Queer as Folk 02

An Angel's Tear
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


Friends who fight with each other, are friends who can make up with each other.

If he knew beforehand that coming to EXO High was equivalent to waking up at 7 in the morning to ungodly screaming and a pillow dumped on his face the moment his eyes opened to receive the glorious sunlight, having his innocent sight destroyed by 9 uncouth wolves swallowing food down their esophagus with the exception of their dear school president and cook as well as having to share a single shower stall with 10 other dirty boys because they did not have enough bathroom for 12.


And doing housework.


Kris would have stayed in his 4,500 square feet villa back in Guangzhou, Tianhe with his 4 maids and 2 cooks, having a butler send him to and fro the most luxurious school in the city. But then again, Tao was here.


It went way back to when they were 7 and Tao's parents moved from Qingdao to Guangzhou because of their newly opened martial arts school, the second one in the entire nation but definitely not the last. It was a gut feeling. One glance at the feeble boy who looked as if he would break like a pair of chopsticks anytime soon, he knew he didn't like him. He was weak, and that was what Kris despised the most in the entire world.


"Mr and Mrs Huang." Kris nodded politely at the two adults.


"Aigoo..." Mrs Huang cooed, "Kris is a complete sweetheart. How I wish our Tao could be as matured as him."


"Tao, say hi. This is Kris and he's going to be our neighbour."


"Say hi." Mr Huang's loud voice boomed across the Wu's living room but terrified of the loud voice, Tao shrunk behind Mrs Huang, refusing to release his tight grasp on the hem of his mother's skirt. 


Kris rolled his eyes, with arms folded. He glanced at the clock, it was already 2pm in the afternoon and he certainly would not waste his precious play time on such a weird boy.


"I don't like him!" Tao shouted with tears in his eyes, refusing to look at Kris. The first impression Kris gave him was cold, and he hated people who are cold. His dad was fierce but he was a warm perosn with a strong sense of justice in his heart but this boy here didn't look like one. The scary looking monster half a head taller than he was looked as if he could kill with his dagger stares and just the thought of it sent shivers down Tao's spine. 


"Tch, says the crybaby?"


Back in those days, Tao was still a kid who'd wail and scream when Mr Wang's chubby son intentionally threw his soccer ball aiming at the weak Tao or refused to let him join their soccer competitions because Tao was weak. And lo and behold, look what he became, a dashing young man who could take down 10 men in an instant without breaking a sweat.  Tao was humming a tune under his breath as he laid still on his bed, staring at the white washed ceiling. Kris never understood why but it was a queer habit of his ever since they were kids and although he hated to admit, back in those days he'd always would wonder if Tao was reading some secret treasure maps on those white walls that he couldn't see. Despite their ironic first meeting, they became childhood playmates, then inseparable best friends so if Kris were to say he doesn't want to go to Korea with Tao-
 

No.


Kris would never refuse Tao.


It had been a few years they've settled in Korea, met these bunch of boys that he self-proclaimed hated because of their uncouth actions. Kris stretched himself and jumped out of bed, heading to the kitchen only to spot Chen sitting alone on the balcony swing.


"Yo."


"Ni hao~" Chen chirped in a weird Chinese accent that got Kris burst out laughing. He sunk into the swing beside Chen, giving a satisfied sigh. Seoul was cold at night and it was refreshing against the summer heat in the afternoons. The duo settled down into a comfortable silence, listening to the crickets chirp and the soft zooming of cars in the distance. 


"Still not doing the housework?" Kris blurted out of the blue.


"Of course!" Chen nodded his head as a matter-of-factly, "I was here first before you bunch of kids came rolling in like buffalos."


Kris scoffed, "It's your dad's, not yours anyways." If they had to go by ranking who arrived first, then Chen would definitely be the oldest since he lived almost all his life in this dorm, literally. Then right after him would be the rest of the kids followed by himself and Tao, Lay, Luhan and Kyungsoo who arrived last.


"Anyways how's Mr Ahn?"


"Good old man with strong bones. He won't break anytime." Chen dismissed Kris nonchalantly.


"Did I ever tell you that your name was cheesy?"


Ahn Chen.


The sun breaks through darkness giving light and hope to the world.
 

The first time he introduced himself to Kris, he actually thought he was a Chinese instead of their principal's only son if he had not seen Chen going to and fro the principal's office many times a week. But Chen only chuckled saying that his birth name was Kim Jongdae and he was adopted. 

 

"Your parents..." Kris was a blunt man but Chen was cool about it.
 

“They died when I was 5 or 6 that year, a typical car accident." Chen had stated without a hint of emotion on his face, it was as if he was reciting from a book. "I was sent to the orphanage and spent a good few months there before running away. I didn’t like it there. Especially Aunt Mary's weird broccoli soup.”


Chen lowered his voice into a whisper, "It tasted worse than Suho hyung's cooking."


“But I was stupid. It was a cold winter and I ran off without anything.”


Little Chen knocked on every door he saw but no one came to answer. It must be the winter that froze everyone’s hearts as well. He did not have any warm clothing on him and went to the last house in sight. Knocking, he expected no reply as well. From behind him, a shadow loomed.


“Look what we have here!” A cheerful voice boomed in the cold winter.


Little Chen turned around to see Mr Ahn holding a huge loaf of bread and grocery. He shuddered at the cold piercing wind blowing.


“I don’t want you to catch a cold so come on in quickly.” Mr Ahn opened the door and ushered Little Chen into the house. The entire house was filled with wood furniture and a warm fireplace was burning. Little Chen felt warmer instantly.


Mr Ahn shoved a warm cup of hot chocolate into Little Chen’s hands and sat down beside him.


“Where are your parents?”


“T-they… died..”


“Where do you live now?”


“Orphanage… Mr… Are you going to bring me back? I don’t like it there…”


“Kiddo, you wanna live with me?”

 

"It's a nice name okay!" Chen threw Kris a dirty look, offended by what he said. It was a gift by the man he looked up to most in this world and it was a beautiful name. -coughs-, yes there was no problem in being proud of his own name.


"I've always wondered, why dad would accept Kyungsoo, Luhan and Lay into the high school division a year ago as transfers when he has never done so, ever in his entire living." Chen spoke all of a sudden. Everyone knew EXO High is an elite's private school from middle up to high school. The high maintenance had the monthly school fees counted in thousands and he accepted the 3 of them in, for free. "He knew there would be an uproar from the shareholders as well as those filthy rich parents but he still did it."


"I was confused and demanded a reason but he only said that I'll understand soon enough a year ago." he continued, "But I didn't, even a year later." 


"And then the same thing repeated with Jiyoon." he instinctively glanced into the living room where Jiyoon was playing card games with Chanyeol and Baekhyun. 


"Yah Park Chanyeol! Are you playing cheat now huh?" Jiyoon gritted her teeth, "And you Byun Baekhyun! I saw that!"


"Tch, it's oppa for you! Oppa!"


"Justice! I need justice!" Jiyoon screamed, "Kyungsoo oppa! Chanyeol's playing ch-"


"Arraso, arraso," Chanyeol and Baekhyun both shouted, muffling Jiyoon's calls. They both eyed each other, gulping at the thought of Kyungsoo interfering, they didn't want to be strangled to death or chased with a kitchen knife by that boy. "We'll play fair."


"But I think I understand now."
 

Just like himself, Kris or anyone living on this floor, everyone had a story to be told. Maybe just like the boys who first arrived a few years ago, looking all beatened up with hate in their eyes Jiyoon had her past that was not mentioned yet. It was an instinct that behind those beautiful lips curved upwards all the time, there were scars.


They were here for a reason.


To heal.


Chen let out a deep sigh, the dark sky was dull and starless, the school looking dead and lifeless. Was it such a school that Mrs Ahn had wanted it to be? Filled with nothing but rich kids with money but nowhere to spend on? Without principles and virtues, parents thinking that money and status is everything? Maybe things have been stagnant for such a long time that change, might be good and something welcomed.
 

"Chen-" Kris paused, looking at him who was lost in his own thoughts. Although absolutely annoying with his high-pitched notes that acted as Kris's alarm clock in the morning, he was a pretty warm boy that Kris liked to be around. And the striking resemblance between Mr Ahn and Chen made Kris feel warmer, knowing that people as kind as them still existed in this world.


"Have I ever told you that you do actually live up to your name?"

 


 

“Eat slowly Jiyoon, you’ll choke.” Kyungsoo placed his favorite egg roll into Jiyoon's bowl which she gobbled down in less than a few seconds.
 

“You’re becoming more and more like Chanyeol.” Tao added the spinach she love into her bowl.


“You got a problem?" Chanyeol shot at Tao angrily. "What’s wrong with being like me huh?”


“Pig.” Sehun mused.


“I’m not." Jiyoon pointed her chopsticks at Sehun. "It’s called an appreciation of Kyungsoo oppa's cooking, right?”


She turned to Kyungsoo who only smiled gently.
 

“Excuses.” Sehun mouthed and Jiyoon seriously contemplated throwing an egg roll at his annoying face.


It was the way she interacted with Sehun. They'd argue in class, fight in the dorm because neither of them liked each other. Or at least appeared to be. Being the way they were right now was his way of expressing that he accepted her as a friend, though Sehun would always deny and call her annoying. Still, whenever he found Jiyoon distracted in class, he would tap his ball pen on her table, asking her to focus. The girls in Jiyoon's class weren’t very nice to her as well and she clearly remembered once when a group of gossiping girls said that she was ugly. Sehun who returned to the classroom from the five minutes break caught that and walked past them.
 


"Yeah she's ugly but she doesn't look half as bad as you do. You prolly need to fix your entire face." Sehun casually threw a comment as he returned to his seat.


"Y-you you!' the girl seethed in anger but Sehun only shrugged.


"There's not much difference anyway, you'll still be as fake."


"Yah why did you do that for?" Jiyoon hissed, not wanting to attract any more attention than she was already receiving. 


"Stating the fact that you are ugly, duh."


“Have you guys packed for the school trip yet?” Suho asked, taking the silence as a no, this time round his voice hinted a slight annoyance. "The trip is in 3 days and no one's packed yet?" 
 

“I did.” Jiyoon raised a fist, trying to lighten up the atmosphere.


“All of you should learn from Jiyoon.”


“She’s a girl, it’s different." Xiumin made a face. Having Jiyoon around was a good, and a bad thing. The good thing was they had someone new to play with and he had people to go on ice-cream dates when the boys refused him. But the bad part was like right now when Suho's endless nags brought Jiyoon into the picture. Be more like Jiyoon. Look at how hard she studies, can you at least put in half the effort? Are you even using your brain? Jiyoon is better than you!


"Don’t compare us.”


“That doesn’t make you any less human than she is. Pack up after dinner. I’ll check on all of you.” Suho instructed. Groans can be heard everywhere but no one dared to oppose the tyrant.


“You'll need warm clothing, it’ll be cold at night. And a huge bottle if possible. Some insect repel- Mhm-“


Kris shushed Suho before he could complete his sentence with a piece of chicken drumlet. The delicious meal shouldn't be interrupted with endless naggings. "Old man, let us enjoy this meal in peace okay? You can do the nagging later-” 


"Old man?! You're ev-"


The loud screeching of the heavy dining chair interrupted Suho and everyone turned into the direction of Lay who abruptly stood up with a bowl in his hand.


"I'm done eating," he muttered with a weak smile. His shaking hand was tightened into a ball at his sides and the grip on his white porcelain bowl tightened as he turned his back against the boys.


"I'll go pack now."

 

Jiyoon brushed her teeth and dragged her duffel bag into the boy's dorm making small shuffling noise against the marble flooring. The sun isn't up yet and no one was awake, not even Kyungsoo who was usually up early. She rolled up her sleeves and was determined to work. Growing accustomed to working in the kitchen with Kyungsoo sharpened her culinary skills. He even approved of Jiyoon's usage of the kitchen recently.


The first and the only one whom he felt was safe enough not to damage his beloved kitchen.


“Tomato eggs, strawberries and watermelon… tuna onigiri and the chicken they love” Jiyoon set the last food item into the bento for Tao, “Perfect!”


Laid out neatly on the table was thirteen colorful bento boxes ready to be eaten.


“Now, breakfast.” Jiyoon pumped a fist into the air, “Pancakes!”


She had the mixture ready and was making the second piece of pancake when she heard the shuffling of footsteps behind her.


“Morning Jiyoon, you’re early.” Luhan rubbed his eyes, half squinting. He was jolted awake when he saw the red bento boxes stacked atop of one another in full glory.


“What time did you wake up to make these?!” he asked in awe, sniffing the air, “And it smells like blueberries here.”


Jiyoon giggled at his cute morning behavior, “It’s the pancakes you love.”


She flipped the pancake over revealing a perfect golden brown.


“Let me help you,” he reached over to grab the wooden turner only to have Jiyoon smack his hand away.


“Kyungsoo oppa won’t be happy. Go wash up first."
 

Luhan pouted unhappily but obeyed her instructions.


“Of course I wouldn’t be happy. He nearly burnt down my kitchen last summer trying to make ramyeon for supper.” a voice breathed into Jiyoon's ear and she spun around to find Kyungsoo behind her.


“Oppa!” 


“It smells really good!” he cooed, peering over to look what she was making.


Slicing a piece of pancake, she popped it into his mouth. “How does it taste? Weird?”


Kyungsoo chewed and thought hard. Jiyoon gulped, afraid that it didn’t turn out nice. Finally, he swallowed it and gave a thumb up.


“I’m jealous, it’s even better than mine already.”


“How can that be." Jiyoon shook her head laughing, "Your cooking will always be the best.”


“I’ll do the rest of the work,” he took the wooden turner from Jiyoon, “Go wake the boys.”


“Yes Sir!”


“Wake up Chanyeol oppa, Baekhyun oppa!” Jiyoon chirped heartily, pulling the blinders up. The sunshine hit their faces to their agony and Chanyeol groaned, pulling up his blankets while Baekhyun did not budge.


“Why do you have to do this to us in the early morning, Jiyoon ah….” Chanyeol yawned, half awake.


“Because it’s the day of the trip! Wakey wakey~” Jiyoon tugged Chanyeol’s blankets, giving no mercy. “No breakfast for you if you don’t wake up. It’s your favorite blueberry pancakes.” she teased, knowing his weakness was food.


“Pancakes?”


Before Jiyoon could answer him, Chanyeol was already out of sight, leaving an unmade bed for Jiyoon.


“Baekhyun oppa…”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter