Brink of War

Heart of Ice

‘Naughty List?’ Jen thought while biting her bottom lip anxiously, ‘what does he mean by that?’

 

Luhan looked over his shoulder to see the new girl with a worried expression upon her face. “I wouldn’t worry too much about him. He’s just pissed that someone finally stood up to him.”

 

Jessica pushed Luhan over and stood in front of Jen, placing her hands on her own hips. “Well I would worry if I were you. See, anyone who ends up on Kai’s naughty list never survives at this school – they always end up leaving within a week. Just last week, Sungjae left without saying a word. I hear that he totally went crazy because he couldn’t take it anymore,” Jessica sighed with a shrug, “ anyways, and now you’re the next to go. You might as well head back home while you’re still at the airport.”

 

“Guys, calm down,” Kyungsoo spoke unexpectedly, causing everyone to stop and stare at him, “this isn’t the time or the place to talk about this.”

 

Jen watched the shorter guy as he spoke, thinking that he seemed to be very timid and soft-spoken. “Ah, n-ne… I think I’ll just be on my way now.”

 

“But-,” Luhan began.

 

“Can I have my bags, please?” Jen asked, interrupting Luhan mid-sentence. She didn’t know why but she felt she had to get away from this group as soon as possible.

 

“At least let me carry them to your cab for you,” Luhan replied and looked at her, feeling slightly offended by her haste to get away from him.

 

“No it’s okay, I think I can handle it,” Jen said while awkwardly taking her luggage away from him, “thank you though.” Jen quickly bowed to both Luhan and the shorter guy before turning and clumsily walking away with her four suitcases.

 

Luhan watched the girl walk away and smirked amusedly. He wasn’t used to being turned down by girls and it was even more rare for someone to stand up to Kai. Someone had actually stood up to Kai.

 

‘That girl has got some guts,’ Luhan thought in admiration. He turned back to Kyungsoo and Jessica. “Okay then… lets head back to the school, yeah?”

 

---

 

‘Phew… I’m finally away from them,’ Jen thought as she stood outside, waiting for a cab to pull up. She dropped her luggage on the ground and gently rubbed the red welts on her arms that came from using her arms to carry the other two suitcases. She frowned from the pain and looked up to the sky, heaving a sigh. ‘Its only the first day and I’m running into trouble… just my luck, huh?’ she thought worriedly. All she wanted to do was get through college quickly and with little to no drama – was that really too much to ask for?

 

The sound of footsteps grew closer to Jen but she didn’t take notice of it. “You know… I’m feeling a bit gracious right now so I’ll give one last chance. I will remove you from the Naughty List if you apologize and clean my suit,” Kai said as he walked up beside her. He now had on a pair of stylish sunglasses and his hands were in his pockets – no matter what he did, he always looked like a supermodel.

 

“Thank you for the offer but I think I’ll pass,” Jen said boldly, “I’m not going to apologize twenty times for a simple mistake.”

 

Kai scoffed bitterly and took off his sunglasses and watched his limo as it pulled up. “I can’t say I didn’t warn you… Well, once you’re ready to give up, give me a call, ne?” He winked at her before slipping his business card into her hand and climbed into his limo. 

 

Jen’s face was contorted in disgust as she watched the limo pull away – she simply could not comprehend how blatantly arrogant he was. She blew her bangs and folded her arms across her chest.

 

Kai, on the other hand, was chuckling to himself as he watched the angry Jen from the limo’s rear view mirror. He knew she was going to be a tough one to crack but… he was always up for a challenge. He hadn’t been challenged in a long time. Everyone at the school either avoided him or tried their best to stay on his good side – but that bored him. What he needed was a challenge… and Jen was the perfect match for him. ‘Maybe this will be a fun year after all,’ he thought to himself as he stretched, adjusting himself in his seat to become more comfortable.

 

---

 

Jen was finally able to catch a cab to her new school, California Institute of Technology, and she was absolutely blown away by the campus. A grand, marble fountain stood proudly in the front of the school and sprayed streams of water through the air into the sparkling pool of water below. The vividly green grass waved gently in the wind as if inviting Jen to the school; she smiled brightly at the thought. The school was of Greek architecture but it had a modern, classy twist to it. It was just daebak. Everything here was daebak.

 

Jen pressed her hand against the cold cab window and continued to stare at the campus in awe until it came to a halt.

 

“That’ll be twenty-five dollars and two cents,” the cab driver said, holding his hand out but didn’t bother to look at her. His expression was that of pure disinterest in interacting with his customers.

 

“Ahh, okay,” Jen said and fumbled around in her purse to find her money. When she finally found her wallet, she realized that she only had 10 dollars. “I… I’m sorry, I only have ten dollars.”

 

“No, I need all my money,” the cab driver said sharply and glared at her.

 

“W-Well I’ll give you ten now and I’ll give you my number so you can call me about the rest of the money later,” she suggested nervously.

 

“I know how this works out. I’ve been scammed too many times by people that have tried to pay me later,” the cab driver retorted, “now give me the money.”

 

Jen quickly put the ten dollars in his hand and got out of the car but the cab driver did the same.

 

“I said give me all the money – not just ten dollars!” the cab driver yelled.

 

“I told you I don’t have it! I-I said I’d get it later… just… please… I don’t know what else to tell you,” Jen said on the verge of breaking down into tears. All she wanted to do was get her luggage and rest in her dorm room for a bit before classes started in a few hours.

 

The cab driver quickly walked over to the side of car Jen stood on and got dangerously close to her. “I’m not going to repeat myself. Now give me all of my money so I can leave.”

 

“But I-,” Jen began.

 

“Is there a problem, sir?” a familiar voice asked from behind her. Jen turned around to see that it was Luhan standing behind her.

 

The cab driver’s eyes widened in fear and he took several steps away from Jen. “N-No sir! Nothing’s wrong. Nothing at all.”

 

“Then why were you yelling at this young lady?” Luhan asked interrogatively and raised an eyebrow.

 

“I-I wasn’t! I was just… I was talking to her,” the cab driver lied.

 

Luhan rolled his eyes and took a few slow steps closer to cab driver and looked him directly in the eyes. “I don’t appreciate being lied to. Now tell me how much she owes you.”

 

The cab driver gulped and shrunk away from Luhan. “Twenty-five d-dollars and t-two cents.”

 

Luhan took away the ten-dollar bill from the cab driver then dug into his own pocket and pulled out a fifty-dollar bill and slammed it into the cab driver’s hand. “Now leave and stay out of my sight. The next time I catch you antagonizing people, I’ll make sure you never work in this whole entire country ever again.”

 

The cab driver nodded quickly several times and opened the trunk, hurriedly handing the luggage to both Luhan and Jen before hopping into the cab and speeding off.

 

Jen sighed sadly while looking down at the ground. “Thanks… again. I’m sorry you have to keep helping me.”

 

Luhan shrugged and handed her back her ten-dollar bill. “Don’t mention it,” he said with a tinge of bitterness in his voice.

 

Jen took note of the bitterness in his voice and felt guilty for the way she had been treating him. “I’m sorry for… back at the airport. I was rude to you when you were just trying to help…”

 

“That’s what I’ve been waiting to hear,” he said with a small smile and readjusted his grip on the luggage, “now what dorm hall are you headed to?”

 

Jen sat in thought for a moment before speaking. “It’s called the Commons.”

 

“The… Commons?” Luhan asked – his face showed obvious disapproval. Jen hesitantly nodded ‘yes’ to confirm his suspicions.

 

Luhan faked a small smile and turned in the direction of the Common’s hall. “Then let’s go, shall we?”

 

Jen nodded once again and walked beside Luhan to the Commons but little did they know that not one but two people were watching them and neither were happy about it at all…

 

---

 

Kai’s P.O.V:

 

Kai arrived on the campus a bit early and grabbed himself a cup of coffee at one of the coffee booth’s outside. He took a seat at a table while sipping the coffee cautiously as he couldn’t risk injuring himself in any way – he had an image to retain after all. There weren’t many people out as it was still very early but one thing caught his eye – a cab. Seeing a cab around campus was a rare sight; everyone at the college either drove or took the college’s personal buses to various locations.

 

He squinted his eyes to focus on the cab better and out stepped the same girl from the airport. Kai smirked upon seeing her but… she appeared to be in some kind of distress. His suspicions were confirmed when he saw the cab driver get out of the cab and heard him yelling about money. Kai sighed and placed his coffee down on the table – it was time for him to bring out the heroics.

 

But then… Luhan showed up. Kai scowled while watching Luhan pulling the heroics instead of him. He wanted to be the one to show off in front of the airport girl… he wanted to earn her respect. Everyone else looked up to him and feared him – why wouldn’t she? And if she wouldn’t, he would make her. He’s done it before and he’d do it again.

 

“Aish!” he hissed and threw his coffee on the ground, not bothering to clean it up and stormed off.

 

---

 

Jessica’s P.O.V:

 

Jessica got out of Luhan’s car and fixed her hair. “Yah oppa! Do you-,” she began but then saw that Luhan was quickly walking away. ‘How rude,’ she thought while pouting, ‘wait… where is he going?’

 

She walked forward a bit and saw Luhan standing beside that same girl from the airport. They all seemed to be in some sort of confrontation with the cab driver until Luhan slammed some money into his hand. ‘Oh my god, he’s actually paying for her cab fare?!’ she thought in shock, ‘Luhan oppa barely even buys me lunch!’

 

Sica folded her arms across her chest and glared at the two of them. First that airport girl almost injured Kai and now Luhan was catering to her. Who did she think she was anyway? If she honestly thinks she has a chance with Kai, she was dead wrong. She was the Ice Princess – the Ice Princess is the only one for the Ice Prince… not that new girl. The new girl couldn’t have Luhan either; her best friend Sunny Bunny claimed Luhan. And if that airport girl interfered with her plans, she would make her regret it. Jessica would make sure of that.

 

---

 

As Luhan and Jen walked to the Common’s hall, they were completely oblivious to the tension surrounding them. And that tension wouldn’t stop here – in fact, from here it would only grow. A war was about to break loose – a war that would send the whole college into chaos.

 

 

 

 

 


 

Thanks to all my subscribers and just... everyone! Thanks for reading!

 heart

Please enjoy and leave comments! ^w^ I love reading them!!