Chapter 22

Lethal Love

Jessica and Bosco were on each side of the victim's body. Jessica was scribbling notes onto her clipboard while Bosco stood silently examining the body. She bent down to get a closer look at the stab wound. "This killed her."

Bosco continued to study the victim. "Yes but the killer wanted to use his regular method."

Jessica looked at her notes, "She also had the same poison in her system as the other two victims. Only I don't understand why she was stabbed also."

Bosco closed his eyes for a moment. "The other two victims were strangers to him. This one, however, he knew."

Putting down her clipboard, Jessica was again amazed at Bosco's abilities. "You could sense that?" she asked.

"Yes, I could also sense that she was very frightened of him." Bosco looked down at the victim with pity. "Three young women killed brutally by this guy. We have to catch him fast."

"Does the police have any leads?"

Rubbing his forehead, Bosco said, "No. The only possible suspect is Kevin Cheng but nothing ties him to them except that he was in the same photo as the previous two victims."

"Did you guys search the victim's apartment yet?"

"Joe and Ron are there as we speak."

Jessica walked away from the body and removed her lab coat. With grace she hung it on the hook next to the door. "Wanna grab lunch?"

Bosco looked at his watch. "Sure since Myolie is busy."

Chuckling Jessica teased, "So.. you and Myolie huh?"

Bosco felt the blood rushing to his face. "We're just friends."

Jessica gave him a disbelieving smile, "Sure.. friends."

===========================================================

Raymond raced into the restaurant and found Charmaine sitting at a table by the window. She smiled when she saw him and he quickly sat down opposite of her.

"Sorry, my meeting ran a bit late," he explained, as he took off his jacket and picked up a menu.

Picking up her own menu, Charmaine said, "Don't worry. I know how it is."

Putting down the menu, Raymond smiled at her and took her hand in his. "Did I tell you how lucky I am?"

Looking up at him, Charmaine asked, "Lucky in what way?"

"Lucky that I have you," Raymond said bluntly and kissed the knuckles of her hand.

The touch of his lips sent a tingling sensation through Charmaine. She felt herself blush and shyly removed her hand to pick up the menu again. After a slight pause, she asked, "Can you be honest with me on something?"

Still smiling at her, Raymond said tenderly, "Sure."

Raymond expected her to ask some sort of personal question but instead she asked straightfaced, "Do you prefer wine or water?"

Raymond's brows knitted together at her question, "Huh?"

Charmaine laughed at his confused expression. "I ordered you a glass of sparkling water but then thought that you might prefer wine."

Raymond couldn't care less on what she ordered. She could order him a jug of vinegar and he would still drink it just to please her. "Anything is fine with me."

Charmaine laughed and teased, "Are you sure? Don't force yourself."

Raymond turned serious and kept his gaze on her. "I've never been more sure."

Charmaine heard the double meaning in his words and felt a warmness flow through her. She had made the right decision in being with him.

===========================================================
Myolie walked aimlessly down the street trying to figure out what to have for lunch. She hated herself for turning down Bosco's lunch invitation. But at that time, she wouldn't have known that the witness was so well prepared. They finished the prep in less than an hour. She did call Bosco but he was already in the middle of lunch with Jessica. Oh well. She stopped in front of a noodle shop and was about to enter when she heard someone call her name. Turning around she saw Linda trotting towards her.

"Hi Linda."

Linda smiled at Myolie. "I was on my way to your office to see Raymond."

"Raymond? He's out to lunch now."

Linda hooked her arm with Myolie's and said, "That's ok. Did you eat yet?"

Stunned by Linda's action, Myolie shook her head, "I was about to eat in here."

Linda looked in at the noodle shop. "Why don't we eat together."

Myolie smiled warily. She felt odd going to lunch with Linda. She didn't know her at all having only seen her a few times with Raymond. She wasn't sure of what their relationship was. She suspected that they were dating but Raymond didn't seem that interested or involved with Linda whenever they were together. Myolie remembered at last year's Christmas party. Raymond had came with Linda but he spent the entire evening flirting with the waitresses, while Linda sat quietly to the side without saying a word. It was then Myolie knew that Raymond doesn't feel for Linda what she obviously does for him. What a pity. Myolie had known Raymond for some time now and doubt he would ever be satisfied with just one woman or even know what love is. Still, she will not judge him. After all, Raymond is Bosco's best friend. Any friend of Bosco's is her friend too. Just the thought of Bosco brought a smile to her face.

"Myolie?"

Myolie looked at Linda. "Sorry. I must have spaced out."

Linda chuckled and asked, "So are we getting lunch together?"

Myolie smiled and looked at her watch. She hadn't realize how late it was already. Apologetically she said, "Next time. I have to return to the office now."

Linda smiled in return. "I'll go with you."