Chapter 7

Lethal Love

Bosco walked into the police station and headed straight for Joe's office. Jessica had re-examined the hands and, as suspected, had some new findings. He was excited with this new lead and hopefully it could provide more clues in helping them arrest the murderer. "Joe," he called out and walked directly into his office.

Joe looked up from his reading, "What is it?"

Bosco passed the report to Joe, indicating with his head for him to open and read it.

After several minutes of silence Joe looked up. "Why wasn't this in their first report?"

Not wanting to cause Jessica any problems or for others to view her as incompetent, Bosco defended her. "Its because the drug is untraceable in the system. The drug is harmless on first contact. It takes a few hours, approximately two to three, for it to release and when released its in the form of an odor."

Confused, Joe asked, "But how did you figure out that she was drugged under the finger nails?"

Bosco didn't know how to answer that. He couldn't say that it was based on one of his visions when he touched the victim's body. Hearing that, Joe would probably think he was crazy and unfit for police work. "It was a wild guess."

Joe smiled at Bosco, looking at him with approval. "Very good. But how do you know about all this stuff?"

Feeling a bit shy, Bosco lowered his head, "Science was one of my top majors in college."

Laughing, Joe came around his desk and patted Bosco on the back. "Good job. We are happy to have you as part of our team."

===========================================================

Charmaine and Jessica strolled arm in arm past the line of stores in the two story mall. They have did extremely well so far and neither would be going home empty handed.

They approached the down escalator and Charmaine got on first. She turned her head up at Jessica and asked, "Any special plans for your birthday?"

Jessica took a step down so that she was on the same level with Charmaine. "No. At least I don't think so. But knowing Myolie, she'll probably plan something for me."

"If so, make sure she invites me!"

Jessica tilted her head, "If its a surprise party then I wouldn't know about it. So how can I possibly make sure that she invites you?"

"Hmmm... you're right. I should start hanging out in your apartment more often," Charmaine joked.

Jessica smiled. "You're always welcome to. How many times have I asked you to hang out with me and Myolie?"

Squeezing Jessica's arm, Charmaine replied, "I know... I know. I would love to get to know Myolie too. She sounds like such a sweet person. And from those few times that I chatted with her, she seems so nice."

"She is and I want my two closest friends to be close friends also."

Charmaine grinned at Jessica. "Why don't we pick up some steaks for dinner and cook it at your place? Will she be home for dinner?"

Liking the idea, Jessica smiled. "I believe Myolie mentioned that she would definitely be home for dinner tonight."

===========================================================

Raymond sat behind his massive desk trying to concentrate on the paperwork before him. He can't seem to gather his thoughts together. He looked down at the document again but all he saw was a blur. Whenever he closed his eyes, Charmaine would appear. He has never been this interested in any woman before. Probably because she is the only female to ever reject his advances. He also detected that she had a strong dislike for him, which bothered him alot.

After a moment's hesitation, he made the decision to call and ask her out to dinner. She will of course refuse but he can always use the case as a reason to meet. He pressed his intercom, "Leila, can you bring me the Pearl Orient file."

Leila was an extremely sufficient secretary. In seconds, she was in his office with the files. He muttered a thanks and looked in the file. "Leila, when you get back to your desk, patch me with the opposing counsel for this case."

"Yes Mr. Lam," Leila replied and left.

Moments later, Raymond's phone buzzed indicating that the call is through. Lifting his receiver, he expected to hear Charmaine's voice but instead it was Florence's. "Florence, how are you?" he asked, quickly covering his surprise.

"Raymond, how are you? Is this a business or personal call?"

Raymond could hear the seductive tone in her voice. "Actually business," he said then added, "for once."

Florence laughed heartily. "What can I do for you then?"

Raymond thought for a moment, trying to come up with a plausible reason for his call. "Its about the hearing..."