Chapter 2

Lethal Love

Myolie Wu walked through the front door of the apartment she shared with her friend Jessica. Dropping her briefcase and keys on the floor, she plopped herself down on the sofa. "So tired," she mumbled with her eyes closed shut.

Jessica came out of the kitchen holding a plate of sliced watermelon in one hand and a tall glass of beverage in the other. Using her foot, she tapped Myolie on the knee, gesturing for her to get up and scoot over. "You're always tired."

Opening her eyes, Myolie sat up quickly and took a slice of watermelon from Jessica's plate and stuffed it in . "That Raymond Lam is a slave driver!"

Jessica sighed as she sat down next to Myolie. "You say this about him all the time." Carefully Jessica transferred the two items in her hands onto the coffee table. Next she picked up the remote and flicked the tv on. "If you're not happy working there why don't you look for another job."

"I actually thought about that but I doubt I could find another job that would pay me this well." Muffling a giggle, Myolie continued. "Plus, I really don't have much to do in the office."

Staring fixedly at the tv, Jessica patted Myolie's knee. "Okay then, don't bother me now. I've been waiting for this movie to come on."

Myolie glanced at the tv screen and saw that it was a rerun of a romance movie from the 80s. She rolled her eyes. "I guess this beats looking at corpses."

Smiling at Myolie's quip, Jessica sighed. "I just want to relax right now. I have an autopsy tomorrow which the cops are waiting for the report on. So I'll have a full day's of work tomorrow."

Interested, Myolie asked, "Is it the female body from this morning? Found on the roof?"

Jessica nodded, her eyes still glued to the tv screen.

"I heard that Joe Ma is in charge of investigating the case. He's my idol."

Without paying attention to what Myolie had just said, Jessica murmured, "Good. Good."

Knowing that she had lost Jessica's interest to the tv, Myolie retrieved her briefcase and keys from the floor and dragged herself into her room.

===========================================================

Bosco Wong walked casually into the Happy Valley Bar. He scanned the room and found Raymond sitting by the window, with his profile towards him, smiling up at a pretty young waitress. Quietly he walked towards the table, not wanting to alert them of his presence. That way he could eavesdrop on their flirting, which Bosco knew was taking place. Raymond was a ladies man. Women of any age and race are attracted to him. From a man's perspective, Bosco could understand why. Raymond was a successful lawyer. He was smart and soave, not to mention handsome. Its quite funny that all through their years of friendship, Bosco had never envied Raymond. Bosco have his share of attracting numerous women too. Although Bosco could not compete with Raymond on looks and success, he had an exceedingly charming personality and a sensitivity that women found irresistible.

Raymond saw Bosco the moment he entered the bar and caught the mischievious glint in Bosco's eyes. He knew what his friend was up to and immediately called out to him. "Over here Bosco!"

Bosco stopped and looked at his friend wondering how does he do that. Raymond seem to see everything even with his back turn. "Hey there Ray." He smiled at the waitress and took a seat. "Can I get a beer?"

"Make that two," Raymond added as he smiled sweetly at the waitress.

Blushing, the waitress returned Raymond's smile and left to get them their beers.

Bosco snickered at Raymond. "One of these days, Linda is going to find out what a player you are and dump you."

Raymond shrugged his shoulders, unconcerned with the prospect. "So what? Not a big deal."

Shaking his head Bosco looked at Raymond. "If she dumps you, wouldn't you be heartbroken? After all you dated her for more than two years now."

Not quite sure what Bosco was getting at Raymond replied, "To me, women are replaceable. You lose one you'll find another one."

"What about their feelings?" Bosco persisted.

"What about it?" Raymond asked indifferently, bored with the topic.

"I guess that only means you haven't found a woman that you truly love. When you love someone, you..."

Raymond laughed cutting him off. "Please don't give me a lecture about true love again. I swear you act like a woman at times."

Bosco grinned as their waitress brought them their beers. With her head down, she placed the bottles before them and stood in place. She glanced shyly at Raymond, expecting him to make another comment to her.

Raymond barely looked at her and said offhandly, "Thank you so much." It was a clear dismissal.

Disappointed and embarassed, the waitress took off hurriedly.

"You're unbelievable," Bosco chuckled.

Feigning innocence, Raymond asked, "What? What did I do?"

In an anxious tone, Bosco reprimanded Raymond. "This is exactly what I mean. You flirt with all these women, not giving a damn how they feel. You play them!"

Raymond smirked at Bosco and took another gulp of his beer. Sarcastically he said, "Lucky you're my best friend otherwise I would think that you actually hate my guts."

Bosco gave up. He knew that Raymond would never change. That's just how he's always been and will be. Sighing loudly, Bosco changed the topic. "Are you prepared for your trial tomorrow?"

Looking at Bosco with confidence, Raymond grinned, "Since when was I never prepared?"

===========================================================

Ron knocked on Joe's door and when he heard Joe's voice, entered sitting down in one of the chairs opposite of Joe's desk. "Here are the pictures of the victim and some identification."

Grabbing the extended folder out of Ron's hand, Joe eagerly opened it to view the contents. There were 5 pictures of the entire body. Then there were about another 15-20 shots zooming in on the different parts of her body. Surprised, Joe read the initial report from the forensic team. "Odd, they didn't find any kind of mark on her body."

Ron looked down in his own folder. "At this time, they can't pinpoint the cause of death. The victim had no visible marks on her."

Joe turned to Ron. "How about indentification?"

Ron flipped some pages in his folder. "Her name was Michelle Yip. Age 26. Occupation, secretary in a law firm. She lived by herself. Our team went up to her apartment and did a thorough search. Nothing suspicious."

"What about family? A boyfriend? Anyone we can contact?"

Ron closed his folder. "That's the strange part. She's an orphan. Her neighbors said she was a loner and didn't talk much."

Joe also closed his folder and rubbed the bridge of his nose. He was beat and what he wanted to do right now was go home and sleep. "Ask Ken to check out the law firm where she worked. Also, have someone check out the orphanage where she came from. I'll be heading to the forensic department first chance I get tomorrow to get the autopsy report. We'll meet back here tomorrow in the late afternoon with our findings."

"Yes Sir!"