Chapter 26

Lethal Love

Raymond got off the elevators and instead of going home he headed towards Charmaine's door. He looked down at the cheesecake that he brought. Charmaine had a sweet tooth and this will definitely hit the spot for her. With the anticipation of spending some time with her, he rang her bell.

Charmaine opened her door but did not step aside for him to enter. She looked at him but did not say a word. Since meeting his girlfriend earlier, Charmaine cried and then her tears turned to anger. How silly of her to actually believe that Raymond truly wanted to be with her and only her.

Raymond saw her set expression and thought that she was probably just tired from work. "I bought you dessert."

Charmaine glanced briefly at the dessert box and then back up at him. "I'm tired now. Goodnight." She closed the door but Raymond stopped it with his foot. With concern, he asked, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing. I'm just tired." Charmaine again attempt to close the door but Raymond refused to budge.

Raymond searched her face for a clue for what is going on but saw nothing but a cold hardness. "I'll put this in your fridge then.

Still barring him from entering, Charmaine screamed, "I told you I'm tired. Can you just leave?"

Raymond was taken aback by her outburst, "What's wrong? Tell me!"

Charmained kicked Raymond on the knee and when he bent to hover over the injured area, she quickly slammed the door on his face. Raymond rang her bell again and again but after 5 minutes, he gave up.

Frustated Raymond stormed into his own apartment. He threw the cheesecake into the trash bin and took out a can of beer from the fridge. With one long swallow he finished the can. A flashing red light on the wall caught his attention. He went over to his phone and pressed the message light. His aunt's voice came over, "Raymond, Linda was here earlier. She forgot her keys so I loan her mine's. She didn't want me to mention it because she was afraid that you might lecture her. Where else can you find such a sweet girl like that?! So treat her nicer! Anyway, just calling to let you know."

By the end of the message, Raymond was beyond angry. He was fuming. Charmaine must have seen Linda enter or leave his apartment and came to her own conclusion. He punched the wall by the phone causing the phone to shatter onto the floor. Charmaine had been insecured about their relationship from the start. How can he gain her trust now? Punching the wall again, he muttered, "Damn!"

===========================================================

Ron was tailing Kevin as instructed by Joe. Kevin was now their number one suspect. So far Kevin was unaware of him. The main goal is to stay way behind, but not too far away to lose the target. He spoke into the microphone pinned to his collar. "Bosco, target is heading your way. 3:00 o'clock position."

"Gotcha," Bosco said as he put down the newspaper and started striding leisurely after Kevin. "This guy has his routine downpacked."

Ron looked at his watch. "He's probably going to stay home again by the looks of it. I'm going to grab a sandwich somewhere. Hungry?"

"Sure. The usual and I'll meet you in the car." Bosco sat behind the steering wheel and watched as Kevin enter his apartment building. He disliked the guy immensely. Kevin was a cocky, scheming bastard. Although Raymond told him that he had forgotten the incident, Bosco never will. Raymond almost died because of Kevin's ruthlessnes. Raymond had met Kevin in law school and introduced him to Bosco. They hung out a few times together but Bosco had never liked him. Bosco remembered that they had to submit some sort of research before graduating. Raymond was at the top of the class and had completed it days in advance. The student with the best paper will get an offer from a prestigious law firm. Kevin had always been jealous of Raymond and knew that he couldn't beat him. Coincidentally, there was a fire at Raymond's house the night before the submission of the paper. Although nothing led the fire to Kevin, Bosco knew it was him that started it. Luckily, Raymond wasn't seriously injured. He suffered some minor burns but the paper turned to ashes by the time the firemen came. Raymond also suspected Kevin but didn't mention it to the police.

Ron tapped on the window on the passenger side. Bosco leaned over and opened the door for him. "Did he come out?"

Bosco took the sandwich and placed his coffee on the dashboard. "No. I don't think he will." Bosco finished his sandwich in only a few bites and washed it down with his coffee. "Another useless night."