Chapter 30

Lethal Love

Raymond got off the elevators and with annoyance saw that Linda was waiting outside his apartment. Upon seeing him, Linda smiled brightly choosing to ignore his irritated expression. "I've been waiting for you," she said directly.

Not casting her a glance, Raymond unlocked his door. "For what?"

Linda lifted a small bag to his face. "I thought I would cook dinner for us tonight.

Raymond looked at her, his face grim. "Linda, its over between us."

Linda flung the bag across the corridor with force and shouted, "Why? Is it because of her?" she indicated Charmaine's door with a tilt of her head.

"No. It has nothing to do with any one."

Linda stared at him with disbelief. "Stop lying! The day you broke up with me, you were with her that night!" Raymond was about to say something but Linda didn't give him the chance. "Don't deny it. I saw it with my own eyes. I followed you!"

Having enough of her nonsense Raymond coldly asked, "Why were you following me?"

Just then they heard the arrival of the elevator and Charmaine walked out and was momentarily stunned by the scene before her. Raymond stood erect glaring furiously at his ex-girlfriend while she was on the verge of tears. Both turned simultaneously as Charmaine walked towards them. Raymond saw the apprehension in Charmaine's face and held his arm out to her. Charmaine walked up to him and softly asked, "What's going on?"

Raymond wrapped his arm around her shoulders and looked down into her questioning eyes. Gently he reassured her, "Nothing. Linda stopped by again and I was just telling her that there's no reason for her to visit me anymore."

Linda was enraged by Raymond's words. But what got to her was the way he looked at Charmaine. A look of genuine caring that he never gave Linda. Catching them off guard, Linda brought her hand up and slapped Charmaine hard across the face.

Charmaine cried out at the sudden force, too shock to respond. Raymond took her in his arms and turned to look at Linda with unconcealed hatred. In a quiet voice laced with venom he said, "I never hit a woman before but if I so much as lay my eyes on you again, I can't guarantee what I'll do to you."

Linda turned from Raymond's icy glare to look once more at Charmaine. Without another word she left.

===========================================================Ron has been following Kevin for days now and didn't find his routine the least bit suspicious. Except for work and home, Kevin didn't really go anywhere else. He'll make an occasional stop at nearby restaurants and grocery stores, but other than that, nothing unusual. He felt his cell phone vibrate on his belt and looked at the caller ID flashing. It was Joe calling for an update. "Hey."

"Still on the tail of our one and only suspect?"

Ron glanced out the passenger side of the car's window. "Yeah. He's hasn't left the building since he got home over an hour ago."

"I'm surprised the guy doesn't have any girlfriends or dates or even any social gatherings."

Ron tapped his finger on the steering wheel. "I think he's onto us," he stated matter of factly.

"Go home and rest. Report to the station tomorrow morning and we'll go over the files again. See if we can come up with some new leads."

"Yes Sir!" Ron closed his cell phone and the engine of his car. Without a backward glance he pulled out of his space and merged in with the oncoming traffic. He did not know that not far behind him, Kevin was leaving his building and getting into his own car.

===========================================================

Bosco and Myolie were back at her apartment watching TV while Jessica prepared a platter of fruit.

"This killer is getting on my nerves!" Bosco said aloud to no one in particular.

"Are you sure its the killer and not the fact that you still haven't caught him?" Myolie teased.

"Its both," Bosco said grabbing a slice of orange off the platter before Jessica could set it down on the coffee table.

Picking up a slice of orange herself, Jessica said, "Don't worry. I know you guys would catch him."

"I just hope before we have another victim" Bosco quietly said. "I want you two to be careful at all times." Reaching into his coat pocket he retrieved two bottles of mace. "If you see anyone suspicious, make sure you have this in hand and ready to use."

Jessica and Myolie looked at each other and giggled.

Bosco saw their exchange, "What's so funny?"

Instead of reaching for the bottle of mace Jessica took another slice of orange from the platter. "You and Joe think alike."

Bosco realized that Joe must have given them the same thing or perhaps something similiar for them to defend themselves with. "That Joe!"