Sunny and Kyungsoo

Heart of Ice

Kyungsoo found his eyes glued to the window the entire trip to the campsite because every time he would look over at Sunny, his face would begin turning red. ‘I’ve got to pull it together,’ he thought to himself and rested his head against the window.

 

Then suddenly the bus wheels screeched to a halt – they had finally arrived at their destination.

 

“Alright everyone off the bus!” Mr. Lee instructed.

 

Sunny picked up her bags then nudged Kyungsoo. “Aren’t you coming?”

 

Kyungsoo nodded and silently picked up his own bags, following Sunny off the bus. They too joined the circle formed around Mr. Lee.

 

“Okay, now I’ve arranged a spot for each pair on these camping grounds. There will be two tents, a container of food, a first aid kit, and a fire pit at each spot. I will stay here at the main ground; so if you need anything please don’t hesitate to come to me,” Mr. Lee explained, “Does everyone understand?”

 

“Yes, Mr. Lee,” said the students except the few that stood in stubborn silence – Jessica and Kai.

 

“Okay, there will be a trail leading to each spot… you may pick your own spots. Now,” Mr. Lee said and rubbed his hands together, “go have fun!”

 

“What trail do you want to take?” Sunny asked Kyungsoo.

 

Kyungsoo shrugged. “Any trail will be fine…”

 

“Are you sure? You don’t have to go along with whatever I want,” Sunny said becoming disappointed at the lack of conversation.

 

“I’m sure,” Kyungsoo replied simply.

 

“Okay then… lets take this trail,” Sunny said while pointing at one.

 

Kyungsoo didn’t respond and only followed behind Sunny as they walked up the trail.

 

“Do you remember when we went camping?” Sunny asked.

 

“Back in sixth grade,” Kyungsoo remembered with a small smile.

 

“Ah, so you do remember!” Sunny exclaimed and looked over her shoulder at him.

 

“How could I forget?” Kyungsoo asked rhetorically.

 

“Well… I don’t know. I just thought you would have,” Sunny said quietly with a shrug.

 

The two of them finally arrived at their camping spot and Kyungsoo put down his bags. “I couldn’t possibly forget how you sat on a fire ant hill and ran around screaming about ants in your pants.”

 

“Yah! That wasn’t funny,” Sunny pouted seeing how Kyungsoo was snickering, “I wasn’t the only one who got embarrassed though.”

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes grew wide. “Don’t go there…”

 

“Go where?” Sunny asked with a mischievous smirk and put down her bags, “ohh, you mean that time when you ran into that spider web and screamed like a little girl?”

 

“I didn’t scream like a little girl,” Kyungsoo mumbled.

 

“Really?” Sunny asked, “then why did the teacher and other students rush over and ask why I screamed?”

 

Kyungsoo chuckled. “And then you lied for me saying that you screamed because you saw a bug.”

 

“Well I couldn’t let my best friend get embarrassed,” Sunny smiled and then they looked at each other awkwardly – Sunny hadn’t called him her best friend in a long time.

 

Kyungsoo anxiously cleared his throat and looked away from her. “I s-should probably go set up my tent.”

 

Sunny played with her hair sheepishly while looking at the ground – the tension between them was extremely awkward. “How about I set up both the tents while you get firewood?”

 

“You really want to set up both?” Kyungsoo asked in slight shock.

 

“Well… yeah. I mean, I do set them up pretty fast now,” Sunny said confidently, “by the time you get back with the firewood, I’ll definitely be done with the tents.”

 

“Is that a challenge?” Kyungsoo asked, raising one eyebrow.

 

“Why wouldn’t it be?” Sunny replied with her own question.

 

“Then when I count to-,” Kyungsoo began.

 

“Three!” Sunny yelled and rushed over to begin assembling the tents.

 

“Y-Yah!” Kyungsoo exclaimed, looking confused.

 

“Better hurry up before I win!” Sunny giggled, already piecing together parts of the tent.

 

Kyungsoo couldn’t help but smile. This was just like old times… “Challenge accepted,” he said then ran off into the forest to find firewood.

 

---

 

An hour later, Kyungsoo slunk back to their camping spot with a load of firewood. He had the hardest time finding firewood as many of the trees in the forest were still standing.

 

“I’m back,” Kyungsoo called and dropped all the firewood when he saw that both tents were completely set up.

 

“What’s wrong? You look surprised,” Sunny said with a smirk. She was sitting on the ground drinking a bottle of water.

 

“You…” Kyungsoo breathed.

 

“Set up both the tents?” Sunny questioned, finishing Kyungsoo’s sentence.

 

Kyungsoo nodded then began picking up the firewood and placing it in the fire pit. Sunny stood up and helped him with the firewood and together, they started the fire.

 

“I guess I win then,” Sunny said while dusting her hands off on her clothes, “I think I deserve a reward.”

 

Kyungsoo looked at her blankly. “What do you want?”

 

“I want you to be completely honest with me from now on,” Sunny requested looking completely serious.

 

“When haven’t I-,” Kyungsoo began.

 

“You haven’t been completely honest and you know it,” Sunny said, interrupting him mid-sentence.

 

Kyungsoo ran his hand through his hair and went over to the food container to get himself a bottle of water and he also brought out food to cook.

 

“Are you listening to me?” Sunny asked irritably. She hated when Kyungsoo would completely shut down and become quiet again.

 

Kyungsoo sipped his water and nodded. “I’m listening,” he said quietly.

 

“So then you agree?” Sunny asked, continuing her bombardment of questions.

 

Kyungsoo nodded again and looked at the can of beans he brought out. He tapped his chin while looking as if he were in deep thought and then he had a sudden idea of how he wanted to cook them.

 

“Pabo,” Sunny mumbled then sat on the ground. ‘All he does is nod. Nod nod nod! A simple ‘yes’ would be nice to hear sometimes,’ she thought bitterly.

 

Kyungsoo poured the beans into the pot over the fire and handed Sunny a few sticks that had hotdogs skewered on them. “Hold these over the fire.”

 

“Wae?” Sunny asked stubbornly – she was still pouting from earlier.

 

“They’re going to go in the beans,” Kyungsoo said and brought out the herbs he gathered while he was searching for firewood. He started chopping up the herbs on the food container and sprinkled them in the beans, mixing them up while Sunny held the hotdogs above the fire.

 

The hotdogs were lightly blackened on the outside and Kyungsoo took them away from Sunny. “Perfect,” he said and also cut them up, tossing them into the beans.

 

‘I didn’t know Kyungsoo liked to cook,’ Sunny thought as she watched him swiftly cut up everything, ‘what else don’t I know?’

 

Kyungsoo mixed up the beans, herbs, and hotdogs then safely removed the pot from over the fire and placed it on a tree stump. He got a ladle and poured some into a bowl for Sunny and another one for himself. He handed a bowl to Sunny and then sat down with his own bowl.

 

Sunny was eager to try Kyungsoo’s cooking and quickly ate a spoonful. “Wow, this is amazing!” Sunny exclaimed and looked at him wide-eyed.

 

Kyungsoo looked surprised by her compliment and rubbed the back of his neck nervously. “It’s just beans and hotdogs…”

 

“But the herbs you added make it so much more delicious,” Sunny smiled, “this is really good.”

 

Kyungsoo blushed slightly and looked down into his bowl. “Thanks.”

 

“Did you ever think about being a chef?” Sunny asked while still chowing down on the beans.

 

Kyungsoo’s smile completely faded as he looked into the fire. “No…”

 

Sunny noticed how his smile faded and she also noticed that he was lying. Kyungsoo could never hide when he was lying – when he would lie, his left eye would slightly twitch. “I thought I asked you to be completely honest with me.”

 

“I am being honest with you,” Kyungsoo snapped.

 

“K-Kyungsoo…” Sunny faltered. All her time of knowing Kyungsoo, he had never snapped at her or anyone before.

 

“I-I didn’t mean to… I’m sorry,” Kyungsoo hung his head apologetically.

 

“No… it’s okay,” Sunny said quietly, “I… I just want to go to bed now. I’m tired.”

 

“Sunny I’m-,” Kyungsoo began.

 

“I said it’s okay,” Sunny repeated and slowly stood up, “Goodnight Kyungsoo.” She put down her bowl and walked to her tent, immediately crawling inside.

 

“Goodnight…” he said back and put his bowl down. He wasn’t feeling hungry anymore. ‘Nice going Kyungsoo… now you ruined your chance to get close to her again,’ he thought sadly as he watched her walk away.