Chapter 37

Lethal Love

Raymond was flipping through a magazine growing impatient. Linda has been in the bathroom for over fifteen minutes. Did she decide to shower also, he wondered sarcastically. He wanted her out of here quick before Charmaine returns from work, which isn't for another two hours. If Charmaine sees Linda, she would definitely jump to the wrong conclusion. A slight movement caught his eyes and he looked up to find Charmaine at the door walking in, a deadpan expression on her face. "W-what are you doing back so early?" he asked nervously. He then noticed that Kevin, Bosco and Myolie were there also.

Charmaine saw the anxiety in Raymond's face and sweetly asked, "And why are you back so early?"

Linda heard Charmaine's voice and knew that it was her cue to make her appearance. She quickly ran her hands through her hair and smudged the lipsticks on her lips with the back of her hand. She stepped out of Raymond's bedroom and huskily asked, "Ray, who's out there?"

Three pairs of eyes Linda with shock, anger and disgust while Kevin stood back and smiled wickedly.

Charmaine felt her heart break into a million pieces seeing the half Linda who just walked out of Raymond's bedroom. Tears welled in her eyes and fell uncontrollably down her cheek. Raymond rushed to Charmaine's side and grabbed her arms. "Its not what you think," he cried urgently. "Linda only came up to use the bathroom. I didn't know that she was going to undress!"

Charmaine refused to look at him. She had been an idiot to actually believe that she meant something to a playboy like Raymond. Right now she hated herself more than him for believing his lies and sweet talk. "So this was why you were acting like a jerk at lunch. You wanted an excuse to break up with me!"

Raymond wheeled from her unfound accusations. "What? Why would I want to break up with you?"

Charmaine struggled to break free of his hold but he was much stronger. "Please let go of me," she said tonelessly.

Raymond shook his head and continued to hold her, "No, I won't. I can't." He looked over at Bosco and Myolie, who witnessed the scene in silence. "You guys believe me right?"

Bosco looked helplessly at his buddy while Myolie shot daggers at him, clearly telling him her answer. Raymond turned back to Charmaine, "Please believe me," he begged, "I would never hurt you like that!"

With all her strength, Charmaine pushed Raymond away. In a deadly voice she said, "Don't ever come near me again."

Raymond stared at her, the cold finality of her voice sinking deep inside his soul. In a soft voice he bit out, "You don't trust me at all do you?!"

Looking up at him, Charmaine met his eyes and stated flatly, "No, I don't."

Raymond laughed harshly and looked angrily at her. "I don't think you would ever trust me. No matter what I say or do, it will never be enough." Raymond glanced at the surrounding people and stopped at Kevin, who was smiling smugly in the background. Controlling his fury, he casually said to Charmaine, "Perhaps you're better off with Kevin, since he's such a 'good' guy."

Devastated by his off-hand words, Charmaine looked at Raymond one last time before storming out of his apartment.
Raymond felt the pain in his heart burst and he fought down the urge to scream. He walked to where Linda still stood, smiling gleefully at him. With his eyes burning into her's he coldly said, "Get the hell out of here."

Linda chuckled. "With pleasure. I got my revenge," she said as she pulled her coat over her ness and sauntered out of the apartment. Bosco and Myolie looked at Linda with open hostility and turned guiltily to Raymond.