Chapter 45

Lethal Love

Kevin got out of his parked car holding a bouquet of red roses. Charmaine should be leaving for work soon, today being her last day at the firm. He knew that she was leaving for London on Sunday and he was here to persuade her to either stay or let him go along with her. He could easily find a job in London. What matters most to him was Charmaine. He walked towards the entrance of her building and came to a halt at the sight of the couple coming out. Charmaine was with Raymond again! Not only that but they were holding hands.

Seeing Kevin, Charmaine faltered and her steps lagged. Raymond sensed the change in her and looked up to find Kevin glaring at them with open detestation.

Raymond firmly clapsed Charmaine's hand as they made their way towards Kevin. When they were less than 5 feet away, Raymond stopped, "Hello Kevin. What brings you here?"

Kevin turned deadly eyes on Charmaine making her pulse race. In a smooth voice he said, "I was in the area and decided to stop and pay a visit with Charmaine."

Raymond smiled, but the smile was forced and fake, "I thank you for visiting MY girlfriend but you're too late. We're heading out now."

Kevin cast a brief glance at Raymond, and returned his glower at Charmaine. In a callous voice, he demanded, "When did you get back with him?"

Charmaine returned his stare, having enough of his attitude. He had no right to speak to her like that. She never led him on or made any promises to him. In fact, she had told him straight out on more than one ocassion that they can never be anything but friends. "Its none of your business."

Kevin was taken aback by her outright rebuttal and he quickly changed the tone of his voice, "I'm sorry for acting like a jerk. I'm just upset." He looked at her with pleading, "Charmaine, you know how I feel about you."

Seeing the sadness in Kevin and hearing his plead, Charmaine regretted her earlier blunt words. "I should be saying sorry. I just want you to understand that I only think of you as a friend." She caught the dagger looks aimed at Raymond and said, "This has nothing to do with Raymond. Even without him, I would not have chosen you."

Kevin looked between the two and muttered a "I see" before striding away to his car.

Raymond and Charmaine stared after Kevin as he got into his car and drove away. When he was gone, Raymond turned Charmaine into his arms and squeezed her shoulders. He looked at her guilt-ridden face and tilted her chin up. "Don't blame yourself. Like you said, you never gave him any false hope. Now lets just hope he finally gets it and leave you alone for good!"

"I still feel bad about the situation. Kevin is such a nice guy."

Raymond's face darken at her words, "You don't know him like I do."

Charmaine was surprised by Raymond's statement, "It sounds as if you've known him for a long time."

Keeping his eyes glued to hers, Raymond firmly said, "I do and I don't want to get into it now. I'll tell you all about it tonight. But promise me that you'll stay away from him from now."

Charmaine closed her eyes and nodded in agreement. Seeing her response, Raymond hugged her tightly to him.

===========================================================

Linda saw the entire encounter not far away. She happened to be passing by when she caught sight of the them and quickly hid behind a van. Unaware of her presence, she was able to hear every word spoken between them. She felt her fury rise learning that Raymond and Charmaine were together again. She will not let them off that easily. One way or another, she will break them up. When she saw that Raymond and Charmaine had left the scene, she took her cellphone out and dialed. "Kevin, meet me at Autumn's Cafe in an hour," she said and hung up.

===========================================================

Joe strode into the station with a wide grin. He was getting married to the most beautiful and wonderful woman in the world. Just thinking about Jessica made his heart warm.

"Hey Joe, take a look at this," Ron called out, interrupting him from his thoughts.

Joe quicken his pace and was at the conference table in seconds. Ron had the files of all the victims scattered along the oblong table. In Ron's hand, he held a mobile phone. Bewildered, Joe asked "Look at what?"

Ron passed the phone to Joe. "I was just going back on some details of our victims. This is the cellphone of Michelle Yip. Although we got a log of all her calls three weeks before her death, we never checked the phone's calendar. Look what she had inputed on the date of her death."

Joe stared at the note written on that date. "Kevin"

Ron then passed two more mobiles to Joe. "I've checked the other two victims' phone. By coincidence, they too have a habit of using their cell phones' to calendar events. Both have inputed the name Kevin on the dates of their deaths."

"But how can we be sure that its Kevin Cheng? There are so many Kevins out there."

"I know but at least we know we're heading in the right direction. Kevin is still our number one suspect."

Joe's phone rang and he picked it up on the first ring, "Joe speaking," pause, "what" pause, "we'll be right over."

Ron saw the anxiety in Joe's face and quickly stood up, "what happened?"

Walking towards the door, Joe said, "Our victim is awake."