With... him?!

Heart of Ice

Luhan and Jen walked silently beside one another to the Common’s dorm hall – the Common’s hall certainly lived up to it’s name.  It was very “common” indeed and seemingly neglected compared to the rest of the campus. It wasn’t of the stylish Greek architecture… it was made of simple bricks that looked tattered from age. A rusty flagpole stood in the front of the dorm hall and the flag waved every which way in the wind.

 

“So… this is it?” Jen asked skeptically while looking at the run down building.

 

Luhan nodded slowly and walked up the front steps, opening the door for Jen and she walked in. “This is it…” he confirmed.

 

The inside of the Common’s hall was just as run-down as the outside. The eggshell colored paint was chipping off in the lounge area and majority of the tacky, light blue floor tiles were either worn or peeling upwards. A set of wooden stairs stood before the two, leading up to the second floor.

 

Jen had a look of disappointment on her face as she analyzed her surroundings. “Oh this is… this should be fine,” she lied but only to remain optimistic – she didn’t want to jump to any assumptions about this place just yet.

 

Luhan just smirked knowing that she couldn’t possibly believe that. “What’s your dorm number?” he asked wanting to change the subject.

 

“12,” Jen responded simply. She hated having to live in such a dump compared to the rest of the school – not that she was being ungrateful or “spoiled” but she expected better considering that this was a very elitist school.

 

Luhan began walking up the wooden stairs with Jen following close behind him. The stairs creaked loudly under their weight as they made their way up the stairs and onto the second floor. They walked down a hallway until they reached room number 12 and then Luhan turned to face Jen. “Well, here you are,” he said and set down her luggage.

 

Jen set down her luggage as well and flashed a small smile at Luhan. “I owe you so much. I don’t know how I could ever repay you.”

 

“You can repay half of your debt by telling me your name,” Luhan said with a smirk.

 

“My… name?” Jen repeated quietly and glanced at the ground before looking back up at him, “my name is Jen or Jennie – either one is fine.”

 

“Okay then Jen,” Luhan said with slight amusement and tucked his hands in his pockets, “as for paying off the rest of the debt… well, you’ll just have to find that out later.” His lips pulled back into another smirk and he turned around, heading out of the dorm hall.

 

Jen called after him. “Wait! Tell me what it is!” Luhan, however, continued to walk until he was out of sight – he didn’t even hesitate or bother to look back at her. ‘Aish!’ she thought when he disappeared from her sight.

 

---

 

Jen finally managed to pull all four suitcases into her personal dorm room and then threw herself down on the bed. The school day hadn’t even begun yet and she had already encountered too much drama. Jen had never been one to enjoy drama – she always tried to avoid it as best as she could. But then she remembered her experience back at the airport. ‘Why did I have to yell at him?’ she asked and covered her face with the pillow, ‘now I’m on some naughty list but… he wouldn’t really hurt me… would he?’

 

Jen’s worried thoughts seemed to fade away as she yawned and flipped on her side, slightly squirming around to get into a more comfortable sleeping position. One thing she desperately needed right now was sleep… and sleep she did – Jen fell asleep within a matter of seconds.

 

---

 

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

 

The alarm clock on Jen’s phone rung excessively until she clumsily turned it off. She slowly sat up and rubbed the sleep out of her eyes. ‘I feel like I got no sleep at all,’ she thought as she stumbled out of bed and made her way to the bathroom.

 

Though it was afternoon, Jen still did her morning routine – her routine that consisted of showering, brushing her teeth, fixing her appearance, and grabbing some breakfast. She didn’t feel like making herself breakfast so she decided that she would grab a snack from the snack machine on her way out.

 

Jen looked at herself in her bathroom mirror to make sure that she looked okay. She wasn’t used to having to wear a uniform but it didn’t seem too bad. The pleated skirt and jacket were dark grey while the dress shirt and knee-high socks were white. A small golden patch was on the front of the jacket that had the college’s emblem on it.

 

She smoothed down a few strands of hair and smiled confidently at herself – she thought she actually looked pretty nice for her first day at school. She at least wanted to start off this day well but having a nice appearance wasn’t going to change anything… and Jen was about to find that out real soon.

 

---

 

 

Jen was walking throughout the campus while snacking on a bag of chips and noticed that everyone kept staring at her. ‘Do I really stick out that much because I’m new?’ she thought anxiously and quickly made her way to her classroom. No one was in the classroom yet so Jen sighed in relief. Everyone’s names were written neatly on their desks and when she saw her desk, she gasped.

 

Vulgar, crude insults were carved into the desk along with a few offensive drawings. . . Beggar. Fatty. Ugly.

 

Jen ran her fingers over the words carved into her desk and her bottom lip trembled. Who would say such horrible things about her already? They didn’t even know her…

 

Jen bitterly wiped away the tears forming in the corners of her eyes and placed her books on her desk so she wouldn’t have to see it anymore.

 

The culprits of the vandalism stood giggling outside the classroom door. They had succeeded in their mission… and this was only stage one.

 

---

 

Jessica walked around campus with her arm linked with Sunny’s arm. Sica had informed Sunny of everything that happened at the airport and what Luhan did, causing Sunny to also grow bitter towards the new girl – to her, Luhan was completely off limits to other girls.

 

“So what are we going to do about her?” Sunny asked, while looking to her friend Jessica. Jessica had always been the one to come up with all the plans.

 

“Well I have one idea…” Jessica said with a mischievous smirk, “come on!” Jessica then began dragging Sunny to their first period classroom.

 

“What are we doing here?” Sunny asked, looking confused as they walked into the classroom.

 

“Just a little something to show the new girl how we really feel about her,” Jessica responded and took out her car keys and began to carve insults into Jen’s desk.

 

“Ah, I want to do it too!” Sunny exclaimed before taking out her own keys to carve insults along with Jessica, “we’re going to teach her not to mess with us!”

 

“Not only that but we’re going to make her go back to where she came from,” Jessica sneered and pressed even harder while carving various things into the desk. The two girls carved until they couldn’t carve anymore and then they high-fived each other. Stage one of their plan was complete and this was just the beginning… it would only get worse from here – much worse. They had planned on it.

 

---

 

Jen watched forlornly as the classroom began to fill up with the other students and heaved a heavy sigh. Then in walked Luhan, Kai, and Kyungsoo.

 

All the girls, especially Jessica and Sunny, immediately began to fangirl while the three guys ignored them; they were used to constantly being admired by others.

 

Kai scowled upon seeing Jen and then remembered what happened earlier today with the taxi. He somewhat aggressively sat down and folded his arms across his chest – his bitterness towards the situation returned.

 

Kyungsoo noticed how tense Kai became and quietly called his name, causing Kai to turn around. “Are you alright?”

 

“Yeah, I’m just peachy actually,” Kai answered, his voice practically dripping with sarcasm and hostility.

 

Kyungsoo could obviously see that Kai was lying to him but he choose to not further question him – Kai would come to him when he truly needed help like he usually did. Kyungsoo was usually the one everyone turned to for advice… and he was actually pretty good at it as well.

 

---

 

“Okay, okay class!” the teacher shouted as he walked in, “I have some great news.”

 

The class groaned in protest but quieted down in order to respect the teacher and also because they were eager to hear the great news.

 

“Okay, how many of you like the outdoors?” the teacher asked excitedly and clasped his hands together in anticipation.

 

“Oh!” Jen said and raised her hand up high, completely casting off her forlorn state. She had loved the outdoors ever since she was a little girl and even the mere mention of the great outdoors sent a smile to her face.

 

The problem was – she was the only one to raise her hand. Everyone else looked at her as if she were some sort of freak.

 

“Uhh, the outdoors really is not my style, Mr. Lee. I think that’s more for people of a barbaric status, right Tarzan?” Kai said and looked at Jen when he said “Tarzan”, causing the entire class to erupt into laughter.

 

Luhan looked at the poor girl with pity as she slowly put her hand down and looked down to hide her reddened face.

 

“Well whether you like the outdoors or not, we’re having a surprise trip tomorrow. We will be going on a camping trip!” the teacher said excitedly and the class protested even louder this time.

 

“Settle down now… I said settle down!” Mr. Lee snapped and cleared his throat, “now I’ve already randomly picked your partners so listen up for your names.”

 

Mr. Lee rattled through the list of names – Luhan was paired with Jessica and Kyungsoo was paired with Sunny.

 

‘Please give me someone good. Please give me someone good!’ Jen pleaded in her mind while squeezing her eyes shut.

 

Mr. Lee adjusted his glasses on his face and glanced up at Jen. “And Jen… you’ll be paired with… Kai.”

 

 

 

 


 

So how are my amazing readers enjoying these updates? ^w^

I've been writing these really late/early (2:00 AM o.o) these days so I apologize for any grammartical errors!

Leave a comment and possibly upvote even! I'll love you forever :3 keke~