Chapter 21

Lethal Love

Charmaine spent the morning reading the documents for her trial. She had barely slept the night before. Raymond was constantly in her thoughts. Images of him kept flashing through her mind. With defeat, she knew that she was in love with him already. She also knew that she must fight it to protect herself.

Her stomache rumbled and she glanced briefly at the clock. One o'clock already. She didn't realize how late it was. Not having anything to eat earlier, no wonder she was starving. She picked up her keys and wallet and headed out.

Raymond was on his way out of his apartment and saw her. They stood staring at each other for a few seconds before Charmaine quickly averted her eyes. With uncertainty, Raymond approached her. "Hi," he greeted simply.

Charmaine avoided his eyes and concentrated on locking her door. "Hi," she mumbled.

He looked her up and down and noticed that she was in a sweats. "I thought you had plans today."

She turned around and flickered a glance at him. "They were cancelled this morning."

With accusation, Raymond muttered, "I see." He was hurt and it showed. He couldn't understand what had happened. Last night during lunch and even during dinner they chatted happily away. All of a sudden, she did a complete turnover and was behaving like when she first met him. "I thought we were friends now."

Charmaine felt her heart ache at seeing Raymond's hurt expression but she stood firm. She doubt that they could be friends now. The more she saw of him, the harder it'll be for her to control her feelings for him. Putting on a blank face, she cooly said, "I don't think we should be friends anymore."

Raymond mistook her reaction for disdain and grabbed her arm and demanded, "Why? Why do you still hate me?"

She stared helplessly at him and solemnly said, "I don't hate you at all."

Confused Raymond looked at her trying to understand what's going on in her mind. "Then why are you acting this way?"

"Please... can we just leave it alone?" She pulled her arm from his grasp and was about to walk away but Raymond took hold of her again.

"No!" he said forcefully. "I want to know once and for all why you're treating me like this." Raymond looked at her with pleading and soften his tone. "Please tell me what have I done wrong."

Meeting his gaze, Charmaine said, "You've done nothing wrong. Its me."

Raymond was perplexed by her statement. "I don't understand."

Charmaine looked at him and miserably explained, "If we were to be together and when the day comes that you become tired of me, I don't think I could handle it."

Raymond finally understood and was relieved. He looked at her with all the love in his eyes. "I promise that you're the only one for me from now on."

Charmaine searched his eyes and what she saw was truth. Still unwilling to trust him, she asked, "Do you really expect me to believe that?"

Raymond took her hands and held onto them tightly. "Give me a chance and time will tell."

Charmaine said nothing but continued to look at him. Just when Raymond was about to give up, she spoke. "One chance is all you'll get."

Raymond grinned and hugged her tightly to him.