Chapter 48

Lethal Love

"K-Kevin?" Charmaine said as she felt a tremor pass through her at his unexpected visit.

Giving her a quick half-smile, he walked past her into the apartment. "I rang your apartment before and the people there told me that you moved across the hall. I couldn't believe it at first when they told me that you live here with Raymond." Kevin said the last sentence bitterly.

Moving to stand away from him, Charmaine asked outright, "What do you want Kevin?"

Closing and locking the door, he stood in front of it. He looked harshly at her and demanded, "I want to know why him and not me?"

Charmaine didn't know how to explain. Even if she did, she knew that Kevin wouldn't understand or accept it. "I'm sorry."

Kevin pushed himself away from the door and grabbed her arms, "I was about to give up everything I have here to go with you to London! Why are you treating me like this?"

Charmaine struggled to get away from Kevin's grasp, but he was much stronger. "Stop it! Let me go!" she cried.

Without releasing his hold, Kevin retrieve a small hunting knife from his coat pocket. With one hand, he defly flipped it open. Charmaine was shocked upon seeing the shiny blade as he brought it up in front of her face. They heard the unclicking of a lock, and both turned to the door.

Raymond walked in and was horrified with the scene before him. In one quick movement, Kevin now stood behind Charmaine with the knife up against her neck. He sneered at Raymond, "You're just in time. Who wants to die first?"

===========================================================

Bosco banged on his steering wheel cursing loudly at the same time. The traffic has slowed to a crawl due to an accident two blocks ahead. He was about fifteen blocks away from Raymond's place and it seem as if he'll never get there. He prayed that nothing has happened to Raymond.

Besides him, Myolie sat silently lost in her thoughts. She too was worried about Raymond and Charmaine. Just when things were starting to work out for them, now this. She pressed the end button on her cell phone and impatiently hit the re-send button, "Still no answer on both of their phones."

Behind them in the back seat, Linda cowered in her seat. She didn't realize what Kevin could be capable of until she saw the deadly menace in his eyes. She regretted soliciting Kevin's help with Raymond. Sure she wanted to get back at Raymond by hurting him, but she wanted him hurt emotionally not physically. She would never ever wish him or Charmaine dead. She can never live with herself if anything happened to Raymond.

Up ahead, a traffic cop was re-directing the cars down another street. Bosco pulled up and scrolled down his window. He stucked his head out, "I have to get through. Its an emergency."

The traffic cop shook his head and remained poised in front of Bosco's car.

Bosco took out his badge and in a tight voice said, "Get out of my way now!"

Seeing the badge and the cold anger on Bosco's face, the traffic cop quickly moved aside to allow Bosco free passage up the street.

Myolie sat back in her seat and breathe a small sigh of relief glad that they are on their way again. Bosco sped down the street towards Raymond's apartment.

===========================================================

Joe looked at the victim and asked, "Are you positive it was Kevin Cheng?"

The victim nodded her head, tears spilling from her tired eyes. "I'm positive. I met him a few times through friends. I was a bit surprised when he asked me out since he never bothered talking to me before. When I went to meet him that night he had this weird expression on his face. He kept muttering and saying all sorts of weird stuff to me which didn't make any sense."

"What kind of weird stuff?"

The victim looked up and tried to concentrate, "He asked me why I didn't give him a chance and said that I should have picked him instead of Raymond. He only asked me out that one time and I went! And I don't know anyone by the name of Raymond."

Joe had a sudden memory of Myolie telling him about what happened earlier on the night the victim was attacked. That was the same day which Raymond and Charmaine broken up and Kevin was there too. The picture was becoming clear but he needed to know more, "What else did Kevin Cheng say to you that night?"

The victim closed her eyes for a brief moment trying to recollect her thoughts, then she opened her eyes wide, "He kept calling me by the name of Charmaine."

Joe suddenly stood up and yelled at Ron who stood outside the room, "Ron, call Bosco! Tell him our guy is Kevin Cheng!"