Realization

Heart of Ice

Jen’s eyes slowly cracked open to see a pearly white ceiling and a gold chandelier with bulbs of twinkling lights. As everything came into focus around her and she widened her eyes, she looked around the room, observing every single detail from the fancy gold detailed armchair in the corner to the huge king-sized bed she was laying on to the vibrant red walls, which contrasted with the white plush carpet.

 

‘Where am I?’ Jen thought as she sat up. She squeezed her eyes shut as her head throbbed and she rubbed her temples. ‘This headache is killer…’

 

She looked down to see that she was still wearing her clothes from earlier save from the fluffy eggshell colored robe that was on her. She sat up and ran her hand over the soft material and she bit down her quivering bottom lip. The dull pain in and the more she looked at the robe, the more she was reminded of what happened earlier, as the robe was covering her tattered shirt… the tattered shirt of which the owner had cut up with his pocketknife.

 

Jen whimpered softly and grabbed a pillow, clutching it tightly to her chest to seek some form of comfort. Any source of comfort would be good right now…

 

Knock knock.

 

Jen’s head immediately snapped up to look at the door as it slowly opened and in walked…

 

Kai?

 

Kai flinched a little bit as if startled to see that she was awake. “You’re awake…”

 

Jen didn’t answer him but only continued to stare at him in disbelief – it was almost hard for her to believe he was actually there. But… what was he doing here and what exactly happened?

 

He sighed and completely walked in the room with a tray of tea and set it on her bedside. “You should drink this.”

 

The closer Jen looked at him the more she noticed deep purple bruises and small cuts on his body. “W-What… you… you’re hurt.”

 

“That doesn’t matter,” Kai said hastily and handed her a cup of tea, “Now drink.”

 

Jen obediently took the cup and took a sip but the hot tea stung her sore throat and she coughed, sputtering every now and then.

 

Kai looked alarmed and rushed to pat her on the back and eventually Jen stopped coughing. “I… that was stupid of me,” he said softly and hung his head in shame, “I’m sorry…”

 

“A-Ani…!” Jen exclaimed before clearing , “you just were trying to help…”

 

“Forgive me…” Kai said with his head still hung for a few moments before looking up at her.

 

“But… for what?” she asked in confusion and cocked her head slightly to the left. ‘What did he do wrong?’ she thought as she looked into his soft melancholy eyes. She had never seen Kai look so upset before nor has she ever heard him apologize… This was a new Kai she was seeing and she had to admit… she liked it. This Kai actually seemed like he was a human being with a heart and not the coldblooded “Ice Prince” everyone claims he is.

 

“I was too stubborn… I shouldn’t have let you go,” Kai said and then turned away from her, unable to keep the eye contact, as he felt personally responsible for her getting hurt.

 

“You-,” Jen began.

 

“I told you to never leave my sight again and you did anyway,” Kai said bitterly but Jen could tell that he was more upset than anything, “You left me…”

 

And she remembered that too – back at the campsite when he saved her from falling into the river. Kai had always been there to save her... She felt so ungrateful knowing she never treated him nicely despite all that... 

 

“I’m sorry…” Jen said softly and lowered her head.

 

Kai sighed heavily and turned back to her and gently lifted her head up. He wiped away the tears Jen didn’t even realize were streaming down her face and gulped a bit before quickly drawing away his hand.

 

“N-No… I’m sorry… I-I’m sorry I was too late to save you this time,” he said, his voice barely above a whisper and cracked with emotion. A lone tear slid down his face and he quickly wiped it away before clearing his throat awkwardly.

 

“So… you saved me?” Jen questioned and timidly grabbed his hand, holding it in hers.

 

Kai did a gesture that was between a shrug and a nod and looked at their intertwined hands with a small sad smile. “If only I had gotten there sooner…”

 

“Stop!” Jen suddenly blurted and angrily wiped away the fresh tears that had spilled from her eyes, “Please… I don’t want to hear anymore.”

 

Kai was a mixture of being utterly shocked and confused by her sudden outburst and was about to say something but Jen beat him to it. “You’ve been beating yourself up this whole time… don’t you know how grateful I am to you? Kai-ya…” she sighed and wiped away a few stray tears, “you saved me. If… if it weren’t for you I’d-,”

 

Kai then abruptly pulled Jen into his arms, stopping her mid-sentence. She struggled against his embrace for a moment before giving up and crying on his shoulder. She clasped onto him tightly as if never wanting to let him go and just let herself cry with Kai rubbing her back soothingly.

 

He whispered comforting things in her ear like: “It’ll be okay… I’m here now, no one will hurt you” as he slowly rocked back and forth on the bed.

 

“Don’t leave me…” Jen mumbled into his shoulder as she was still holding onto him as if she did ever let him go, she would feel that he would disappear forever. By now she had finally stopped crying and felt the desperate need for sleep but was afraid that he’d leave and right now, he was the only thing keeping her from falling apart.

 

“I wont… I promise,” Kai vowed and completely climbed onto the bed, lying down beside her. He hesitantly wrapped his arms around her and Jen scooted closer to him clearly approving of the comfort and security he was providing and shut her eyes.

 

‘Thank you Kai… for everything,’ was her last thought before falling asleep in his arms.

 

---

 

~Back in Korea~

 

It was now around lunch time and Kyungsoo, as arranged, sat with Minah in the cafeteria. She fed him a piece of teriyaki chicken with her chopsticks and he ate it with a smile.

 

She giggled and picked up a napkin. “You have a little…” she said as she pointed to the sauce on his cheek.

 

“Hmm?” Kyungsoo asked, his eyes growing wider as he went to wipe his face but kept missing the spot of sauce on his cheek.

 

“Here… let me get it,” she said and leaning over the table, gently wiping the sauce from his cheek and he blushed a bit.

 

“So… when did you first start singing?” Minah asked as she settled back into her seat with a smile.

 

“Since before I can even remember,” Kyungsoo answered sheepishly and rubbed the back of his neck, “and you?”

 

“Me too! … I mean, singing became sort of my way to deal with things both good and bad,” she answered with a small smile before taking a big gulp of her bubble tea.

 

‘The bad…’ Kyungsoo thought and spaced out, drifting into his own thoughts of how he used singing to help him with the ‘bad’ mostly.

 

“Yoohoo!” Minah called as she waved her hand in front of his face, “Earth to D.O!”

 

Kyungsoo blinked his wide eyes a few times then displayed an awkward, nervous smile. “Hmm?”

 

“You alright?” she asked and looked upon him with concern in her eyes, “you just randomly spaced out…”

 

“Yeah I’m-,” Kyungsoo began before hearing–

 

“Kyungsoo…”

 

He slowly turned his head to see Sunny looking at him and then she looked at Minah before turning back to him.

 

He felt an odd pang at his heart and cleared his throat. “Sunny…”

 

“Can we… I need to talk to you,” Sunny requested and stole another icy glance at Minah.

 

“I’ll be back,” Kyungsoo said to Minah and bowed shortly to her before getting up and following Sunny out of the cafeteria.

 

Sunny awkwardly fiddled with a string hanging from her shirt for a few moments before taking a deep breath. “I see you’re hanging out with Minah…”

 

Kyungsoo slowly nodded a few times and rocked on his heels slightly. Both him and Sunny had the habit of doing that whenever they felt uncomfortable – it came as natural to them as breathing…

 

Seeing them together brought a realization to Sunny – she was jealous. And not the petty jealousy she felt when she saw Luhan kiss Jen but this was genuine jealously… it was as if her heart was shattering into tiny microscopic pieces upon seeing Kyungsoo and Minah.

 

Her heart was split into two over the situation: one part felt totally oblivious to her feelings while the other half knew of them all along but was too afraid to admit her feelings to herself. At the time, she didn’t want to ruin their friendship but she ended up doing that anyway and now she was losing him to another girl… She felt stupid for pushing Kyungsoo away all these years just to go after a guy that didn’t care for her at all in a romantic way.

 

‘All this wasted time going after Luhan… aish, what have I done?’ she thought and bit her trembling lip. Her nervousness was beginning to kick in and couldn’t stop her entire body from shuddering slightly.

 

“What did you have to tell me?” Kyungsoo asked with a hint of impatience in his voice.

 

“I… I want… I want a chance t-to,” Sunny began but then took a deep breath to collect herself before speaking again, “I want a chance to be with you…”

 

His eyes widened upon hearing her words and he felt his heart skip a beat but…

 

“Sunny I-,” Kyungsoo began.

 

“I know it’s sudden but… I’ve now realized how wrong I’ve been all these years,” Sunny continued, “Its always been you… you were the one I fell in love with… not Luhan. I was just too scared to admit it to myself but not anymore…”

 

“You… I…” Kyungsoo breathed but couldn’t find the right words to say. As Sunny said, it was indeed all too sudden.

 

“I love you Kyungsoo,” Sunny proclaimed as she looked into his huge, deep brown eyes, “I know that now and all I want is for you to give me a chance.”

 

“But… I… I don’t know if I love you anymore…” Kyungsoo said.

 

 

 

 


Ohoho~ shocker xD keke 

Thanks for reading everyone! I'll make a chapter from Kai's POV so you know what happened and everything he's thinking, okay? ^w^