Chapter 20

Lethal Love

Raymond and Charmaine worked silently together as they did the dishes. Charmaine was in charge of washing and rinsing while Raymond dried them and arrange them on the rack. After the task was done, they went into the living room.

Raymond leaned back against the sofa and closed his eyes briefly. "Cooking is hard work!"

Charmaine took a seat on the opposite end. "You didn't have to cook. You could have just bought take out like you said you would."

With his eyes still closed, he said, "Too much MSG isn't good for you." Suddenly he opened his eyes and looked directly at her, "Besides I don't mind cooking for you every night."

Not knowing how to respond to that, Charmaine flickered on the tv and changed the topic. "What do you feel like watching?"

Raymond got up and moved to sit next to her. He took the remote from her hand and turned off the tv. "I don't feel like watching tv. Let's talk instead."

Charmaine stood and walked into the kitchen. She heard Raymond following behind her and quickly pretended to wipe off a stain on the counter. Without turning around she asked, "What do you want to talk about?"

Raymond continued to watch her back. In a quiet voice, he said, "Let's talk about you. What do you like to do in your spare time?"

Still without turning around, Charmaine gave a light laugh. "Nothing much really. Hang out with the girls or stay home and watch tv."

Raymond slowly approached her and stopped when he was less than a foot away. Quietly he asked, "Can you look at me? I'm not used to talking to someone's back. Besides, its rude."

Charmaine heard the whine in his last remark and it brought geniune laughter from her. Not aware of how close he was, Charmaine turned around abruptly and smacked into his chest. Raymond steady her with his arms enjoying their closeness.

With her heart pounding fast, Charmaine stepped out of his arms and just as fast escaped to the living room. Being so near to him was causing all sorts of new emotions running through her. Sometimes the way he looks at her would have her heart pumping at an abnormal rate. She knew she was falling for him and she have to stop it. He was an infamous playboy and she will not allow herself to be added to his collection. Casually, she said, "Its getting late. I still have a lot of reading to do."

Raymond was distraught but he didn't show it. He knew that it would take time to win her over. "Ok then. Why don't we have breakfast together tomorrow?"

"Sorry but I have plans," Charmaine lied.

"Next time then," Raymond said and then he left her apartment.

===========================================================

Jessica completed her initial examination of the body and stood up to look at Joe and Bosco. "From the looks of it she died of the stab wound in her heart. But I won't know for sure until I do an autopsy."

Joe looked down at the body and again noticed the serene expression on the victim's face. "Look at her," he addressed the other two, "seems like she's asleep instead of dead."

Bosco knelt down and lightly touched the victim's arm. An eerie feeling rushed through him. "I believe her death is somehow related to the other two." Jessica and Joe knew which two Bosco was referring to.

"I doubt it," Jessica informed. "This victim died of a stab wound. The other two were poisoned."

Joe walked around the body scanning the area to see if he can find anything unusual. Except for the victim's purse, not even a scrap of paper was on the ground. "The killer is very careful."

"No matter how careful he is, we'll get him" Bosco said firmly. "No matter how smart or careful he is, he's bound to make a mistake."

Joe patted Bosco on the shoulder. "I agree. We'll get him." He then put his arm around Jessica and together they watched while the paramedics bagged the body. "When will you have the autopsy report?"

Jessica looked at her watch, then up at him. "I'll wait at my office for them to bring the body to me and can work on the report right away."

Stunned, Joe asked, "You're going back to the office to work?"

"Don't you want me to get you the report ASAP?"

Joe laughed. "Yes, but not during your own personal time." He took her hands in his. "Tonight is our personal time and you are not going to work."

Jessica loved how Joe looked after her. He was capable of separating business from pleasure and she admired him for it. In a sly voice she asked, "So what do you suggest we do now?"

Leading her out of the area, Joe said, "Anything that has nothing to do with dead bodies." As one, they turned towards Bosco who was with Myolie soothing the elderly woman. "We're leaving to celebrate the remainder of Jessica's birthday. Bye."

Bosco and Myolie waived. "Don't worry about here," Bosco called out. "I'll take care of it. Have fun!"