Chapter 6

Lethal Love

Myolie and Ron stood outside the police station waiting for Joe. The three were going out for a quick dinner, which was their weekly routine. They have been close friends for over two decades now. They lived in the same apartment building as kids and grew up playing together. Joe was the eldest which automatically made him the leader of the pack. Their relationship was strong, like real siblings.

Myolie took her cell phone out and was about to call Joe to see how long he'll be.

"Don't," Ron commanded. "He should be out soon."

Myolie put away her cell phone and folded her arms over her stomach. "I'm soooo hungry," she whined in an exaggerated voice.

Ron chuckled and pointed towards the entrance of the police station. "He's coming out right now."

Joe ran towards them putting each arm around his two good friends. "Have you guys decided on where to go?" The three proceeded to cross the street.

Myolie looked up at Joe and dramatically fluttered her eyes. "Whatever my idol decides on is fine with me."

Joe laughed and rolled his eyes. "Would you stop calling me that? Its embarassing!"

Ron joined in the fun. "You're my idol too! Since joining our team, you have solved one case right after another."

"See, even Ron calls you that." Myolie teased and moved to stand between the two men linking her arms with each of their's. "Its a compliment and you should learn to accept them."

Joe put up his hands in surrender. "Fine but please don't call me that in front of other people."

Myolie giggled. "Too late. I already called you that in front of Jessica."

At the sound of her name, Joe turned to look at Myolie with interest. "I finally got to meet her for the first time today."

Myolie was thrilled hearing that. She had been trying to get the two to meet for the longest time. She thought they suited each other and wanted to play matchmaker. Unfortunately, their timing was always off. "So what do you think of her?"

Joe smiled and responded, "I think she's beautiful and smart."

Myolie nodded her head in agreement. "She is. She's a wonderful person too. I'm happy that you guys finally met. Let's all get together one night for dinner," she suggested eagerly.

Joe blushed at the idea. "Sounds good to me."

===========================================================

Bosco had walked around the victim's body a few times already. Each time stopping at a different part of her body to get a closer look. He now stopped by her hands and stood staring at her nails. The paint on the nails shone brightly. There weren't any scrap marks of paint on her fingers which indicated that the victim must have had a manicure not long before her death. He took a pair of latex glove from beneath the examining table and slapped them on. Carefully, he lifted the hand of the victim and peered closely at her nails before shutting his eyes.

Jessica stood by the side observing the entire progress. She never believed in paranormal activities but after her previous encounter with Bosco, will now have doubts. "So when did you realize that you have this 'sense'?"

Still concentrating on the body, Bosco answered, "I don't know exactly when. It just happened and has been happening every now and then. Some time no matter how hard I try I don't get any visions. At times, it'll just pop up without warning."

"Must be awful for you." Jessica said sympathetically, imagining how it was like being in his shoes with all these unwanted visions. Bosco didn't say anything so she aborted the discussion.

Finally, Bosco looked up at Jessica, the victim's hand still in his. "I don't want to sound disrespectful but have you examined and ran any tests under the victim's nails?"

Startled by his question, Jessica came forward and looked more closely at the victim's hand. "I did and the tests came back negative."

Bosco returned the hand to its place on the table and removed the latex gloves. "I think you should look again."

Jessica looked at Bosco with skeptism. "Why?" she asked looking back and forth between Bosco and the victim's hand.

Bosco gave her a serious look and firmly said, "Trust me. Re-examine her hands."

===========================================================

Raymond and Linda had finished their entree a while ago and was now enjoying dessert over coffee.

She spooned the last portion of her creme brulee and offered it to Raymond. "You want?"

"Of course." He opened his mouth and she fed it to him. When he was done he washed it down with his coffee. "That was very good. Are you ready to go?" Raymond asked as he took his wallet out.

Finishing her coffee, Linda smiled. "Yes."

Raymond skimmed the restaurant in search of their waitress. His eyes stopped, resting on a very familiar beautiful face. Charmaine Seh! He doubt he could ever forget a face like that.

Their waitress appeared out of nowhere and momentarily claimed Raymond's attention. "Was everything alright with your dinner?" she asked politely.

"Yes," Raymond answered, as he felt his heart rate go up. Must be all that sugar from dessert, he thought. That would definitely explain the sudden acceleration of his heart beat. "May we have the check?" he asked lightly as he slowly breathe in and out. The waitress nodded and was gone.

Raymond paid for their meal and helped Linda up from her seat. He looked over at Charmaine again, who was still oblivous to his presence. Purposefully, he made his way towards her table, with Linda trailing behind.

Charmaine looked up from her plate and saw Raymond walking towards her. Their eyes met briefly, before she quickly looked away. Damn, she thought to herself, why do I have to see him again? Pretending not to have seen him, she continued with her meal, and prayed that he will bypass their table.

"Hello," Raymond greeted as he stood next to their table.

She looked up reluctantly and managed to put on a fake smile. "Hi."

Kevin also looked up and frowned at their visitor. "Raymond, how are you?" he asked.

Raymond was surprised to see Kevin and answered cooly, "I'm doing well." Ignoring Kevin, he turned back to Charmaine. "I came over to say that I hope you didn't feel threatened by your first trial with me."

"Why would I?" she asked in a challenging voice.

Raymond chuckled looking at her with his intense eyes. "Just wondering," he said. For a few seconds he didn't speak but continued to stare at her. He felt Linda tug at his sleeve from behind. "Enjoy your dinner," he whispered and walked away with Linda.