Mission Impossible...?

Heart of Ice

"So are you ready to do this?" Luhan asked as he pulled the car into a small open space in a forest about a quarter of a mile away from the abandoned building.

 

Kai sighed as he fiddled with a loose string from his shirt. 'Am I ready?' he thought, already losing confidence in himself. If this went wrong, he'd lose everything. This knowledge was a double-edged sword; it drove him to do his best yet it plagued his heart with doubt that his "best" would never be good enough...

 

"Aigoo... this punk," Luhan muttered to himself before slapping Kai on the back of his head, "Yah!"

 

"Wh- wae?!" Kai snapped, rubbing the back of his head with a pout. He eyed Luhan bitterly while Luhan only returned the look.

 

"I'm sick of you doubting yourself! Do you honestly think you'll win in there if you can't even overcome your own fears? As they say, life's biggest obstacle is yourself; you need to conquer yourself before you conquer anything else." Luhan then realized how tightly he was gripping his own thigh and slowly released his grip, letting out a slow breath in the process. "It's time for you to have faith in yourself..."

 

Kai blinked several times, unale to believe how much Luhan changed in such a short period of time. A month ago he pitied Luhan mostly but now he admired him for his strength. 'That's my hyung,' he thought with a faint smile and nodded. "I won't let you down hyung... I won't let anyone I care about down."

 

"That's what I've been waiting to hear," Luhan smirked and got out of the car, heading to the trunk. Kai soon followed him and watched as he pulled out a laptop and a backpack. "Depending on how encrypted the security codes are... well, uh, enough nerd talk! I'll get it done in no time." Luhan passed the backpack to Kai. "This is for you."

 

Kai immediately opened the backpack and pulled out a bluetooth piece and looped it around his ear; he then put on the black gloves he pulled out and put on his night vision goggles. He quickly skimmed over the other items until his hand skipped over something cold and seemingly metallic. "Hm? What's this?" Kai asked himself  as he pulled a gun-like object with a hook.

 

"Whoa, careful with that," Luhan said, "that's a grappling hook gun; if shot right, the hook grasps the side of a building so you can climb up the wall."

 

"Waa~" Kai gasped in awe as he gawked at the grappling hook gun, "this is cool!"

 

Luhan gently placed his hand on top of it and slowly pushed it down while shaking his head. "Cool enough for you to put down before you kill someone?"

 

"Ahh, nae," Kai agreed with a nod and placed it on the trunk before taking out what really seemed like an actual gun. "Luhan... I can't-"

 

Luhan let out a soft chuckle. "-kill anyone? Relax... it's just a tranquilizer gun - it'll just put them to sleep for a while."

 

"I knew that." Kai laughed anxiously before putting the tranquilizer gun in his holster. "I guess I'm all ready to go then?"

 

"Don't forget your grappling hook gun." Luhan motioned to it and Kai took it, putting it back in his backpack. "Now you'd better start heading over there, I'll contact you through the bluetooth if I need to tell you anything. I'll let you scope out the perimeter before shutting down the main power grid." Luhan opened the laptop and turned to look at Kai with a boyish smile. "Fighting!"

 

"Fighting!" Kai responded with a downward fist pump, casting the same boyish smile that Luhan did. Knowing he had Luhan to depend on made him feel ten times better about he was about to do, however, as he walked further away from him and became engulfed in the darkness of the night, he felt himself becoming slowed by the doubt creeping up again.

 

"Aniyo... aniyo! You can do this Kai... for your mother and for Jen..." Kai said to himself but oddly didn't feel much empowerment from it as he did before. He stopped walking and gazed up at the stars, admiring how they managed to shine so bright. In a way, he craved to be like one... to provide light for those who may have lost their way - if only he could find his own way. "No... do this for yourself. Do this for the happiness you've been robbed of for so long. Because of my stepmother, I never knew true happiness... but I won't let her deny me my happiness anymore. She won't win - I won't let her."

 

With this newfound determination, Kai raised his head higher and continued his march towards the abandoned building. As he drew closer he only felt more driven to dive right in and get his mother out but he knew that he couldn't let his emotions cloud his judgement - he needed to remain completely objective if he were going do this properly. He sighed and observed the building from afar. "So this is where she's held you, huh?" Kai said aloud, clenching his hand into a tight fist. "You don't derserve this eomma... don't worry, I'll get you out of there."

 

Kai... Kai, can you hear me? Luhan asked over the bluetooth.

 

"Yeah, I can hear you," Kai answered as he shrunk back further into the forest.

 

How does it look over there? Is the security tight? Luhan questioned. The sound of his frivolous typing could be heard in the background.

 

Kai pulled out a pair of binoculars and put them to his eyes. "The whole perimeter is fenced in," Kai observed, "I see about three attack dogs and five security guards - two are guarding the main entrance while the other three are walking around the fence."

 

Aish... jinjja... turning out the power now wouldn't be very helpful because of the dogs... I'll see if I can tap into their files to see if any vehicle will be entering sometime soon. Give me a moment. Luhan's typing speed increased and his soft cursing at himself was the only sounds letting Kai know that he was still there.

 

"A vehicle? But-" Kai began.

 

Give me a minute then I'll explain. Luhan slightly snapped and after a few more minutes of grumbling and muttering curses, he finally found the information he was looking for. Bingo!

 

"What did you find?" Kai asked.

 

A vehicle will be passing by you very shortly. It's your job to somehow hitch a ride on it to get in past security. Once you're inside the building I'll turn off the lights. Luhan explained. Kai coud practically hear him smiling.

 

"Yeah, great plan and all but how exactly do I go about doing that?" he asked slightly annoyed by how complicated things were getting. Not only that but the way Luhan seemed so confident with his plan... it was as if he already knew it would succeed. It shouldn't have bothered him but it did. Was he still not as confident as he thought?

 

Since it's a simple meal truck with only two guys, just shoot a tire with a tranquilizer. The driver is likely to get out and check first, take him out quietly and then take out the other guy with a tranquilizer. Steal the first guy's uniform, put it on, and put the other guy back in the passenger seat... they'll just think he fell asleep on the ride there. Then boom - safe and sound! Luhan clapped his hands together happily, desperately wanting to pat himself on the back for working out such a good plan.

 

"You sound like you've done this before," Kai commented with a smirk as he prepared the tranquilizer gun.

 

Luhan shrugged despite knowing that Kai couldn't see him. I watch a lot of movies.

 

"Aigoo... this is't a movie though hyung," Kai sighed but quickly shot up when he saw the car approaching. "It's here...!"

 

Take it out... this is our only shot. Luhan replied seriously before falling silent to leave Kai alone to focus.

 

"Okay... deep breath..." Kai said to himself as he aimed the gun at the rear left tire of the white van. Moving targets were so much harder to hit than still targets but he managed to do it plenty of times at with those water-squirting games at the carnival. 'The carnival...' he thought. And that's when it hit him - he didn't have the training to do this kind of stuff.  "L-Luhan I... I can't." He let his shoulders sag, slowly lowering the gun.

 

You don't have a choice! Either you shoot or keep living your life as your stepmother's puppet! Luhan raged over the bluetooth. He was right though - Kai couldn't deny that.

 

He raised the gun back up and squeezed one eye shut. 'I can do this...' he breathed before taking aim again and firing at the tire. "I missed?!" Kai blurted as he watched the van continue down the road.

 

Try again. I know you can do this. Luhan encouraged more calmly this time. 

 

Kai took a deep breath and squeezed one eye shut again. "This is for my happiness..." he muttered before squeezing the trigger. The van swerved to a halt soon thereafter. "I... I hit it."

 

Don't just stand there then! Take out the driver and the passenger. Luhan instructed before falling silent again.

 

"Geez... I'm glad he gained confidence but he doesn't have to be so pushy," Kai mumbled before slowly approaching the van driver from behind. The unsuspecting man was observing the tire when Kai suddenly wrapped his arm around his neck, putting him in a headlock. "I'm sorry about this," Kai uttered to the man as his struggling faded from violent flailing to nothing. The guy wasn't part of his stepmother's plot but some things just had to be done. Kai checked to make sure that he was still breathing and heaved a sigh of relief when he was.

 

"What happened?" the other guy asked as he climbed of the van, "Yah! Lee Yoon Shik!" As soon as the guy reached the back of the van, Kai was waiting for him and shot him with the tranquilizer gun. He stumbled backward, pulling out the tranquilizer dart before collapsing to the ground.

 

"Okay, I've done it," Kai announced and turned to look at the van driver.

 

Good, now put on the driver's uniform and put the other guy in the passenger's seat. Luhan instructed. Then you can infiltrate the building without being noticed.

 

"Mianhae... again," Kai apologized, feeling slightly guilty about having to take the guy's clothes too. As if it weren't bad enough that he had to choke him out... 

 

Kai awkwardly, but quickly, undressed the driver (thankfully he had on a shirt and boxers under his uniform) and put it on. The fit was a bit loose but that was the least of his concerns right now. He took off his spy equipment and shoved it in his backpack. "Now to put you in the passenger's seat," Kai said aloud and went over to the other guy, effortlessly dragging him back to the van and put him in the passenger's seat. "Thank God you weren't heavy, huh?"

 

This really is like an action movie! ...No! This is... you're like Lee Min Ho in City Hunter! Luhan squealed. This is exciting!

 

"Okay, you need to get out more often hyung," Kai replied as he climbed into the driver's seat, "those dramas can be really addicting, you know."

 

Ani~! I mean... I can stop watching whenever I want to. Luhan defended. 

 

"Whatever you say..." Kai teased. 

 

Yah! You little- Luhan screeched.

 

"Oh! There's the building," Kai observed, cutting Luhan off mid-sentence as he drove the van closer to the building.

 

Aish... you never listen. Just.. get in safely! I'll be rooting for you! Luhan concluded and once again fell silent.

 

Kai pulled up to the front gate silently wishing himself luck as he gripped the steering wheel unconsciously tighter. He prayed that his face wasn't flushed because he felt like it was on fire. 'Just play it cool...' he told himself when a guard approached the window and tapped on it with his flashlight.

 

"Hey, uh, you two here with the food?" the guard asked while smacking his gum obnoxiously loud.

 

"N-Nae..." Kai nodded, still too afraid to make eye contact with the guard. If he asked for any form of identification, he was screwed.

 

"Heyyyy~ I remember your buddy from last time! Must be tired, eh?" the guard casually conversated, referring to the sleeping passenger.

 

"Yeah, he had to pull a double shift the other day," Kai replied with ease. Come to think of it, fabricating stories was his specialty after all. Nowadays he had more of a conscience about it though but he was still pretty good at it.

 

"I know the feeling; I have to pull a double today," the guard sympathized and looked around with his flashlight a bit, "alright, you're all good to go."

 

'I did it!' Kai thought happily. "Alright," he nodded and drove the delivery van over to the building's loading dock. He climbed into the back of the van and quickly changed back into his spy attire along with his various gadgets then climbed back into the driver's seat.

 

Are you in? Luhan asked over the bluetooth.

 

"Yeah, I'm in," Kai whispered as he peaked out the window, looking at the closest entrance into the building. Going through the door seemed risky but going further away just to climb in through a window (which may have been locked anyway) seemed even more risky. He then switched on his night vision goggles as he awaited Luhan's signal.

 

Then I guess it's lights out. Luhan said and almost simultaneously, all the lights both inside and outside the building went out. Good luck, Kai.

 

"Thanks... I have a feeling I'll need all the luck I can get," Kai responded before taking a deep, soothing breath. 'This is going to be one hell of a ride,' he thought as he slowly opened the door to the blackness of the night.

 

 

 

 

 


Ahh, I know I promised action but I swear they'll be some the next update >_< I didn't want to rush anything so bear with me! Thanks for reading (: