Chapter 23

Lethal Love

Ron walked into Kevin's office and seated himself. He saw the arrogant look on Kevin's face and wanted to wipe it off, preferably with a baseball bat. After they were both seated, Ron asked, "Mr. Cheng, do you know Michelle Yip?"

Kevin gave Ron a smug smile and said, "No, but should I?"

Without removing his eyes from Kevin, Ron took out the picture of Michelle Yip and placed it on the desk in front of Kevin. "That's her."

Kevin glanced briefly at the picture and shrugged. "Doesn't look familiar but she's pretty."

Ron could feel the tension building up inside of him. In a controlled voice he asked, "Is that you in the picture?"

Without taking a second look at the picture Kevin flatly answered, "No."

Annoyed by his offhand attitude, Ron persisted, "Why don't you take a closer look?"

Kevin lowered his eyes to the picture, "Sorry. I don't know her."

With his index finger Ron pointed at the male in the picture. "Do you deny that this is you?"

Kevin chuckled and got up. "That is not me." He walked towards the door and opened it. "I'm sorry but I have a meeting in 5 minutes. So perhaps we could continue this another time."

In other words, Ron knew that he was being told to leave. Picking up the picture he placed it back into his coat pocket. "Fine. When will you have free time?"

"Check with my secretary and make an appointment," Kevin said curtly and closed the door on Ron.

===========================================================

Raymond returned from lunch with Charmaine feeling happy and excited. She always had that effect on him. He just saw her not too long ago and he already misses her. They were going to meet up for dinner and he couldn't wait to be with her again. Whistling, he walked into his office. When he entered, he was surprised to see Linda sitting on the sofa reading a magazine. In an irritated voice, he asked, "What are you doing here?"

Unaffected by his tone, Linda placed the magazine back down on the table. "I came to see you."

Raymond went behind his desk and sat down. He soften his tone and said, "Actually I'm glad you came."

Linda was thrilled with his acknowlegement and gave him a bright smile. "You are?"

"Yes, I have something to tell you," he said gravely.

Linda saw the determination on his face and knew that she wasn't going to like what he was about to tell her. He had been avoiding her calls for weeks now. She had a feeling that it was over for them but she will not accept it. Trying to put it off, she quickly pull out a box from a shopping bag and moved towards him. "I was shopping the other day and saw this shirt. I just know you're going to like it."

Raymond put his hand forward preventing her from getting closer. "Linda, I'm sorry."

Without being told, she knew what he meant. "Why?" she asked weakly.

"Because I don't love you," he said simply.

Linda looked up at him on the verge of tears and cried, "You tell me this after two years?!"

"I never made any promises to you. From the beginning I said if we're happy we'll stay together but if not, we go our separate ways."

Linda dropped the box onto the floor and grabbed his arm. "I know you love me. Even if its just a little bit. Tell me you love me!"

Raymond held her shoulders and looked down at her. "I'm sorry but I just don't have that feeling for you. We could still be friends but if you don't want to, I'll understand."

Linda knew it was over between them. She also knew that there was another woman. She will not let him get away that easily. Although her heart was breaking, she could also feel her fury rise. She will find out who the other woman is and destroy her the same way Raymond had to her. Putting on an angelic expression she softly said, "I'm disappointed that we were not meant to be but I will settle for being friends."

Raymond exhaled a sigh of relief unaware of the vengence thoughts running through Linda's mind. "Thanks."

===========================================================

Joe walked into the cafe and saw Bosco and Ron there already. They were chatting amicably about the murders. With long strides, he was at the table in seconds. "Any news?"

Bosco shook his head. "Selena and I checked out the apartment but couldn't find anything suspicious. We took all her photo albums back to the station. Hopefully if we find one with Kevin Cheng in it, then he will be our prime suspect."

Joe rubbed his eyes. "The murderer is leading us in a wild goose chase."

Bosco took a sip of his coffee, "The last victim, Nancy Wu, is the youngest of the three. The other two were just poisoned but Nancy Wu was stabbed."

"That's the only thing I don't understand." Joe pulled out a piece of paper from his pocket. "Jessica gave me this earlier." He handed it to Bosco and Ron. He gave them time to read and process the information. "All three victims have the same rare poison in their system. So we can safely say that we are dealing with a serial killer."

Ron spoke, "I went and talked to Kevin Cheng. He's a freakin bastard!"

Bosco chuckled at Ron's choice of words. "I told you so."

Resisting the urge to laugh at Bosco's 'I told you so' tone, he said, "Kevin denies being the man in the photo of Michelle Yip." Slamming his hand on the table he snarled, "We know damn well its him!"

Joe didn't know what to do now. Even if Kevin was the murderer, he doubt he'll openly admit it. "Ron, I want you to look in Michelle Yip's apartment again. Perhaps we missed something the first time." He then turned to Bosco and said, "I want you to do the same with Tracy Ip's apartment." Joe got up and said, "I'm going over to Nancy Wu's place."

Just then, Jessica walked in. Joe's face lit up at seeing her. "What are you doing here?"

Walking around Joe to sit down she said, "I know you guys like to come here and discuss your cases. I have a new clue."

Excitedly, Joe held Jessica's hand without thinking and anxiously asked, "What did you find?" Bosco and Ron saw their clasped hand and exchanged knowing looks which made Jessica blush.

"We found a piece of hair inside the wound which did not belong to her. After analyzing it, the results show that it belonged to Kevin Cheng."

Joe snapped his fingers. "Bosco, get an arrest warrant and pull him in for further questioning."

"Yes sir!"