Chapter 35

Lethal Love

Raymond spotted the two immediately and purposely made his way towards them. Charmaine saw him approach and smiled lovingly at him, patting the seat beside her for him to take. Kevin extended his hand to Raymond in greeting, "Hi Raymond."

Ignoring Kevin's outstretched hand, Raymond sat down, his eyes on Charmaine. "Why didn't you tell me that Kevin was going to be here?" he demanded.

Charmaine looked at Raymond, wondering what was wrong with him. "I asked him at the last minute. I hope you wouldn't mind."

Raymond looked at Kevin then back at Charmaine, "I do mind."

Charmaine didn't understand why Raymond was acting this way. He knew that she and Kevin were friends even before she started going out with Raymond. In a quiet voice for his ears only, Charmaine pleaded, "Don't be unreasonable."

Raymond looked at Charmaine for a moment before getting up. Holding out his hand to her, he asked, "Can we talk alone?"

Charmaine remained seated, looking up at Raymond with incredulity. Kevin got up and picked up his jacket from the back of his chair. "Why don't I just leave so that the two of you can enjoy your lunch." He turned to Charmaine, "I'll catch up with you some other time."

"Thanks Kevin. I'll talk to you soon," Charmaine said disregarding the aggitated look on Raymond's face. When Kevin was out of sight she Raymond with disapproval, "What was that about?"

Raymond moved to the seat which Kevin vacated. "I don't want you to have any more contact with him."

Charmaine could not believe what she had just heard, "Excuse me? Are you telling me who I can be friends with now?"

"You can be friends with anyone you like, except for Kevin," Raymond answered solemly.

"What do you have against Kevin?"

Raymond stared at Charmaine. "He's not who he appears to be. Trust me on this."

Meeting Raymond's eyes, Charmaine stated slowly, "I have known Kevin for years now and he's a good person and a very good friend to me."

"Can't you just listen to me on this?!" Raymond asked, raising his voice a bit, and regretting it the moment he saw the hurt in her expressive eyes.

Charmaine heard the displeasure in his voice and it hit a nerve in her. "Kevin is my friend. He supported me during my rough times. How can I cut him out of my life now just because my boyfriend feels threatened by him."

"Is this what you think its about? Me being jealous of him?" Raymond asked incrediously.

Charmaine faltered at the look of angry disbelief on Raymond's face. "I don't know what to think," she admitted, seeing a different side of Raymond that she didn't like, "Perhaps we should drop this."

Raymond nodded looking down at the table and Charmaine did the same. The two sat there in awkward silence. This was their first big argument since being together and both were reluctant to be the first to give in. After a few moments, Charmaine picked up her bag, "I'm going to skip lunch. I forgot I have some important documents to review back at the office." As she got up she looked at Raymond, who stared unseeingly at his own clasped hands. She waited a few seconds for him to look up and say something, anything. When he didn't, Charmaine left without another word.

Raymond looked up as he felt the soft breeze of Charmaine's departure. He stared at her retreating back with regret. He knew that she was upset and that he shouldn't have lefts things the way they were. But he was still angry with her for her refusal to disconnect from Kevin. They both needed some time to calm down a bit. He'll call her tomorrow to make things up.

===========================================================

Kevin and Linda were sitting in her car outside the restaurant. They saw Charmaine leave the restaurant with a sour expression and knew that their first step of the plan had worked.

Linda smiled smugly at Kevin. "Didn't I tell you that it would work?"

Kevin broke into a wide grin and curiously asked, "How did you guessed that Raymond would have such a reaction upon seeing me?"

Linda laughed softly, "Its not a secret that he hates you. Only your precious Charmaine doesn't know why."

"So what's the next step?" Kevin asked.

"I'm going to do my part and you," she paused, "you're to bring Charmaine home tonight. I don't care what method or excuse you use. Just make sure that you show up with her outside of Raymond's apartment after work."

Kevin saw a flicker of excitment run through Linda's face and outright asked, "Even if we were to break them up, how can you be sure that you'll get Raymond back?"

Linda laughed mirthlessly as she looked at Kevin. "I don't want him back. I just want to make him miserable for dumping me."