Chapter 31

Lethal Love

Charmaine was in the kitchen scrambling eggs for their breakfast. More like lunch, since it was getting close to noon. The toast had been buttered and the sausage was keeping warm in the toaster oven. She scooped the eggs up into two separate plates and walked out to set it on the dining table. Next she brought out two cups of coffee and then the plate of buttered toast. She almost forgotten about the sausage and went back into the kitchen to retrieve it.

Raymond came out of the bathroom and hugged her from behind, giving her a light kiss on the cheek. "I thought I was in charge of the cooking?"

Turning around in his embrace, she wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him lightly on the lips. "You are but we could swap places every now and then. Since I cooked, you're going to do the dishes."

Raymond's hands automatically came up to rest on her waist. "I knew you would want me to do something in return," he teased. He could not believe that he was finally with Charmaine. His heart still flutters at the very sight of her. All he wants to do every day is see Charmaine and spend time with her. Drawned by her sweet fragrance, he leaned down and captured her lips in a passionate kiss.

Charmaine pulled away and gasped, "The food is getting cold!"

Raymond laughed and let go of her. He sat himself down while Charmaine went into the bathroom. Raymond was drinking his coffee when the doorbell rang. He got up to answer the door and was surprised to see Kevin.

If Raymond was surprised, Kevin was more so. "I must have gotten the wrong address," Kevin stammered and turned around to leave. He had taken only a step when he heard Charmaine's voice calling out from within the apartment, "Who's at the door?"

Kevin turned abruptly back to look into the apartment and found himself looking straight at Charmaine. What was Raymond doing in her apartment. At first, Kevin thought he had gotten the wrong address or perhaps she had moved and forgot to tell him. Without preliminaries he looked at Charmaine and bitterly asked, "What is Raymond doing here?"

Charmaine didn't speak, frightened by Kevin's hostility. She took an involuntary step backward.

Raymond placed his arm around Charmaine's shoulder and challenged, "I'm her boyfriend and I live here with her."

Kevin flickered a glance at Raymond before returning to look at Charmaine. Through clenched teeth he said, "When I last asked you, you said you were not interested in going out with anyone."

Although he did not know the exact details of their conversation or the extent of their relationship, Raymond got a hint that Kevin had been pursuing Charmaine and he did not like that at all. In a possesive manner, he pushed Charmaine behind him and in a low voice said, "That was then. She is with me now."

Kevin ignored Raymond and continued to look at Charmaine. "Charmaine? Can you answer for yourself?"

Charmaine walked up to Kevin, despite Raymond's effort to keep her shield behind him. "I'm sorry Kevin. That was truly how I felt at that time."

Kevin stood calmly watching Charmaine. After a moment of silence he spoke, "I see."

Raymond didn't know why but just seeing the way Kevin looked at Charmaine made his blood boil. "Nice of you to drop by but Charmaine and I were in the middle of eating. Perhaps we could get together another time."

Kevin glared at Raymond, "Of course." He then turned to Charmaine and softened his expression. "Regardless of who you're with, you know that I will always be there for you."

Having enough of Kevin's presence, Raymond practically pushed Kevin out the door. "Thanks and goodbye," he gushed and slammed the door on Kevin's back.

Kevin clenched his fist and walked towards the elevator. Nobody messes with him, and the lovely couple will soon find that out for themselves.