Goodnight

Heart of Ice

Kai stepped out of the van and crouched behind it; his heart was practically about to beat out of his chest. Nervous didn't even begin to describe how he was feeling. The fact that the guards were all loaded with guns didn't help either.

 

"This was a stupid idea," he mumbled as he peeked around the left side of the van to the loading dock door, "but I can't go back now..." Stealthily.... well, somewhat stealthily (as he accidently stumbled) made his way to the door, pressing his body against the wall beside it. He slowly gripped his sleep dart gun, silently unsheathing it, and uttered a prayer as he willed his heart to calm it's loud beating - it was almost deafening to him. This fear was new to him... after all he was supposed to be Kim Jongin, the cool guy who wasn't afraid of anything, but now as he stood outside that abandoned warehouse he realized just how unsensical that thinking was. He was human; sometimes even he forgot that. He forgot that it was okay to show emotion... that it is okay to be afraid... but most of all, that it's okay to love.

 

In a way, he always feared emotions. "Emotions make you weak," his father would say as he downed yet another glass of wine. Being weak was always the enemy; being rich and powerful was the main priority in the Kim household - now he realized how wrongly he had been raised. To love and to be loved didn't make him weak... it made him stronger. What was the point in having every material item in the world if you're going to be alone? That was the true meaning of having everything yet having nothing. Love and friendship was everything to him now... and he'd be damned if he let anything ruin it for him. And with that in mind, he slowly opened the door to the warehouse.

 

---

 

The door creaked as it opened, earning a few "huh"'s and "what was that"'s from the guards in the building. ',' Kai thought as he slid inside the building and crouched down behind a stack of wooden crates positioned a few feet to the right.

 

"You guys heard that, right?" a guard asked as he walked to the door, shining his flashlight on it.

 

"Yeah," another guard answered and walked up behind him, "you see anyone, Kyu?" He too started looking around with his flashight all the while a highly anxious Kai prayed that they wouldn't look too hard.

 

"Nah," Kyuhyun responded, "maybe it was nothing... it's an old building after all."

 

"True," the other responded, "lets get back to work."

 

"Yeah," Kyuhyun responded before walking away with the other male.

 

"Whew..." Kai sighed quietly and stood up; now was his chance to scope out the inside and find out just where his mother is being kept.

 

With the night vision goggles, he could see the two guards that were just over in his area plus 3 others. Not to mention that there was two guards upstairs... how the hell was he going to get past all of them?!

 

"Luhan..." Kai whispered into his headset.

 

What is it? Luhan asked. You find her yet?

 

"I just got in here," Kai grumbled irritably, "but there's a ton of guards in here patroling... how do I go about this?"

 

This is the whole reason I turned off the lights. Use the shadows to your advantage. When guards patrol they usually follow the same pattern so work around that... geez, don't you know anything? Maybe I should've went instead. Luhan nagged.

 

"Don't be a smartass," Kai growled but he knew Luhan was right - as much as he hated to admit it.

 

Luhan snickered. Be careful out there. The bluetooth then went silent.

 

'Okay... lets assess the situation,' Kai thought and watched the guards trying to memorize their movements. 'If I travel along the wall to the right, I'll end up at the stairs... the third ground guard is the only one who goes near there so once he turns around, I'm okay. However, the real problem lies with the second guard upstairs because he'll be coming around as I'm going up the stairs,' Kai ruffled his hair in frustration, 'aigoo... what do I do?!' And then it hit him - 'I'll create a distraction!'

 

"I swear sometimes I'm pretty brilliant," Kai quietly praised himself and started slinking around the right wall, being careful to avoid any obstacles that would make noise. 'So far so good...' he thought as he finally approached the stairs, 'now time for the distraction.'

 

He picked up a random piece of debris and threw it at the farthest of the three doors upstairs. A loud "CLANG" resonated throughout partially empty building and immediately all flashlights shined on the area.

 

"Don't just stand there like idiots," Kyu growled, "you two up there, go check it out."

 

"Is that any way to speak to your hyungs?" a more heavy-set guy upstairs said as he made his way to check out the noise.

 

The other guard nodded his agreement. "Shindong's right." He then joined Shindong on his way to the door.

 

"Fine. Sungmin, Shindong.... mianhae." Kyuhyun said through clenched teeth and walked away mumbled things under his breath.

 

'Now's my chance!' Kai thought and swiftly made his way up the stairs. He quietly slipped into the first room he saw and with a quick glance around he couldn't believe his luck - his mother was tied to a chair in the middle of the room. "Eomma!" he exclaimed in a hushed tone.

 

Her head quickly popped up. "Mmm!" A piece of cloth was tied around her head and mouth preventing her from speaking. 

 

"It's okay, I'm going to get you out of here," he told her as he walked over. Kai fumbled with the knot tying the cloth around for a few moments before successfully removing it.

 

"You've got to get out of here right now, Kai!" his mother warned, "he's-"

 

"-right here." A person stepped out from behind a stack of boxes in the corner; his gun aimed right at Kai. "I knew you'd show up sooner than later."

 

"You... it's you from last time," Kai said and raised his own gun. 'It's the same guy was holding my mom captive before!'

 

"Don't tell me you missed me?" teased the male.

 

"Why do you work for my stepmother?" Kai questioned forcefully. "What is it you have to gain from doing this?"

 

"Revenge." The male strided forward coolly. "Tell me... don't I look familiar?"

 

Kai narrowed his eyes, looking hard at the older yet young looking male. He observed everything from his piercing eyes to his chiseled jawline. 'It looks like him but can it be....?' 

 

"D...Donghae?"

 

"Ah, yes," Donghae chuckled, "how does it feel to be at my mercy? Now the shoe is on the other foot... and I must say, the shoe is quite nice."

 

"That was so long ago though I-"

 

"-You made me look like a fool in front of everyone! Everyday was a living hell for me because of you... you know, you were quite the bully Kai." The sound of Donghae's enraged breathing filled the room.

 

"I... I'm sorry," was all Kai could think to say. What else could he say? He couldn't turn back the hands of time and prevent himself from ever bullying Donghae. As he grew up, he realized how shameful his behavior was and wanted to make it up to him but it was too late - Donghae moved out of town long before then.

 

"Do you honestly think a half-assed apology would change anything?" Donghae prodded, looking agitated. "I want you to go through pain just like I had to!" He then aimed his gun at the back of Kai's mother's head. "And I know the best way to do it."

 

"No!" Kai screamed, "please... not her... let her go and I'll let you do whatever you want with me."

 

"Are you really in any position to bargain with me? However..." Donghae rubbed his chin, "your offer is quite tempting."

 

"Then take it," Kai replied as calmly as he could, "you can release all your pent-up anger on me. That's true revenge."

 

"Fine, release her," Donghae said with a wave of his hand, "but just know that you'll be taking her place."

 

"I'm okay with that as long as you don't lay a finger on her," Kai said as he untied his mother from the chair.

 

"Don't do this," she pleaded, "my job is to protect you! I just want you to be safe..."

 

"Don't worry, I won't break so easily," Kai replied with a smile, "now go... I.... I l-love you eomma."

 

"But-"

 

"Go before I kill you both right here and now!" Donghae screeched and pointed his gun at her.

 

"I love you too, my son." She quickly dashed out of the room, determined to find someone to help her son.

 

"Finally we're alone," Donghae teased, "take a seat. Resist and I'll kill you on the spot; and while you're at it, drop your gun as well."

 

Kai obediantly dropped his gun and sat down, watching as Donghae strod over and began roughly tying him to the chair. "Oh how I've been waiting for this day!" Donghae said proudly as he finished. "You know, you don't look half bad all tied up."

 

"What are you going to do to me?" Kai growled.

 

"Something I've been wanting to do for a long time." And with that, he raised his gun and pointed it at Kai's chest. "Goodnight Kim Jongin..." His finger squeezed the trigger sending a bullet flying into Kai's chest.

 

And that's when everything went dark~~ 

 

 

 

 

 


GUISE. DON'T HATE ME. 

I didn't want this chapter to be too long. T__T I'm the worst with cliffhangers and sorry for not updating earlier! I swear I'm going to work harder to finish this story soon! <3 Thanks all!