Chapter 34

Lethal Love

Charmaine walked out of her office and bumped right into Kevin who was on his way in. "Sorry," she muttered not knowing how to act around him now since their awkward encounter.

Kevin smiled warmly at her. "Although I'm upset and a bit disappointed that you chose Raymond, we could still be friends right."

"Can we?" Charmaine asked meekly, hoping that he meant it.

"Yes we can," Kevin affirmed, "like we were back then."

Charmaine smiled with relief, "You don't know how much it means hearing that from you."

"I still wonder what Raymond has that I don't but then they say love is blind. I have no hard feelings. I want us to continue to be friends like before."

Charmaine touched his arm briefly, "Thanks." She walked with Kevin towards the elevator banks. "So what brings you here?" she asked as she pressed for the elevator.

"The usual. Lunch with you."

Charmaine looked at him. "I'm sorry but I'm meeting Raymond now."

Kevin held onto his smile, although he was seething inside. With a calmness that he did not really feel, he suggested, "Mind if I join you guys?"

"Of course not. I'm sure Raymond wouldn't mind either."

"Great then," Kevin said as they moved into the elevator.

===========================================================

Raymond was across the street from the restaurant where he was suppose to meet Charmaine when someone called out to him. It was Linda. He had not forgiven her for slapping Charmaine. Ignoring her, he proceeded to cross the street but she was quick and grabbed his arm before he left the curb. Swinging her hand away from him, he asked icily, "What do you want?"

Linda looked at him with sad eyes. "I-I just wanted to apologize for my behavior the last time."

Raymond remained silent, not looking at her. "Is that all? Goodbye then."

Linda grabbed his arm again, "Wait. Can you please forgive me? You don't know how hard the breakup is for me."

Raymond cast her a glance and saw her red-rimmed eyes. For once, he felt guilty about the way he treated her and all the women that he dated. Softening his tone he said, "Look, I'm the one who should be apologizing. I'm sorry for the way I treated you."

Linda smiled. "I hope we can at least be friends."

Raymond gave her a genuine smile. "Sure. Friends."

Linda knew that she had got him where she wanted. "Of course. So are you meeting Charmaine now?"

Not wanting Linda involved in his private matters, Raymond answered simply, "Yes," then turned away from her, "I'll see you around."

"Oh there's Charmaine!" Linda said eagerly, as Raymond turned toward the direction where Linda was looking at. Charmaine was walking towards the restaurant chatting and laughing amicably with Kevin. "Who is that with her?" Linda asked innocently. "He's cute."

Ignoring Linda's latter remark, Raymond's eyes narrowed at the pair as he watched them enter the restaurant. In seconds he too walked into the restaurant forgetting about Linda's presence. Linda smiled to herself knowing that her plan was working.