Chapter 13

Lethal Love

Jessica walked out of the police station and saw Joe standing by the curb smiling at her. She felt her heart flutter at the sight of him. "Hi."

Joe could not resist but smile in return. He was nervous and felt his hands trembling. He quickly stuck his hands into his coat pocket so that she wouldn't be able to see it. "I've been waiting for you."

Jessica's mind raced with a dozen of reasons why he would be waiting for her and sadly they all related to work. "Why?"

Joe kept his eyes on her and took a deep breath. It was now or never. "I want to ask you out to dinner."

Jessica was surprised and yet pleased. She found Joe very attractive and interesting. Ever since her boyfriend passed away, she thought she'll never have these feelings for a guy again. Still, perhaps it was a business dinner, to discuss the case. She didn't want to put herself up for disappointment. "Is it to discuss the cases?"

Joe frowned at her question. "No. Do you want it to be?"

Elated, Jessica quickly covered up. In a quiet firm voice, she said, "I was hoping it wasn't."

At her response, Joe smiled shyly. "What are you in the mood for?"

Meeting his eyes, Jessica said, "Anything you like is fine with me."

===========================================================

Raymond walked into his new apartment to find his aunt entertaining a cluster of people. He went over to her and gave her a kiss on the cheek. "How is my favorite aunt doing?"

Laughing, Mrs. Chan said, "I'm your only aunt and I'm doing well." She pulled Raymond by the arm into the kitchen. "I hope you don't mind. I invited some of the neighbors over to introduce you to them."

Smiling sheepishly at her, he said, "Looks like you invited the entire building." Seeing the stern look on her face, he quickly added, "But I don't mind. More clients for me."

"Must you think about work all the time?" Mrs. Chan reprimanded lightly.

Raymond laughed. His aunt was like a mother to him. His own parents passed away when he was in his early teens. Since his aunt had no children of her own, she thought of Raymond as her own son. When he mentioned that he wanted to buy a place of his own, she quickly brought him to see this apartment. She liked the convenience of him living in the same building. At first he refused. He was used to his own independence and unsure of living in such close proximity to her. But seeing how much it meant to her and with tons of persuasion, he finally agreed.

"Where is Linda?" Mrs. Chan asked.

Picking up a steak cube from a nearby tray, Raymond popped it in his mouth and mumbled, "Don't know."

With her arms crossed, she stared at him. "Raymond Lam, you are a heartless man! Linda is a wonderful girl. I feel that its time for you to marry."

"Please don't say that word," Raymond shrilled in an exaggerated tone.

Mrs. Chan slapped Raymond lightly on the arm. "What's wrong with Linda?"

Avoiding his aunt's searching gaze, Raymond replied, "Nothing is wrong with her."

"Then what's the problem?"

Sighing, Raymond pushed her aunt towards their guests in the living room. "No problem. I just don't want to get married." He quickly turned to the neighbors for a diversion. "Hi everyone!"

Mrs. Chan gave up and faced the group. "Everyone, this is my nephew Raymond." There was a unision of hellos. "Oh Raymond, the lady in the apartment across from you couldn't make it. When you get settled in, you should make an effort to introduce yourself."

"Sure.. sure," Raymond said without commitment, having no interest in meeting any more neighbors after tonight.