Chapter 42

Lethal Love

Charmaine sat across from Jessica as they both looked out of the window to admire the scene before them. The Lakeside cafe was perched on top of a hill that overlooked the harbour. When the waiter brought them their drinks, they turned back to the table.

Jessica fumbled in her bag and pulled out an invitation. "This is for you," she said as she passed it to Charmaine.

Without opening it, Charmaine grinned, "Congratulations. When is the big day?"

Stirring her coffee, Jessica smiled, "In two months. I want you to be my maid of honor."

Charmaine smiled and sadly said, "I'm sorry but I don't think I could take part in your wedding."

Jessica looked at Charmaine, "Why not? You're my best friend!"

"I know but I'll be in London," Charmaine said as she looked at Jessica. "I've accepted an offer to go there a few days ago."

"Are you leaving because of Raymond?" Jessica demanded.

"No. Of course not. I applied for this position even before I met him. This is the opportunity that I've been waiting for to advance in my career."

Jessica looked at Charmaine with disbelief, "I don't believe you. You could lie to me all you want but you can't lie to yourself."

Charmaine lowered her eyes to the table, trying in vain to avoid Jessica's knowing eyes. "Its best for me," she said quietly.

Knowing that once Charmaine has her mind set on something, she won't back down from it, Jessica said weakly, "I will miss having you at my wedding, but I do wish you the best in London."

Charmaine looked up and with tear filled eyes said, "Thanks Jessica. Before I leave for London, I would like to take you and Joe out to dinner."

Fighting to hold onto her own emotions, Jessica asked, "When will you be leaving?"

"Sunday," Charmaine answered as the two best friends exchanged sad looks, already missing each other.

===========================================================

Raymond took the morning off and was heading out the door for work when his aunt got off the elevator on his floor. She scurried over when she saw him. "Raymond, I'm so glad that you're home."

Raymond smiled impishly at his aunt, "I'm actually going to work now."

"Can you go in later?"

Raymond heard the urgency in his aunt's voice and was immediately alarmed, "What's wrong?"

"Your uncle isn't feeling well and I want to take him to the doctor but I have people coming to see the apartment in five minutes."

Bewildered, Raymond asked, "What apartment?"

"The apartment across from you. Charmaine's."

Raymond reeled from the information, his heart pounding fast and loud. "She's selling her apartment?"

Mrs. Chan was getting impatient with his questioning, "She sold it to me already. I'm showing it to prospective tenants now."

Raymond anxiously asked, "Why?"

Having no time to explain any further, Mrs. Chan shoved the keys into Raymond's hand. "The people will be here any minute. Just show it to them and have them call me with any questions." His aunt took off without giving Raymond a chance to question any more.

Raymond stood dumbstruck by this new information. Charmaine was leaving and he knew it was because of him. Since running into her at the Courthouse, he had been careful in avoiding her. He didn't know why he did it. God knows that he misses her very much and long for her to be in his life again. Now she was leaving for good. He had to see her before its too late for them.