The Ice Prince

Heart of Ice

Jen’s flight landed promptly in California’s International Airport during the early morning hours – very early actually. She checked her watch to see that it was merely 5:00 AM. She heaved a sigh but at least now she would have time to rest before attending her afternoon classes… How she wished she had came a day sooner so that she could rest instead of going to school after a long travel.

 

She yawned and covered with her hand. ‘I should go find my luggage,’ she thought as she walked through the huge airport trying to find where her luggage would be.

 

“Umm, e-excuse me. Where would I find my luggage?” she nervously asked an airport employee – she wasn’t used to speaking in English again just yet.

 

He looked at her with a slightly amused expression and pointed in the direction behind him. “Keep going straight and then you’ll see a huge conveyer belt with all the luggage on it.”

 

“Oh! Okay, gamsa-,” Jen began but then quickly corrected herself, “ I mean, thank you!” She bowed shortly before scurrying away from the airport employee. ‘Aish pabo, stop speaking in Korean! You’re in America now,’ she thought and hit the side of her head a few times while walking in the direction the airport employee told her.

 

“Ahh, there it is,” her eyes lit up as she came upon and conveyer belt but then she realized… how was she going to carry four suitcases all by herself? ‘Eotteokhae?’ she thought with a pout and twirled her hair for a moment while staring at the suitcases. “You know what? They don’t seem to be too heavy. Besides, how hard could it be?” she said to herself as she went to pick up the bags.

 

However, she was in for a bit of a surprise, especially considering who was only a few steps behind her…

 

---

 

“Oppa! Kai oppa! Are you mad at me? Hmm?” Jessica whined while tugging on Kai’s sleeve, trying to keep up with his pace.

 

Kai, Luhan, and Kyungsoo just now arrived back in California from spending the weekend at Jeju Island, which was something they did often. The three of them traveled anywhere they wanted just because they could. They were young, successful, and handsome – how couldn’t they get whatever they wanted?

 

“Why are you even here?” Kai asked while still walking, glancing at her coldly from the corner of his eye. He adjusted his tie around his neck and ran a hand over his hair, making sure that every strand was still in place. He didn’t know if the paparazzi were going to be around but he wanted to look good just in case.

 

Jessica dug in her purse and pulled out a container of cookies. “I wanted to surprise you and I even made you cookies. Try one… please oppa!”

 

Kai yanked his arm away from Jessica and stopped walking, looking at her with pure loathing in his eyes. “Whatever.”

 

Jessica squealed and opened the container of cookies and held one out to Kai who took the cookie reluctantly. He eyed the cookie with pure disgust and smelled it before taking a slow, hesitant bite.

 

He chewed slowly while Jessica looked at him with eager anticipation, her eyes sparkling like diamonds. She flung her long, golden blonde hair out of her face and tucked a piece behind her ear while waiting for Kai’s response. His eyebrows slightly furrowed as he spit out the chewed-up cookie back into the container and crumbled up the rest of the cookie in his hand and sprinkled the crumbs into the container.

 

“Next time you make me cookies, make sure they’re actually good first,” he said indignantly before walking off once again. Luhan jammed his hands into his pockets and smirked at Jessica before walking off with Kai while Kyungsoo didn’t react to the situation at all – he too walked away along with Kai.

 

“Oppa, that was so mean!” Jessica said with tears in her eyes, "I tried really hard to make these! Really really hard!” She frowned while looking at the mess Kai made in her container of cookies but then quickly scurried after him and clung to his arm once again.

 

“Not hard enough,” he mumbled in annoyance – Jessica was really beginning to get on his nerves. He couldn’t stand girls like her… always so clingy and constantly whining about everything. He took a deep breath and exhaled slowly, his jaw slightly clenched in frustration.

 

“I’ll try again if you want me to oppa. I’d do it for you,” she went on again and batted her eyelashes at him practically making Kai feel sick to his stomach.

 

“I’d rather you not,” Kai snapped, “you could never cook to my standards anyway. Now if you’d excuse me… I have somewhere to be.” He yanked his arm away from Jessica for the second time and began walking to the conveyance belt to get his luggage…

 

---

 

Jen managed to grab two suitcases and was attempting to grab the third one but it was simply too heavy and it was also buried under other people’s luggage. ‘I… can’t… get it!’ she thought as she tugged with all her might. She pulled roughly a few more times before it finally dislodged from the rest of the luggage. Jen, however, lost her balance while she pulled out her third suitcase and fell backwards onto someone, both her and the mystery person falling into heap on the airport floor.

 

Jen heard a loud groan as she landed awkwardly on top of the stranger and quickly scrambled off of the stranger and knelt beside them, keeping her eyes on the ground. “Oh! I’m s-sorry!”

 

The stranger groaned again and propped himself up on his elbows. “Yeah? Well be more careful next time. Saying ‘I’m sorry’ won’t fix everything.”

 

Jen finally looked up to see that it was a guy that she had landed on – a very handsome guy at that. He was tanned to a y bronze skin tone while his raven black hair was neatly styled up and he had a strong, masculine bone structure. His plump light pink lips formed into a grimace while his sharp, piercing auburn brown eyes regarded her with resentment.

 

“L-Look I’m just-,” Jen began.

 

“Oh my god, Kai oppa! Are you okay?” Jessica interrupted dramatically and knelt down on the other side of Kai. She brushed his hair out of his face but he quickly swatted her hand away.

 

Jessica ignored Kai’s antagonizing gesture and folded her arms across her chest while regarding Jen icily, her deep brown eyes seeming to bear down into Jen’s soul. “Do you know who you almost hurt?” she asked severely, “you almost hurt the future CEO of Seoul Enterprises – so I suggest you be more careful of where you’re swinging your crappy luggage.”

 

“Enough.” Luhan interjected, “it was just an accident.” He walked over to Jen and offered his hand to her, helping her up.

 

“Thanks,” Jen breathed quietly and picked up two of her suitcases.

 

Kyungsoo silently helped Kai up off the ground and was helping him dust off his suit. ‘This girl messed up one of my best suits,’ Kai thought angrily while swatting off the dust clinging to the black, silky fabric.

 

“You seem to have quite a lot of luggage… where are you headed?” Luhan asked the adorable girl standing before him.

 

Jen blushed slightly while looking down at the ground. “California Institute of Technology.”

 

“Well you’re in luck because that’s where we’re headed now,” Luhan said with a slight smirk.

 

“Wait, Luhan oppa! You’re really not going to take her with us, are you?” Jessica whined, poking out her bottom lip stubbornly.

 

“Didn’t I tell you to call me sunbae?” Luhan snapped, “besides, it’s my car and I’ll do as I please.”

 

“But-,” Jessica began.

 

“Say one more word and you’ll be walking home,” Luhan said while staring at Jessica coldly.

 

Jessica folded her arms across her chest but didn’t object to letting Jen ride with them anymore – she could tell when Luhan was being serious.

 

“Well then I guess that’s that then,” Luhan said, his sweet smile returning, “kaja!” He picked up Jen’s remaining two suitcases while Kyungsoo, Jessica, and Kai followed closely behind them.

 

“Well now I look ridiculous in this dirty suit,” Kai complained as he slammed his luggage into the arms of an airport employee so that they would carry it instead, “I think I deserve an apology… a real apology this time and not just ‘oh! I’m s-sorry’.”

 

‘Another apology? For an accident?!’ Jen thought irritably and gripped her suitcase handles tighter, causing her knuckles to turn white.

 

“I said I think I deserve an apology,” Kai said again but much louder this time, “apparently peasants can’t hear very well nor can they apologize properly.”

 

Jen immediately stopped walking upon hearing the word “peasant” and spun around to face Kai. “Yah! Okay, you want another apology? Well here’s your apology,” she began, “I’m sorry you’re so childish that you can’t get over the fact that people make simple mistakes sometimes. And I’m sorry that you’re so arrogant that you believe you are entitled to an apology that you clearly don’t even need nor deserve it. And last but not least, I’m sorry that you had to get a few little dust bunnies on your nice little suit… I’m sure it must be the ultimate struggle for you, huh?” Jen concluded her rant by blowing her bangs out of her face and folded her arms across her chest defiantly while observing Kai. She was usually the timid type but she was never afraid to stand up for herself when she felt wronged.

 

Kai stood staring at Jen for a while, not saying anything – his facial expression was unreadable. Everyone else fell deathly silent as their eyes were also on Kai.

 

The deafening silence seemed to last forever until Kai’s lips pulled back into a smirk and that smirk grew into a few bitter chuckles. “Bravo!” he said with several sarcastic claps, “you should know you just earned a spot at the top of my Naughty List and… I don’t like naughty children.” He smirked in a manner that seemed seductive yet highly malicious which sent shivers down Jen’s spine.

 

His smirk immediately faded and his face grew cold as he pushed his way past Luhan and Jen, walking towards the exit of the airport.

 

‘I don’t know who she thinks she is but I won’t stand for this kind of defiance… not at my school. I’ll have her running back home in no time.’ Kai thought diabolically.

 

 

 

 


 

I will be looking over this chapter to find any spelling mistakes. :P I wrote this at like midnight last night keke~ 

I couldn't leave my precious readers hanging ^w^ Anyways, I hope you enjoy! Leave comments and subscribe!

heart