Chapter 41

Lethal Love

Myolie returned home from work. Hearing noises coming from the kitchen, she went in and found Joe and Jessica preparing dinner. "Hi guys."

Joe smiled as Jessica took out bowls from a cabinet and said, "You're just in time for dinner. Bosco will be here any minute."

Myolie smiled tiredly and walked out of the kitchen. Jessica saw the look on her face and followed her. "What's wrong Myolie?"

Plopping herself on the sofa, she rested her head on a cushion. "I'm tired from work. What I need is a rich man to marry so that I won't ever have to work again."

Jessica quirked her eyebrows, "Are you sure that's what you want?"

Myolie said, "Hmmmmmmm," as she closed her eyes.

Jessica slapped her on the knees and said, "I'll tell Bosco then so that he won'thave to waste any more of his time on you."

Myolie quickly sat up and pulled Jessica's arm, "Don't or I won't ever forgive you."

Jessica laughed loudly and dragged Myolie up. "Stop this whining and help me set up the table."

Joe walked out with two plates of food and carefully placed them on the table. "What are you guys laughing about?"

"Oh, Myolie was just telling me that she wished..." Jessica started but got cut off by Myolie.

"I was telling Jessica that I wished you guys would hurry and get married," Myolie quickly added.

Jessica and Joe exchanged a look and an intimate smile which caught Myolie's attention. "Am I missing out on something?" she asked suspiciously.

Joe took Jessica's hand in his and looked at Myolie with a wide grin, "We ARE getting married!"

"What?" Myolie screamed and then ran to hug the both of them. "I'm so happy! My best friend and my god-brother! So have you guys set a date?"

Joe and Jessica laughed at Myolie's excitment while Myolie continued to gush, "Am I going to be the maid of honor? A bridesmaid?"

Joe held up his hand for Myolie to slow down, "We just decided to get married not long ago. We haven't gotten around to preparing for it."

Jessica said, "We don't want anything fancy or big. Just something small and simple with close friends and family."

Myolie walked up to Jessica and quietly asked, "Can I help with the planning?"

"Why? So you could be prepared for your own?" Joe teased just as the doorbell rang.

Jessica opened the door for Bosco. As he walked in, he greeted, "Hi everyone."

Myolie walked over to Bosco and leaned towards him, "They're getting married!"

Bosco smiled and shook Joe's hand, "Congratulations! When is the big day?"

Joe said thanks and then, "No date set yet. However, Myolie insists on helping with the preparations. She wants some practice for when her own time comes."

Myolie blushed and threw a pillow at Joe, "I didn't say that!" She looked over at Bosco and saw the redness creep up on him too. "Just ignore Joe. He likes to joke around."

Knowing how shy Myolie could get at times, he said, "Yes, I was only joking." He then turned and looked seriously at Bosco, "Any updates on the case?"

Bosco sat down on the couch, while Myolie offered him a soda. "Still nothing. Hopefully the victim will wake up soon so that we can catch the killer."

===========================================================

Charmaine sat alone on her couch picking at her barely touched salad when her doorbell rang. Who could it be at this hour? Could it be Raymond? she asked herself. She dashed to the door and expecting to see Raymond, saw his aunt instead. "Hello Mrs. Chan."

"Charmaine, can I come in to discuss something with you?" Mrs. Chan asked in her usual soft motherly tone.

"Of course, come in. Can I get you something to drink?" Charmaine offered as she started for the kitchen.

Mrs. Chan smiled, "No thanks. I'll only be here for a few minutes."

Charmaine sat down next to Mrs. Chan, "What can I do for you?"

Mrs. Chan opened her purse and took out a piece of paper. Charmaine recognized it immediately. She had signed it only a few hours ago. Not understanding why Mrs. Chan would have it she asked, "Where did you get that?"

Mrs. Chan handed the paper to Charmaine, "My friend owns that real estate agency. I was there after you left and you should have seen my surprise when I looked up and saw your apartment being listed."

Charmaine didn't know what to say and what Mrs. Chan wanted to discuss.

Seeing her confusion, Mrs. Chan continued, "I would like to buy your apartment. I already spoke to my friend and she'll void the contract with her agency if you're willing to sell it to me." She then winked at Charmaine, "We're really good friends, so she doesn't mind about the commission."

Charmaine was dazed by Mrs. Chan's offer. She never expected to have a buyer so soon. With hesitation she asked, "Are you sure?"

Mrs. Chan laughed at Charmaine, "Of course. I'm not even going to negotiate the purchase price with you. I could get it all back from the rental income with this place."

With nothing holding her back, Charmaine said, "You have a deal. I'll draw up the contracts tomorrow."

Mrs. Chan got up, "Great. When can you turn the apartment over to me?"

Charmaine got up too, "I'll be leaving all the furniture. So I can be out by a week."

"Excellent. In the meantime, would you mind if I started showing your apartment?"

"Sure," Charmaine said as she took out the extra set of keys to her apartment, Raymond's set, and handed them to Mrs. Chan. "You could show the place during the day when I'm at work."

Mrs. Chan smiled gratefully, "Thanks. I wouldn't have it any other way." On her way to the door, she turned around and asked, "After you sell this, where will you be moving to?"

Charmaine opened the door for Mrs. Chan and said, "London."

"That's so far away," commented Mrs. Chan out of politeness.

"I was given a great job offer there," Charmaine said matter-of-factly, which ended all further inquiries from Mrs. Chan. "Goodnite," Charmaine said as she closed the door.