t want her to know about this incident. You know, she is still against the fact that me and Gary Oppa is dating.” Yes, unnie is against it. She always feels that dating the CEO of the agency is one of the best choices that I had made in my life. When you are the CEO’s girlfriend, people just see you in a different light. I will always get better priority to things and decisions. I guess this is what we meant by the REAL world.

“OK, Oppa understand, Oppa will come with you.” Jong Kok Oppa’s kind gesture.

“Miss Song. Thank you for coming to see me. You are indeed very pretty. No wonder Gary Oppa likes you so much.” Min Lee took a seat opposite me in the Café while Jong Kok Oppa sat at another corner, 3 tables away from us. I had asked him to go and leave me at the Café. But he refused, he said perhaps I may need him. Well…..

“You knew about me?” I asked. I mean ya, she should know about me if she watches Korean TV. I feel like I had asked a stupid question.

“Yes, Gary Oppa often mentions about you. And how much he cares and likes you.” Min Lee smiles.

Always? You mean you always see Kang Gary and he would mention about me?

“er…Miss Min Lee. I apologise for my forwardness. Who are you and what is it that you want to from me.” I can’t hold it anymore.

“Miss Song Ji Hyo. I should have introduce myself earlier. My name is Kim Min Lee. I am Gary Oppa’s ex girlfriend. On and off, we had seen each other for 5 years. I left for Canada 3 yrs ago for my career, and I just came back 2 months ago. I have been meeting Gary Oppa. After seeing him, I think I will want to stay in Korea for good and the better.”

Gary Oppa’s ex girlfriend? The one which he had held on for 5 years? So does she wants from me? I stared blankly at Kim Min Lee.

“Miss Song. Let me get to my point. I am back and I would like Gary Oppa to come back to me. I know he has not forgotten me yet. It is true that he likes you a lot. But what is between me and Oppa is love. You can tell that from all those songs he wrote.” My head started to spin. She wants Gary Oppa back?

“Miss Song. You are pretty and has a successful career. You have lots of suitors who are rich and famous. Kim Jong Kok is one of them.” She looks at his direction and smile. “I can tell he cares for you. He has been looking at our direction, eyes glued on you the moment you sat down.” Kim Min Lee said.

“Miss Song. Gary Oppa is no doubt talented, but he is just a plain looking guy. You have suitors who are much better than him. Please let him go. I am sure he will accept me again if you are willing to leave him. Please.” Min Lee looked at me with tearful eyes.

As I listened to her, and many thoughts passed through my mind. She was back to Korea for 2 months already and she often met up with Gary Oppa. Oppa never mentions any of these to me. Oppa just likes me and not love me? All those love songs Oppa wrote were actually about her and for her? Yes I knew a few are for her. So? Their relationship was already history. My head started to spin again.

I took a slip of my iced Americano and tried to clear my thoughts. “Miss Kim. I got your point. Yes, Oppa is plain looking but to me his talent, his love and care for me overrides his looks. He loves me and so do I. Unless Oppa says he wants to breakup with me. Otherwise, I will not leave him.” I said in a determined voice.

“Miss Kim. Nice meeting you. I hope we will not meet again. And even if we meet again, our subject should be something else and not Gary Oppa. Good bye.” I put some money on the table for my glass of iced Americano and headed straight for the door.

“Miss Song. Please, please do consider what I said. Am confident that I will win him back and he still loves me. I don’t want you to get hurt. Please.” I can still hear Min Lee’s voice behind me.

Jong Kok Oppa came to me at the moment he saw me stood up from the chair and hold my hand while opening the door for me. We were starting to attract attention. I could hear people whispering about us and using their camera and handphones to flash at us. Jong Kok Oppa ignored the crowds and pulled me into his car and drove off.

, I cursed once I get into Jong Kok Oppa’s car. “Hey, Ji hyo. You should worry about what kind of headlines will be in tomorrow’s papers instead of cursing.”

“Sorry Oppa. I don’t mean to drag you into this.”

“Ji Hyo is ok. Oppa is just kidding. I can see that you have more things to worry besides the headlines. I will send you home. Pls take a good rest.”

“Thank you, Oppa.”

I never thought that the girl I saw at Gary Oppa's office was actually his ex girlfriend. Why didn't he tell me about it? Is he hiding something from me? Hey, Song Ji Hyo, how can you say that he is hiding something from you when you did not even asked him about the incident. But I am his girlfriend, why shouldn't he  tell me about it? Hey Song Ji Hyo, don't you trust him?

Sigh....all sorts of thoughts shot through my mind. I was confused.


Pictures of me and Jong Kok Oppa holding hands and walking out of the café were all over the social media by the time I reached home. But Kim Min Lee was no where found in these pictures. Well, this may be a good as I don’t wish to let Gary Oppa knows that I meet up with his ex girlfriend. I wanted him to tell me personally what happened instead of me confronting him.

At least, those headlines and stories cooked up by the Net citizens made me laugh and cheered me up.

Headlines : Kim Jong Kok and Song Ji Hyo caught holding hands at xx Café. Kang Gary got dumped? (I wasn’t even sitting together with Jong Kok Oppa throughout, and they said we were dating?)

Headlines : Triangle love affairs. Kim Jong Kok, Kang Gary and Song Ji Hyo.

Headlines : Monday couple vs Spartace.