Liar

Heart of Ice

~Afternoon in California~

 

Jen sighed, resting her head in her hands as she sat alone in the lunchroom. Since Kai’s last text, she hadn’t heard a word from him. She twirled her noodles around her chopsticks only to let them slide off again and repeated the process… over and over and over again until she just decided that there was no point in sitting there pathetically. She picked up her tray and got up with it, bumping straight into someone.

 

“Aish, why does everyone bump into me like I’m not here?” Kai complained before breaking out into a smile.

 

“Y-You’re here…” Jen breathed. Kai took her tray and put it back on the table.

 

“Why wouldn’t I be?” Kai raised an eyebrow in questioning, “I just… I had to see you.” Kai suddenly grabbed her hand and Jen’s eyes widened.

 

“What are you-,” Jen began.

 

“These next few days are going to be harsher than you could ever imagine,” Kai explained and squeezed her hand tighter, “so I’m going to ask you again… are you sure you can stick by my side?” The scene was already attracting the attention of the other students – it was like a sea of cellphones and all were pointed at Jen and Kai taking either pictures or video. “Because if not, you can let go of my hand right now.”

 

“Kai, you…” Jen faltered and looked down at their intertwined hands, “What is all this?”

 

“I’m giving you an option,” Kai answered and pulled her a bit closer, “I’m going to try to build a life for us but… it won’t be easy. You’ll hate me, you’ll cry, you’ll run away… I understand that; however, if you believe your love for me can weather all of that, keep hold of my hand and never let go no matter what.”

 

Jen cleared and looked away to all the students watching them but Kai turned her head back to face him again. “Damnit Jen… don’t pay any attention to them! Just look at me… trust me… and everything will be fine. I’ll make everything okay.”

 

“Then yes… I trust you,” Jen said with a tearful smile and gripped his hand tighter. Kai returned the smile and turned to face to crowd of students watching them.

 

“I want you all to know that I, Kim Jongin, am dating her, Jenny Park,” Kai announced, looking dead serious, “and if anyone has a problem with that, you’ll have to deal with me.” The crowd of students grew deathly silent as Kai sent his sharp gaze around to everyone watching. “As many of you already know, I show no mercy and I won’t go back on my word now. So just try and come between us… I dare you.” Kai then looked back at Jen and dragged her out of the cafeteria.

 

---

 

“I thought you would keep things quiet,” Jen mumbled as the two walked outside around the campus.

 

“What good would that do?” Kai questioned, “I have to lay all my cards on the table as of now… I have to know who my enemies are and deal with them upfront.”

 

“You’re really confident, aren’t you?” Jen asked softly, keeping her eyes trained on the ground.

 

“Don’t you trust me?” Kai avoided her question. He stopped walking and looked at her, lifting her head up so she wasn’t looking at the ground anymore.

 

“O-Of course-,” Jen began, already faltering with her statement.

 

“You’re lying,” Kai interjected spitefully and let go of her hand, “I should’ve known…” He ran his hand through his hair and his lips. “Why did you keep holding my hand if you knew you weren’t strong enough?”

 

“I’m not lying!” Jen exclaimed, “I just… I’m scared, okay?!”

 

“And you don’t think I’m scared too?!” Kai yelled back, his eyes getting slightly clouded with tears, “I’m scared that I’m not going to be able to do all the things I said back there! I’m scared that… that I’m going to lose you in the process! That… that scares me the most – to know that I may fail you.”

 

“Kai…” was all Jen managed to say as she looked up at him. The fiery zeal in his eyes was so sincere… so pure… she knew he meant every single word.

 

“I’m willing to risk everything… the fame and fortune… everything – I’ll lose everything just to be able to wake up beside you for the next 60 years of my life,” Kai continued in his rant of passion, “yet you’re not willing to even put an ounce of trust in me? …Unbelievable.” He sighed after his rant and looked into Jen’s eyes for the longest time – it almost seemed as if time slowed down to a halt.

 

Jen tried to talk again but Kai interrupted her again. “I just wanted to know that at least if I get weak and fall down, you’ll be there to pick me up and keep cheering me on. I… I can’t do this on my own, Jen… so I’ll ask you for the very last time – are you going to stick by my side?”

 

Jen drew a deep breath, taking in every word he just said. She loved him, yes, but did she really want him to lose everything because of her? A part of her wanted to throw herself into his arms and to comfort him but… what he was asking would make her selfish. Selfish that she was choosing herself over Kai’s bright future – he was going to inherit a world-renowned business and marry some beautiful heiress… he would become nothing if he threw that away for a love they weren’t even fully sure of themselves.

 

“Kai… I… I’m sorry I misled you earlier,” Jen began softly, “but I… I don’t think I should stick by your side. I’m sorry…”

 

“Maybe Luhan was right about you,” Kai replied, “Maybe you are just as heartless as he said…” Kai took a few steps backward and swiftly turned around, walking away from her leaving her to drown in her own misery.

 

---

 

“Do you see this?!” Jessica yelled as she ed her cellphone in front of Kai’s stepmother’s face, playing a video that had gone viral just an hour ago. It was a video of Kai admitting to dating Jen.

 

“What is this?” Mrs. Kim asked as she looked at the video with scrutinizing eyes. ‘This girl is causing more trouble that I thought…’ she thought then waved the phone away. Jessica practically threw her phone back in her sparkly pink purse and sat down in the chair in front of Mrs. Kim’s desk.

 

“He’s made a fool out of me!” Jessica whined and wiped away her tears, “I feel so stupid… How could he do this to me?!”

 

“Well you’re not the only one he’s embarrassed,” Mrs. Kim spat and slammed her hand down on the table, “He’s bringing shame to this household! This boy… will he ever learn? I do my best to provide for him and this is the thanks I get?!”

 

“I really love him, Mrs. Kim,” Jessica sobbed, her head hung. She was constantly wiping her tears and sniffling and Mrs. Kim just sighed.

 

“Call me Eomeoni… no need to talk to me as if I’m a stranger,” Mrs. Kim said and stood up, walking around her desk to stand near Jessica. She awkwardly patted the poor girl’s back and handed her a box of tissues.

 

“Gamsahamnida Eomeoni,” Jessica sniffled and softly blew her nose into a tissue before tossing it into the garbage can.

 

“Don’t worry too much, he’s just rebelling,” Mrs. Kim assured, “I’ll make sure I put him in his place.”

 

“H-How?” Jessica stuttered and looked up at Mrs. Kim. A faint glimmer of hope kindled in her heart but it was too soon to get her hopes high. She knew Kai never loved her… she knew it all along but no matter how many times he rejected her, she couldn’t find the gall to give up because if she did, then she’d truly lose everything.

 

“You leave that to me,” Mrs. Kim replied and walked back around her desk to stare out of the window, “Let’s just say… I know something, no someone, more precious to him than Jen… and he’ll do anything to keep her safe, even marry you.”

 

“M-Marry… me?” Jessica repeated in shock. She couldn’t believe what her ears just heard… marrying Kai has been a wish of hers from so long ago. Growing up with him made her love for him solidified… she practically always pictured their future together. She wanted to wake him up in the morning and cook him breakfast and raise his children… these were the things that constantly occupied her mind. A dream come true is what it is. “You mean that? You could get him to marry me?”

 

“Yes, of course,” Mrs. Kim confirmed and clasped her hands together behind her back, “That stubborn boy doesn’t know what he wants… I’m sure he loves you too.”

 

“You… really think so?” Jessica asked skeptically. She always believed that Kai hated her… especially since he did nothing but push her away since they were young.

 

“Kang Sun Ji,” Mrs. Kim stated, “He once liked a girl by the name… he always pushed her away but only because he was afraid of getting close to her. If you had seen him all torn up when she moved away… aish, Kai just doesn’t know how to portray his feelings, that’s all.”

 

Mrs. Kim lied so easily… it was natural for her to toy with people’s feelings.

 

And Jessica was soaking up every word…

 

“Jinjja?!” Jessica exclaimed happily, “I knew it! I knew there had to be a reason for him being so cold towards me all the time!”

 

Mrs. Kim turned around to look at Jessica’s hopeful face with a fake smile. “And that’s why I’m going to ask a favor of you… well, not necessarily a favor but I just need you to lay low, okay? Don’t tell the press anything happening between you and Kai and let me handle everything.”

 

“Ne Eomeoni!” Jessica happily ran behind her desk and pulled her into a tight hug, “You’re the best!”

 

“Ah… ah, okay!” Mrs. Kim squirmed out of Jessica’s bear hug and let out an awkward laugh/sigh, “Now go on and get some rest… it seems you need it.”

 

“I’ll see you later, okay? And next time I’ll bring plenty of snacks~!” Jessica sang as she skipped out of her office.

 

Mrs. Kim let out a heavy sigh and collapsed in her desk chair. She picked up the phone and quickly dialed a number. “Yes, the time has come.”

 

“It’s your call, ma’am,” a male voice responded.

 

“Bring her to me… bring me his real mother,” Mrs. Kim requested.

 

 

 

 

 


 

Things are about to get really interesting ^w^ Stick around, ne? Thanks for reading and patiently awaiting for an update! (: