Gary's story

In Love with Kang Gary

Kang Gary left Seoul for 3 full months. Besides flying from his studio in LA to Paris to visit Kim Min Lee once every 2 weeks, he spent the balance of his time finishing Leessang’s album and promoting his music in the USA.

Gary missed Ji Hyo terribly but he couldn’t bring himself to discuss with Ji Hyo on their relationship. Though he was no longer mad at Ji Hyo, he was still feeling guilty towards what happened to Min Lee. Most importantly, Min Lee’s mother had asked Gary to take care of her daughter.

To Gary, he respected Min Lee’s mother like his own. When Leessang first started doing their music, Mrs Kim had been giving them support in terms of financially and mentally. She always encourages Gary not to give up his dreams. There were times when Gary had no money left in his pocket to buy any food, Mrs Kim will cook up a feast for him to share with Gil. When Mrs Kim came to know about Gary broke off with Ji Hyo’s because of Min Lee, Mrs Kim had lectured her daughter personally. That was one of the reasons why Min Lee is willing to let go of Gary.

This time round, Mrs Kim had pleaded Gary to take care of Min Lee.

“Gary, Min Lee has no one else to turn to for help. But if you think my request is too much and is at the expense of your relationship with Miss Song Ji Hyo, I will accept No as an answer.” Mrs Lim talked to Gary with tears in her eyes.

How can Gary say no to someone who is as dear as his mother?

How can Gary explain this to Ji Hyo? Gary felt sandwiched. With the guilt conscious in him towards Min Lee and out of his gratitude to Mrs Kim, Gary left Seoul with Min Lee.

“If I am to tell this to Mong Ji face to face, she will definitely oppose to the idea. With her stubbornness and hard headed character, I am sure we end up in a fight.” That’s why Gary did not have a face to face discussion with Ji Hyo on the matter.

Gary was also concerned that Ji Hyo will be disturbed by the media when he was away. So he got his agency to release a press statement about his relationship with Ji Hyo, he hoped that addressing Ji Hyo as his friend will stop the media from pestering Ji Hyo.

After leaving Seoul for 2 weeks, Gary started to send emails to Ji Hyo to update her about Min Lee and himself.

“Ji Hyo, once Min Lee managed to find Mike and they had patched up, I will come back to Seoul for you. My Mong Ji, please wait for me.” Gary wrote in his email. Gary thought that Ji Hyo must had already read his emails since he had received confirm receipt replies from the mail server though Ji Hyo has never wrote a word to him.

“Maybe she is still mad at me for leaving without informing her. But at least she reads my emails. I will keep sending her the emails.”


Knowing RM is stepping into its last chapter, Gary has agreed flew back to Seoul for the filming. The week before the filming, Kim Min Lee finally gave birth to a girl. Though it was a premature birth, the baby is healthy. Min Lee’s husband, Mike finally showed up upon Min Lee’s delivery. It was then Gary realized that

Mike was always there looking out for Min Lee secretly, he was trying to buy time to persuade his family to accept Min Lee again.

“Mr Kang, I am really grateful that you took good care of Min Lee when I was not with her. Now, our baby has arrived, I think my family will be able to slowly accept Min Lee again.” Mike expressed his most sincerely thanks to Gary.

Gary was relieved that Min Lee and Mike had finally patched back.

“It is time for me and Ji Hyo to discuss about our future.” Gary thought he could make use of this trip back to Seoul to bring Ji Hyo back to his hometown to meet his parents. He also wanted Ji Hyo to bring him home to meet her parents.


Gary arrived early at the filming site of RM’s last chapter. He was roaming around, hoping to see Ji Hyo. But Ji Hyo was not there. When the RM crew shouted for fall in, he did not see Ji Hyo either .

“Maybe she will show up with the other female guests later at the opening.” Gary thought.

There was no Ji Hyo at the opening also. Gary can’t hold it in anymore, he asked the rest of the members and the RM crew where is Ji Hyo.

“This is the last chapter. Why Ji Hyo is not joining us.” Gary asked.

“Oh yes, I have an announcement to make to RM’s fans.” Jae Suk said. “This is a press statement from Ji Hyo’s agency. Ji Hyo had already left Seoul to pursue her dreams. She will be enriching herself by taking up courses in New York in Movie making and directing. Ji Hyo is sorry that she can’t make it for the last chapter of RM. She hopes to give her blessings to all the fans who had supported her and Running Man for the past 5 years.”

“What Ji Hyo left Seoul? She never mentioned anything to me about dreams in movie making and leaving Seoul.” Kang Gary tried to find out more from Jong Kok and Kwang Soon after the filming ends.

“The press statement says New York, go to New York and look for her.” Jong Kok said.

“Kang Gary, just leave Ji Hyo alone. The 2 of you were just friends. You left her for 3 full months. So what do you expect from Ji Hyo. You are such an irresponsible person, you promised her that you will not make her cry again but you failed. You are not fit to be her boyfriend. ” Jong Kok told Gary off in an angry tone.

“Yes, hyung. You are not even fit to be the father of the baby.” Kwang Soo chipped in.

“What? Kwang Soo, what did you say?” Gary’s heart raced and flipped upon hearing the word ‘baby’.

“Yah! Lee Kwang Soo, you and your big mouth!” Jong Kok shouted at Kwang Soon and pulled him out of the dressing room.

“Wait, Lee Kwang Soo, come back here, tell me what happened to Ji Hyo.” Gary shouted.


I was the Ace in Running Man and I am also a strong girl in reality. I settled down in Paris with the help of unnie and her sister. I started to take up lessons in movie making, I also showed my talent in fashion design and started to learn about the fashion industry from one of the Korean designers working for Louis Vuitton in France. Her name is Nicole Park.  I meet Nicole during the fashion week in Seoul 3 years ago. We had very similar thinking and taste on the fashion trends, and able to click off immediately and become good friends.

Sometimes I will think of Kang Gary, what is he doing now. Is his album well received in US? Did he miss me? Will he find out about our baby? I tried as much as possible to push these thoughts out of my mind and focus on my new life in Paris.


Gary tried to locate Ji Hyo in New York. He tried all channels to find Ji Hyo, the RM members, the staff from her agency, her friends who are not in the entertainment industry and he even try to contact Ji Hyo’s parents. He failed. Left with no choice, Gary visited Ji Hyo’s manager at her office.

“Kang Gary, what if Ji Hyo is pregnant with your baby? Ji Hyo does not need an irresponsible husband, her baby does not need an irresponsible father. Please leave before I get security to throw you out.”

Gary walked aimless on the streets. "Ji Hyo, where are you? Are you really pregnant with my baby?"

Gary ordered an ice Americano at a café. This is Ji Hyo’s favorite drink. He took out his mobile phone and started staring at those photos that he had taken with Ji Hyo when his phone beeps.

It was Gil. “What does he want from me this time.” Gary muttered to himself. Gary slides his phone, it was a photo, a photo of Ji Hyo. Ji Hyo was smiling brightly in the photo infront of a Café with a French name. She looked chubbier and it was obvious that Ji Hyo’s belly is bulging.

Gary quickly called Gil.

“Bro, who gave you the photo? You know where is Ji Hyo? How is she now? How is the baby now?” Gary’s voice was shaking.

“Gary ar…I saw this photo in Kwang Soo’s phone. I stole the phone from him, send this photo to my mobile and forward to you. Judging from the photo, I think Ji Hyo is in Paris instead of New York.” Gil said.

“Paris? I don’t care is Paris or New York. Song Ji Hyo, I will come for you.” After Gary finish promoting Leessang’s lastest album in US and Korea. He took 6 months off from his work and started his journey in search of Ji Hyo and their child.