Testing Waters 03

An Angel's Tear
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I drowned myself in a sea of your smiles.

"Nice to see you again Jiyoon!" Mr Ahn set aside the newspapers he was reading and removed his reading glasses upon seeing Jiyoon enter the office warily. It was located on the highest floor of the eight-storey building overlooking the soccer field. 


Jiyoon immediately bowed her head, "Good morning, Principal Ahn."


"Oh no," he shook his head, frowning. "Mr Ahn will do."


"Neh, Mr Ahn."


"Let's not waste time." Mr Ahn clapped his hands abruptly. Fishing into his pockets, he took out a bunch of keys and removed a single one with special embellishments carved on it. He smiled, handing it to Jiyoon. "First stop: your dorm."


Mr Ahn made small talks to Jiyoon about the school's rather short history of 20 years and compared to Jiyoon's old high school which had a 100 year old history, that was nothing. Her assigned class was 2-2 and Mr Ahn handed her a school map so she wouldn't be lost and wander about the school aimlessly the next day when she officially start school. They weaved through students who bowed politely to Mr Ahn and some boys even gave him high fives as if he was a celebrity. Jiyoon thought to herself that it was a nice school atmosphere and she got really lucky to have such a wonderful principal. 


A short five minutes walk away from the school main compounds were two tall buildings - Primrose and Treetop which were the school dorms. They arrived on the highest floor of Primrose and what came to view when the elevator doors open were two doors side by side.


"Am I rooming with someone?" Jiyoon thought. If every storey had only two dorms like that, she wondered how many students must stay together in a single dorm.


"Oh no, the rest of the dorms are occupied so I made special arrangements for you." Mr Ahn said, prompting her to open the door. "You're living by yourself if that's okay."


With trembling hands, Jiyoon fitted the key into the lock and twisted it slowly. The door opened with a click to reveal a large airy room. Jiyoon gasped, she liked- no she loved the dorm. The dorm had floor to ceiling windows which were non-existent in her old apartment with a natural oak wood flooring. She already got excited as her sight landed on a kitchen fully equipped with pots and pans, cutlery as well as a mini refrigerator, thinking that she could save some money by cooking.


Jiyoon was awed by the beautiful dorm and couldn't believe she was living in such a huge one alone. Not only did she had a bathroom with a bathtub and separate shower area, there was also a study room and a bed room. Her hands traced the edge of the Macbook on her study table wondering just how much the rent was. 


She gulped, shaking her head. Six months worth of rent at her old place wouldn't get her a place like this. Jiyoon plopped down on her queen sized bed and giggled to herself. This was literally the best day of her life!


"You like it?"


Hearing Mr Ahn's voice, Jiyoon quickly sat up straight. "I love it!"


"That's great," Mr Ahn smiled, relieved to hear that. "Before I forget, you are the only one apart from the people living next door who can access this floor."


Jiyoon was surprised when he passed her a black security card that she can swipe in the elevator to access her dorm. This school was so high-tech. "Is every storey the same?"


"It's just this floor." Mr Ahn shrugged, brushing her off. "Don't worry, it's not because of robbery cases or anything. We're very safe here."


"Ah..." 


He glanced at her wrist watch. It was already lunch time. "I have a meeting so I can't bring you around the school, perhaps you can find Xiumin? I guess he'll be at the soccer field. If you have any questions feel free to ask him, he'll be more than happy to answer them."


Just as he stepped out of the dorm, he spun around again. "Your uniform is in the wardrobe by the way, if it doesn't fit bring it to the admin office."


After seeing Mr Ahn out, Jiyoon immediately dashed for her wardrobe and fished out her school uniform excitedly. It was a long sleeved white collared shirt with a matching pleated black skirt. She faced the mirror, turning in all directions as she admired her school girl image from the long mirror beside her bed. They fit perfectly on her. Pinning her name tag on her uniform firmly, she raised an arm as if she was shaking hands with an imaginary friend.


"Hello, I'm Moon Jiyoon from Class 2-2!"


Lessons start at 8 in the morning and end at 2 in the afternoon where students were free to do whatever they wanted. Or at least that's what the admin staff told Jiyoon after shoving a stack of heavy textbooks into her arms. By noon, news of the new transferee spread far and wide across the campus and many students threw strange glances and whispered behind Jiyoon's back as they saw her wander down the corridors of the student block aimlessly. It was a huge news because the school never ever accepts transferees. Well there were exceptions of course which the students will never find out. 


Disregarding the huge fuss, Jiyoon continued to walk past classrooms after classrooms, watching students fooling around in class while some were scribbling hard on their notebooks. It was lunchbreak and Jiyoon didn't want to bother Xiumin again to bring her around the school so she decided to explore it herself with the map given by Mr Ahn. She sneakily peered into her own classroom and it was the same setting - a rectangular boxed classroom, a large whiteboard scribbled with unfamiliar math formulas, a student standing on the podium singing the latest pop song. Her eyes bul

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter