They...

Heart of Ice

~Back in Korea~

 

Kai once again had on his sunglasses on and stared out of the car window. His face was still stinging from where his stepmother had slapped him but nothing hurt more than his bruised ego. He was embarrassed in front of the entire workforce at W&M and now the news of him “dating” Jessica was already spreading like wildfire all over the Internet.

 

Kai checked his phone earlier and saw many posts on social networks already about them dating – some were good and some… not so much. Some people accused Kai of only dating Jessica to get close to the CEO for the merger while others genuinely supported the new “couple”.

 

Kai didn’t like either interpretation of the situation – he didn’t want anything to do with Jessica much less have to date her. Who said he necessarily had to anyway… the merger didn’t mean that much to him. He could just deny the dating rumors and see the merger fall through the cracks.

 

But then he realized something – that would make him seem as if he used Jessica for the merger.

 

‘Damn… she really thought everything through,’ he thought resentfully and balled up his hands into fists.

 

He was so deep in his thoughts that he was startled when his phone began to ring and he answered it with a small sigh:

 

“Yeoboseyo?” Kai answered.

 

“Mr. Kim, all your stuff is ready at the hotel,” his other assistant informed him.

 

“No, pack it all up again,” Kai said with a tinge of bitterness in his voice, “I won’t be staying in Korea overnight.”

 

“Ne, I understand. I’ll pack everything up right away,” his assistant responded before hanging up the phone.

 

Kai put his phone back in his pocket and leaned back in his seat. He was more than ready to get out of Korea. Hell, he didn’t even want to return. This place would forever hold nothing but bad memories for him.

 

They arrived at the hotel Kai intended on staying at and his assistant stood outside waiting for them to come. Kai got out of the car and helped her load his luggage back into the car – this was something he never did before.

 

His assistant looked at him oddly as if saying ‘you’re actually helping me?’ “Thank you, sir,” she said before getting into the car.

 

Kai became a little awkward due to her thanking him but he responded with a quick nod and got in the car as well.

 

Thirty minutes later they arrived at the airport and Kai immediately saw them – the paparazzi were still there. They were constantly on the hunt for any celebrities or political leaders they could harass and soon Kai was to become their victim… again.

 

Kai got out of the car hurriedly and began to make his way to the ticket center of the airport. He made it about halfway before being recognized by a reporter and soon, more and more reporters began to surround Kai.

 

“So Kai, are the rumors true? Are you dating Jessica?” one reporter asked.

 

“Did you date her as a way to settle the merger?” another reporter questioned.

 

“Why did you leave the meeting before the press conference?” a third reporter asked.

 

“I’m not answering any questions at the moment,” Kai stated firmly and began slightly aggressively pushing his way through the crowd of reporters. ‘Reporters are always so nosey,’ he thought bitterly with his jaw tightly clenched. It was taking everything in him not to explode right on the spot.

 

He finally was able to make his way up to the ticket center and managed to swipe a few good plane tickets back to California.

 

‘Home sweet home here I come…’

 

---

 

~Back in California~

 

“My mother, she… Her death… it was my fault,” Luhan said so quietly that Jen barely heard him, “I killed her… Because I lived… she died.”

 

“Luhan…” Jen breathed, her voice barely above a whisper, “what are you saying?”

 

Luhan looked away from her with a sad smile and then stood up and walked away a little bit. “I’m sorry… I don’t know why I’m telling you this.”

 

Jen quickly stood up and faced him. “I-,”

 

“Please forget I ever said anything,” Luhan interrupted with a small, fake smile.

 

“No, I’m not going to forget,” Jen said defiantly, “I’m not going to just sit around and pretend to not notice your sadness. I see it Luhan… I’m not stupid.”

 

“I never-,” Luhan began.

 

“Why can’t you just talk to me?” Jen sighed sadly, cutting him off before his could finish his sentence.

 

“I don’t want your pity, okay?!” Luhan exclaimed suddenly, “I don’t want you to feel obligated to be around me just because I told you my sob story… I want you to be here for me – the real me.”

 

“So that’s what you think of me?” Jen asked quietly, “You think I’m only here because I pity you?”

 

At her question, Luhan broke their eye contact and looked away silently. It was really dark outside now but Jen could still obviously see the deepening frown on his face.

 

Jen walked up to him and hugged him while standing on her tippy toes. “I’m here because you’re my friend and I want to see you happy. I want to help you but you keep pushing me away.”

 

Again – no response from Luhan… he didn’t even return the hug.

 

But Jen heard one thing… sniffling.

 

“Stop Jen…” Luhan pleaded, slightly shaking from crying.

 

“No,” Jen answered firmly and hugged him tighter.

 

“Damnit Jen, get off of m-me!” Luhan cried, his voice cracking with emotion.

 

Jen shook her head ‘no’ and clung to him even tighter. “I’m not letting go.”

 

“Why? Why must you do this to me?” Luhan asked as he gave up and cried silently, his shoulders heaving up and down.

 

Jen looked up to see glistening tears rolling down his face and wiped them away with her hand. “You’re not in this alone.”

 

Luhan sighed and grabbed her hand, holding it in his. “Can you guarantee that?”

 

“No,” Jen said while shaking her head, “but I can guarantee that I’ll try my best to be there for you.”

 

“Can you be there for me now?” Luhan asked softly, not looking at her and slowly let go of her hand.

 

“I’m here, aren’t I?” Jen questioned with a delicate smile, “You can talk to me.”

 

Luhan once again looked hesitant then cleared his throat before running a hand through his hair. “My mom… she had complications during her pregnancy with me. The doctor even suggested abortion… to which my d-dad fully supported.”

 

Jen let a small gasp escape her lips while listening to Luhan’s story. How could a dad support killing an innocent unborn child? His innocent unborn child?

 

“My mom decided to have me despite all that… she didn’t care about her own life as long as I lived. And I did live… but she died. She survived the birth but became deathly ill and died about 5 years later…” Luhan continued with fresh tears once again streaming down his face.

 

He wasn’t the only one crying now however – Jen was crying too.

 

‘So that’s how he believes he killed her… because she got sick after having him,’ Jen thought sadly, as she bit the corner of her trembling bottom lip.

 

“Luhan… that isn’t your fault,” Jen stated quietly.

 

“If she had aborted me, she would still be alive today,” Luhan mumbled faintly.

 

“Yeah but you wouldn’t be!” Jen cried and hit him hard on the chest, “Did you ever think about that?!”

 

“Ahh Jen what the-,” Luhan began while rubbing the aching spot on his chest.

 

“You were an innocent unborn child and mothers do anything for their children – even giving up their own lives,” Jen said, “Your mother loved you so much that she willingly gave up her life for you… that isn’t your fault. She loves you and now you need to love yourself. Stop letting yourself believe that you killed her and stop letting your dad put you down!”

 

Luhan blinked a few times while staring at the girl standing before him. She had a strong look of burning determination in her eyes. “Jen I-,”

 

“No, Luhan,” Jen interjected and wiped away her tears, “just don’t say anything.”

 

Luhan was absolutely shocked with the way Jen was talking to him. She looked so upset since she heard his story… that’s why he didn’t want to say anything. He didn’t want that to be something he was known for… he didn’t want anyone to pity him… he just wanted to be treated normally.

 

“I’m sorry I upset you…” Luhan sighed.

 

“I just d-don’t want you saying that you wish she aborted you instead…” Jen said and wiped away a few stray tears, “How could you say something like that?”

 

“I’m sorry,” Luhan repeated softly.

 

They stared at each other for a while – neither of them saying a thing. There was no need to. They both knew exactly how the other was feeling.

 

“Thank you,” Luhan said, breaking the silence that fell upon them.

 

“Hmm?” Jen hummed confusedly.

 

“For listening to me,” Luhan answered with a smile.

 

“You don’t have to thank me for something a friend should do,” Jen said and dried her eyes completely before flashing a bright smile at Luhan.

 

‘Yeah… friend,’ Luhan thought while frowning. He didn’t want to just be “friends” – he wanted more than that. Spending today with Jen was one of the best days of his life.

 

Jen noticed the frown and nudged him. “What’s wrong?”

 

“I just… I…” Luhan trailed off as he then slowly began edging closer and closer to her face.

 

And closer and closer and closer…

 

Until his lips met hers.

 

---

 

Sunny’s P.O.V:

 

‘Oh my god…’ she thought while seeing the scene with Luhan and Jen unfolding before her, ‘he kissed her!’

 

Sunny had overheard Luhan talking to Kyungsoo about going to the boardwalk at night so she decided that she would go there as well but she was too late… Jen was already there by the time she arrived.  Now Jen was spending the time with Luhan that she was supposed to. Her not Jen!

 

And now… now she witnessed them kissing

 

“That is it!” Sunny whispered aggressively, “Jenny Park, you’re going down.”

 

She crept out from behind the brush she was hiding behind and began walking away back to her car while wiping away her angry, hate-filled tears. ‘This time I’m going to make sure you leave… for good.’

 

 

 

 

 


I think everyone is happily shocked with this update xD Things are getting interesting keke~

*evil smirk* >;3

Enjoy and don't forget to comment/upvote! <3