Chapter 5 Part 1

My Ten Letters To You

 

It was the day of the homecoming party. Almost everyone was ready for the event, except for Key. He felt the need to rest from all the stress he’s been receiving from his class and his emotions. He never sees Jonghyun anymore, he tried to call him several times, but he never answers his phone. He texts him, but he barely replies and whenever Key asks him out for a date, he keeps on saying he can’t come because of his schedule. After all that, Key decides not to attend the party ten minutes before it begins. Key texted Onew and he told Minho and Taemin that Key won’t be able to come.

“Why hyung? There is no fun at all, if Key hyung won’t be able to come…”

Taemin’s sad expression made Minho feel the emptiness of the party as well. Onew was trying to convince Key to attend the party, but Key felt tired of everything that has been happening and he needs quite a rest.

After quite sometime, Key suddenly called Onew and told him that he was at the door of the homecoming party. Onew rushed to the door and saw Key all dressed up and ready for the night. Key looked extremely handsome in the outfit he was sporting. His skin sparkled from his black blazer and his pink little lips shined.

“I thought you weren’t gonna come?”

“I said I’ll try hyung, I got reallybored.”

The party was great. It was like a reunion party for all of the students to meet again. But Key was never fully satisfied with it. And after a while, it was obvious that Key started to look for Jonghyun. It was the most probable reason why he attended the party. Onew was starting to notice that Key’s eyes were scouting the whole area. But the time was already 12:30 and Key saw no sign of Jonghyun in the party.

“ Are you looking for Jonghyun hyung? One of his classmates said that he couldn’t attend because he watched a show a while ago in the theatre.”

Minho said, and then suddenly realized that he spilled the secret. Taemin went blank and ran to Onew. Onew observed Key as Minho tried to explain to him why he was watching a show. Key was quite calm and after the conversation, Onew went to Minho and asked what he said.

“ First of all, Hyung I am so sorry,I—I didn’t mean to spill it out…”

“ Minho, you were almost at the edge of telling the whole story, what did you say?”

“ I told him that Jonghyun hyung was watching a friend who was part of the show, you know…m—moral support.”

Onew then observed Key once more and he noticed that Key was somehow waiting for a sign of Jonghyun, or at least a call from him. After minutes, nothing. Key then went outside.

Onew didn’t follow him, maybe Jonghyun already arrived, but he was wrong. Key went to the theatre to see Jonghyun. As he passed by the field, he saw two people walking towards him, but the two didn’t notice him coming. It was quite dark so he didn’t see who it was. They giggled and told stories to each other until finally, they stopped at a spot that was familiar to Key. Key observed the two as they paused and looked at each other deeply. The two were about to kiss, as the wind brought the tree’s branches into a different direction and he finally saw a clear view of who it was.

“…”

Key watched them and started to tear up. He silently turned and walked away. His mind was blank and his heart went heavy. It was Jonghyun, kissing Sekyung, in the spot where they confessed to each other. Where they first kissed, where Key felt the happiest feeling. Where they fell in love. It was like a shot in the chest to Key.