Testing Waters 02

An Angel's Tear
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

If I talk about it I'll cry.
So it's a secret.

 


Jiyoon couldn't remember when was the last time she was this excited for something. Her eyes lingered on her box of belongings. There was nothing much in them except a few important documents, her passport, identity card, diary, some stationary and her bank book as well as a tiny emergency kit. She picked up her sole family photograph with her late mom who passed away when she was 13. her mom was smiling brightly in the photograph, arms wrapped around Jiyoon's waist protectively. Her dad gave her mom a sweet peck on the forehead, a warm gaze falling on his beloved wife and child. They were-


A happy family.


She shook her head, dismissing the thoughts and shoved the photograph into the box, closing the lid. Jiyoon took a last look at the small apartment which housed her for the past year. Her lips curved into a smile.


"I won't miss you."


He was late, Jiyoon eyed at her watch and groaned innerly. She was sure Mr Ahn said that they were supposed to meet at 7 in the morning and the thing was she didn't know who the he she was supposed to be meeting. 
 


"Someone will bring you to school." Mr Ahn said over the phone.


Thinking that there was nothing to lose, she leaned back against the wall, watching a few citizens on their way to work and students hurrying to school. 


"Monday blues, I hate school." A male student yawned, dragging his feet on the pavement.


"I know right," the boy next to him groaned, "I can't wait for Friday."


"Tch," Jiyoon scoffed thinking about how ungrateful these kids were and she mentally smacked them on their heads. If they knew her agony then they wouldn't be treating education like it was a burden.


"Hey." Someone tapped her on the shoulder and Jiyoon stood up straight, turning around to face a boy with two buns in his hands.


"Moon Jiyoon?" He grinned.


He was nothing like what Jiyoon had expected, thinking that Mr Ahn would probably assign an admin staff to bring her to school instead of a student. And speaking of the student, Jiyoon eyed him subtly. He looked like a middle school kid instead of one in high school if he wasn't taller than her. His face was slightly chubby and his messy hair dyed a light brown. His uniform was not tucked in properly and his school tie not straightened, making Jiyoon wonder if he just woke up and ran here.
 

"I'm sorry I just woke up." As if reading her thoughts, the boy flattened his bed hair, the buns making contact with it and Jiyoon flinched in disgust. He gave a cute smile and nudged one bun into Jiyoon's palm. "I bought this on my way here."


"No thank-"


"It's delicious!" he shoved the bun into her hands and without another word, snatched the box Jiyoon was hugging.


"Oh," the boy spun around. "I'm Kim Minseok by the way."


Jiyoon bowed politely, "I'm Moon Jiyoon." 


Biting her lower lips, she blurted out in curiousity. "The school allows dyed hair?"


"You mean this?" he pointed at his brown head. "Yeah, why not?"


"Enough talk, shall we head to your new school now?" Minseok wriggled his eyebrows and tilted his head in the direction of the school. Jiyoon followed after him, still hesitating to eat the bun in her hands. But her stomach was growling because she hadn't eaten breakfast and she was starving.


After a not so tough mental debate with herself, Jiyoon took a bite into the bun she was holding. The taste registered on her tongue was nothing like what she imagined. Hot tears brimmed in her eyes and her nose felt exceptionally tingly. She spat out the bun to see that the filling was mixed with a greenish substance.


"Wasabi?" she shrieked, recognising the monster she hated. 


Minseok turned around to see the half-eaten bun and the pieces begin to fit in his head. He started to laugh hysterically, clenching his stomach. He didn't expect it to be this successful.


"A-april's foo-ol!" his breaths were deep and he tried to stifle a laughter but upon seeing Jiyoon's flushed face, he burst out laughing again.


"You!" Jiyoon threw him a dirty look and restrained herself from tackling him onto the ground. Who knows if he knew martial arts and attacked her before she could get her revenge.


Minseok grinned at Jiyoon cheekily and she rolled her eyes, "Do kids at your school love these kind of stuff?"


"No," he shook his head, pouting. The kids at his school were the most boring type of people he has ever seen, their lifes revolving around studies, and basically studies. "Guess it's just me. Isn't it fun?"


"No," she wrinkled her nose in disgust, the wasabi taste lingering on her tongue. "I hate wasabi."


Feeling slightly guilty for playing such a joke on their first meeting, Minseok took the other bun meant for himself, shoving it into Jiyoon's hands. "Red bean filling."


Seeing that Jiyoon was reluctant to receive the bun, he continued. "No more tricks I swear."


It was an early morning and the streets were empty with shops still closed for business. Birds chirped on the cherry blossom trees lining the streets neatly and a gentle spring breeze blew, pink petals falling gently onto the pavement creating a bed of cherry blossom. Jiyoon didn't know Seoul could be this beautiful or rather, it has been such a long time she paused to take a look at the very city she lived in for over a decade. Minseok glanced at Jiyoon in a subtle manner. Unlike girls she knew for his entire life who put on killer heels and luxurious dresses accessorized with a branded bag, this girl here was different.


She had straight jet-black hair that reached past her chest and only put on a simple white tee and denim jeans, paired with a maroon red sneakers. The said girl was barefaced and did not even dab on any foundation. Noticing that Minseok staring at her, she caught his eyes and he turned around, embarrassed. It felt awkward for him because more often than not it was the girls who initiated conversations with him, not the other

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter